Photo

Slightly More Complex Networking Question...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cyrusuncc

cyrusuncc

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 07:58 PM

Ok, i have a little experience networking wired and wirelessly.

Here's how i have everything setup now.
---------------------------------------------------
My modded Xbox, Cable Modem, and Wireless Router all in living room connected by ethernet cables.

3 Computers connected wirelessly throughout the house.

My roomate also has a modded xbox in his room that he wants to connect to the network. His computer is connected to the main network wirelessly and his computer does have an integrated ethernet port (disabled for now, but can enable it).

A Few Questions:
----------------------
Can this xbox in his room be connected using a crossover cable?
- if it is, will the DHCP on the wireless router assign it an ip or will i have to make it static?
- i have an old router (non wireless) that we could use in the setup, or is this a waste? Will these two conflict since they both have DHCP?

Any suggestions before i go home and tinker with it?

#2 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 May 2003 - 08:30 PM

Can this xbox in his room be connected using a crossover cable?
I assume you mean to his PC? Then Yes. And his PC would have to be set up with ICS and then the xbox could get online through the PC to the wireless router.

- if it is, will the DHCP on the wireless router assign it an ip or will i have to make it static?
with ICS the DHCP on the wireless router will assign it an ip.

- i have an old router (non wireless) that we could use in the setup, or is this a waste? Will these two conflict since they both have DHCP?
I don't see how it would benefit you in any way. You could hook the xbox up to a linksys WET11 so it wirelessly goes right to the router, but if you want a zero cost solution just set up ICS on the computer and hook the xbox up to the ethernet port with a xover.

#3 ratsflif

ratsflif

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 07:50 AM

I have my network set up with one xbox connected directly to the wireless router via an ethernet cable then i have 2 pc's with wireless nics installed. On one pc I bridged the wireless connection with my ethernet card and hooked my xbox to the ethernet card via a crossover cable. Everything works correctly the router gives all pc's and xboxs ip addresses and I can play on xbox live with either xbox (the one directly connected or the one connected to the bridge but the problem i have is that system link games will not work. The xboxs can see the system link game but when you try to join it, it will say connection failed. I cant understand why the xbox live will work but the system link games will not. All xboxs can be ftp'd into through evox without a problem. Any thoughts would be great.

#4 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 December 2003 - 12:46 PM

You'd be better off probably creating your own thread, unless this is dig up old thread day then that's fine.

anyway, so the basic problem is your two xbox's aren't communicating... what ip's does everything have? and the computer with ICS you have no firewall running, correct?

#5 unknownuser

unknownuser

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 December 2003 - 03:10 PM

Iím assuming you wireless router is directly connected to the xbox and to the modem with out a hub/switch in-between
If so how many ports does it have? If it has an unused port you can just plug in there.
So long as there is a dhcp server on the network (modem probably) it should get an ip automatically

About using the crossover cable it would depend on weather or not the wireless router is auto switching.

If your old hub has at least 4 ports you can set it up like this

~~~~|-----------wireless router
~old~|----------------first xbox
~hub~|--------------------cable modem
~~~~|-------------------------second xbox

Edited by unknownuser, 12 December 2003 - 03:16 PM.

#6 ratsflif

ratsflif

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:08 AM

all computers and xbox's have an ip 192.168.1.10* and there is no fire wall on the pc that is running the bridge.

The router has 4 ports on it but thats not the issue. 1 xbox is directly connected to the router with a standard ethernet cable the cable modem is connect to the wan port and is all working correctly. I could plug the 2nd xbox directly into one of the other ports but that would defeat the purpose of it being wireless.

#7 unknownuser

unknownuser

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 December 2003 - 11:26 AM

oh ok i understand now
i'm guessing that you can use a wireless bridge
just make sure it's the same protocal as your wireless router