• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheRandomDude

TheRandomDude

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:04 AM

Well a little device caught my eye today at the clearance market, it was a handheld coleco system that plugged into your TV and had 6 built in games for under 8 dollars. I bought it and broke it open and I want to know the amount of energy and time it would take to hack the thing to bits. From what I understand, G.O.Bs are rather hard to get into, but it's the RAM thats more interesting to me and I was hoping there was a simple way to change things like gamesprites and sound. (outputs a pretty good 8-bit sound channel)

IPB Image

i'll post the back and higher res if needed.

#2 TheRandomDude

TheRandomDude

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:18 PM

SO, although I didn't get any replies, I did manage to find out that the ram chip is the preprocessor before it goes out to video. Very simply, I can edit the 8 bit output to some pretty amazing video and audio compositions. I'll keep a post up on my progress mounting it onto a circuit board and hacking the audio more, it's quite a handy VJ device. I did manage to burn out the fuse but just bypassed it with a wire (probably not a good idea kids).

The only thing I havent been able to snoop is the sound, i'll keep on looking and hopefully it's preloaded into the ram as well (and just as easily hackable). Keep a lookout for this simple device, i'm gonna buy 2 more.

Heres the circuit diagram for the Sony chip, the 32768-word X8-bit High Speed CMOS Static RAM
_
a14--||--VCC
a12--||--WE
a7---||--A13
a6---||---A8
a5---||---A9
a4---||--A11
a3---||--CE2
a2---||--A10
a1---||--CE1
a0---||--I/O8
I/O1-||--I/O7
I/O2-||--I/O6
I/O3-||--I/O5
GND-||--I/O4

A0-A14 are address inputs
I/01-8 are the actual data inputs
CE1-2 are Chip enable inputs? any help understanding that would be appreciated.
WE is the write enable inputs
Vcc is the power of course
and GND is the ground

I need to study the specs for more understanding, but the only difficulty i'm having is what CE1 and 2 really do and what I could hook up to this sucker (other than the random colors of horror i've been able to achieve circuit bending)

Edited by TheRandomDude, 11 December 2006 - 09:21 PM.

#3 TheRandomDude

TheRandomDude

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:31 PM

Heres a video of the bitcrash, it looks just like when Nintendo consoles crap out. Resets the ram completely so nothing is permanent, and of course looks pretty biggrin.gif

Video Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users