nickmoul

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:31 PM

Hi,

I am UK based PS3 owner, with Japanese PS3. Had to get from HK as my 10 days visit to Disney, in Orlando, revealed zero PS3's up to last Friday.

So my PS3 plays US games and US Blu-Ray, but will not play US or Europe DVD's. Region 1 DVD's it says are "wrong region". Europe DVD's it says no to PAL (Europe's version of NTSC), even though Japan is DVD region 2 as is Europe. Mad!!

I love my PS3, the machine is beautiful, works with 100-240v out of the box and the HD using HDMI is silky gorgeous. My TV is a 32" Sony S series, but will add a 40" X when funds and SWMBO permit.

So Anyone ideas on the DVD regions hacks? I upgraded the Sony firmware to US 1.30 but no change to DVD regions, not surprisingly.

Thanks for any help,

Nick, UK

#2 dvsone

dvsone

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

I guess you could install Linux and use DVD player software that supports multi-region DVD's.

Edited by dvsone, 10 December 2006 - 02:31 PM.

#3 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:13 PM

Yeah I have the same problem. It just says 'Playback in the PAL region is not supported'. Its not going to be easy to hack the PS3 to play any region DVD's. Your better off just to watch the DVD thru Linux.

#4 blozzer

blozzer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:17 AM

Hello,
is there a step by step(idiots guide) to installing a linux dvd player to a Jap PS3 to enable pal dvd playback around anywhere.

thanks for any info,
Bloz

#5 dynt

dynt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:49 AM

easiest way is just back up your dvds using dvd decripter it takes the region code out of the dvd

#6 blozzer

blozzer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:16 PM

It`s not the region code(Jap is region 2) its the video format that causes the problem( Jap wont play pal only ntsc).

bloz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users