Photo

Possible To Slow The Dvd Drive Down With Firmware?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pmcguire

pmcguire

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:47 AM

Hi,

I have the Hitachi drive with Extreme firmware (2.3 stealth R2)
Anyway is it possible to recode the firmware do that the drive doesn't spin 100% ?
Was playing Burnout last night with headphones on and about 30 mins later the wife came out of the bedroom with that look in her eye. I asked her what the hell she was doing and took my headphones off, greeted with a noise that can be best described as "Airportesque" mostly from the DVD drive.

Thanks for any help.

#2 Knasen

Knasen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(pmcguire @ Dec 11 2006, 07:54 AM) View Post

Hi,

Anyway is it possible to recode the firmware do that the drive doesn't spin 100% ?
Was playing Burnout last night with headphones on and about 30 mins later the wife came out of the bedroom with that look in her eye. I asked her what the hell she was doing and took my headphones off, greeted with a noise that can be best described as "Airportesque" mostly from the DVD drive.

Thanks for any help.

Reflash drive with Xtreme4.2b, the "b" versions run dvdrom in slower speed, thus also decreasing the hissing noice it makes when spinning.

from the readme:

"For Xtreme 4.2A default backup Read Speed is same as original game disks 12x. When Original Game disk is booted, all subsequent backup loading will be at Quiet/Slow Read mode, Original Game disks are unaffected. Turn console off/on to reset back to Default backup read speed (12x). Quiet/Slow Read Speed is for quiet operation and/or cheap DVD+R DL media.

FOr Xtreme 4.2B default backup Read Speed is Quiet/Slow 2-4x. When Original Game disk is booted, all subsequent backup loading will be at Fast Read mode 12x, Original Game disks are unaffected. Turn console off/on to reset back to Default backup read speed for backups (2-4x)."

So with 4.2b firmware, your backups will be read in 2-4x, and originals at 12x. I suggest your make a copy of your original Burnout and run that one instead.

#3 KIPPERMAN32

KIPPERMAN32

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(Knasen @ Dec 11 2006, 12:19 PM) View Post

Reflash drive with Xtreme4.2b, the "b" versions run dvdrom in slower speed, thus also decreasing the hissing noice it makes when spinning.

Above only for Sammy drives M8...He`s got hitachi.

#4 TristanBlade

TristanBlade

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(pmcguire @ Dec 11 2006, 01:54 AM) View Post

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

lol. "Airporteque" love that.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to do that yet on the hitachis.

My sammy's the same playing originals - thank god for the slow speed on backups - can't hear it spinning at all - all I hear are subdued seek sounds.

#5 bho76

bho76

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

that sucks.. i flashed with 4.2 last night on my sammy. looks like i have to open it again and use 4.2b

#6 xbox360sexual

xbox360sexual

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:19 PM

Or you could just put in an original game first and then use a backup, although flashing with version B makes it easier.

#7 willie84

willie84

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:50 PM

Hello,

Further to this discussion i have flashed 3 drives

LG 47DJ works good, sounds like a bloody hair dryer
LG 47DJ works good, sounds like a bloody hair dryer
TS-943 - works perfect, quiet

on the LG drives i have tried firmware from 2.2 to 2.3 and 2.3r2

still stuck with the loudest noise in the world sad.gif

although playing normal DVD movies, the drive is as quiet as normal firmware

Edited by willie84, 11 December 2006 - 11:50 PM.

#8 Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Computer and console modification and customisation<br />Mechanical Engineering<br />Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:46 PM

hitachi drives are incredibly loud and theres not much that can be done about it at this moment in time. my 1st 360 had a shitachi and the noise was almost unbearable, like concorde was parked in my driveway with full jets on!!

to the guys who suggested 4.2 please read up on fw modding or at least read the thread b4 posting, come on guys you dont need to push ur post count so hard by posting rubbish.

i loved the bit 'the wife gave me that look', i get the same at home too but usually its only coz im shoutin at the tv playing COD3

the reason that dvd's play quiet is because they play at 1X speed, whereas the games usually play at 12X speed and over.

hopefully garyopa or c4eva will implement the drive speed control in newer revisions of the firmware.

#9 willie84

willie84

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:28 PM

yeah needs slowing down, its too noisey for comfort

#10 pmcguire

pmcguire

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for all the nice replies guys, annoyingly I had a Samsung drive originally but returned it because my friend told me that the LG was easier to flash. Last time I ever listen to him muhaha.gif
Anyway hopefully one of those clever peeps will come out with some speed control at firmware level, it would probably even reduce the heat output too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users