26 replies to this topic

#1 Rushers

Rushers

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:18 PM

This started happening yesterday.

I and my buddy played GOW yesterday, then somewhere in the middle the 360 gives a display error (not the red light ones) that it can't read the DVD. So I figured the DVD laser is dirty.

I put in my DVD cleaner (the disc with the brushes) and noticed that 360 is having a hard time reading the cleaning disc (very ackward). The cleaning process is very laggy (with 360 often shows "trying to read the disc" message).

Then I plugged in the GOW again. Now, it doesn't read the disc at all. I also plugged in other games just to make sure, and it still doesn't read any of them. sad.gif

I change the stand from horizontal to vertical, it still doesn't work.

Now the 360 doesn't even respond to any disc inserted to it. When I put in the disc and close the tray, the 360 keeps showing the opening dashboard display (the one with your usertag, how many games you played, your achievement etc.). It's like it doesn't even know that there is a disc in in.

Another unusual thing is that there is no red lights or any error codes at all. It is as if the 360 is fine but it doesn't know that there is a disc inserted to it.

Any ideas what's going on? huh.gif

#2 jabroniekilla

jabroniekilla

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:27 PM

are you running the hacked f/w? if you are, try flashing back to original and trying a game. if not, I would say your laser and/or drive is crapping out.

#3 Rushers

Rushers

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

This 360 is not hacked at all. Would love to do it sometime soon, though.

The drive is hitachi and the manufacture date is 2006-05-08 (as written on the backside. I don't know if it is May 8th or August 5th, though).

So does that mean I need to replace the DVD-ROM?

#4 Rushers

Rushers

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:25 PM

Nevermind, it seems like the drive is dead. I will ask more specific questions on DVD-Rom forum on the hacking section.

#5 mygameswirelesscom

mygameswirelesscom

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Repair PSP PS2 XBOX
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:40 AM

hi you ask me i think your 360 needs new lenes!!

#6 DL5713

DL5713

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

i too have the same problem... one day my 360 decided it wouldn't read games anymore... now i put a game in and at the bottom of the dashboard where it says reading, a unplayable dist or open tray message will show after the 360 trys to read the game... takes it like 30 seconds to screw up...

#7 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:51 PM

@ Rushers - The laser going bad is a pretty common issue with the drives, since it's a Hitachi that spindle motor could be all gunked up with dirt as well and cause that issue also.

@ DL5713 - Same applies if ya have a Hitachi, if it's a Samsung it could just be the laser.

#8 fringe80

fringe80

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:12 PM

mine will play a game one day, and the next it will come up as unplayable disk, again i've cleaned the lense with a lense cleaner but still the same, drive has been flashed. what are the best discs to use!!??

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

Try the POT tweak on it or replace the laser. As for what discs are going to work better with your drive, that really depends on the drive. Some will read anything, some will only read one or two types, ya kinda have to figure that out by trial and error on yer own because nothing works perfectly in all of them. Verbatim are a good disc most of the time, but again some drives will read much cheaper media just fine, depends on what the drive 'feels' like reading or not.

#10 fringe80

fringe80

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:46 PM

I know this sounds thick but How can I do the Pot tweak?? uhh.gif No worries I found it!! Cheers Mate I'll let you know how i get on

Edited by fringe80, 18 November 2007 - 05:50 PM.

#11 thegame4ever

thegame4ever

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:45 AM

Haha I had this same prob too, just when assassins creed comes out, great luck eh. Buying a new one now, as it's apparently unrepairable, laser was changed and everything.

#12 mygameswirelesscom

mygameswirelesscom

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Repair PSP PS2 XBOX
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

hey lots of time it could be the magnckt
look under the unplayable dist or open tray message
you will see post hey good luck !!

P.s. hey if u repair your 360 plz let us know !!
Unplayable Disc

Edited by mygameswirelesscom, 29 November 2007 - 11:04 PM.

#13 420navigator

420navigator

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:39 AM

I LOVE MICROSOFT pfft. I started playing asassins creed and viola my 360 will no longer read anydisc. Thanks guys love your product.

#14 killamilla

killamilla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:50 AM

Your drive lens needs replacing, most likely. Either that or the power cable or sata cable, but the chances of that are slim.

For future reference, it says in the 360 warranty manual NOT to use cleaning disks. I'm guessing they aren't good for it. If you can't get microsoft to fix it, your best bet is to open up the disk drive and clean the lens with a q-tip and 99.9% rubbing alcohol. And while you're in there, push in all of the tiny ribbon cables to make sure one didn't come loose.

#15 LiLSoot

LiLSoot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:15 AM

i am having the exact same problem. yesterday, my xbox was working fine, now today it won't even read the disc. i tried putting different discs in it but it doesn't read them, it doesn't even know that there is a disc in there. it will just keep saying open tray.
so do you think it might be the laser & that i should replace it? or what?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users