• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aimless

Aimless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:24 AM

So, I got this busted xbox from a friend and when it starts up it goes to the green screen of death so I opened it up to see it, seemed okay, no caps blown on the mainboard and nothing burnt or anything and I started it with the case of and heard the HDD clicking, so I figured it was fucked and went on to replace it. My first thought was to use a modchip so I order a cheap Super Aladdin Live...bad choice, poor support and the chip is sketchy, doesnt seem to want to work. So then I looked for a way to take off the security mode on the stock drive (I have 3 stock xbox hdds lying around) and found the seagate firmware flashing method and unlocked the old ones and had to make an EEPROM reader to get the xboxs HDD key and that went well, and I then locked one drive with the key and tried it in the box, no luck, next drive, same deal. I'm about to try the Western Digital I have (the other two were Seagate) but I doubt that will work.. I tried to narrow down the possible errors that I'm getting and have concluded that it must definately be a hard drive matter as, when the IDE cable is unplugged from the HDD the xbox boots, flubber screen goes, and then the Xbox Logo loads and waits for a bit, seconds later the error screen comes up. now, with the IDE cable PLUGGED in the box boots past the flubber screen and just as it gets to the logo, BOOM right to the error screen.. I figure its either I somehow read the wrong HD key or the IDE controller is shot, or by doing the attempted mod job (where the modchip is soldered ontop the LPC holes) I may have caused something to go bad. My only options right now are to try to get the modchip working or maybe find the correct HDD key, if mine right now is wrong (not likely, but I'll double check) or send this aladdin back for a new chip.. like a Duo or X3 or something reliable. Bah, I'm probably going to call it a night for now, hit up some Zelda Ocarina of time on my working N64...

Any expertice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

PS
to make matters a bit more difficult the drive in there, a Phillips, isn't functioning =p it can't read discs right, could that be resolved by fiddling with the pots? or probably more likely to be a bad laser?

#2 Aimless

Aimless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

also, I was thinking of doing a TSOP flash with a newer kernal so maybe I can get the exact error code and fix it accordingly... any good tuts out there for TSOP flashing a barely functioning xbox?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users