70 replies to this topic

#1 peke

peke

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

hey,

it seems like there isn't mutch research after the hacking of the ps3, just look at the 360 forum that's full of people looking for somthing and what are you people doing? nothing

don't flame me or somthing but i just wanted to say that

ps: srry for bad spelling

#2 chigga102

chigga102

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:24 AM

actually people are doing stuff for 360 its just slow and its hard to hack. the ps3 hasnt been hacked and the reason is not alot of people own one right now but expect hacking to speed up in the next few months

#3 Ramnath2k

Ramnath2k

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE(peke @ Dec 18 2006, 02:26 AM) View Post

hey,

it seems like there isn't mutch research after the hacking of the ps3, just look at the 360 forum that's full of people looking for somthing and what are you people doing? nothing

don't flame me or somthing but i just wanted to say that

ps: srry for bad spelling

They do the same thing what you do biggrin.gif

#4 scienide

scienide

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:41 AM

Arent there any people working on a drive hack for the ps3? The same hack that excist for the 360 can also work on the ps3 ...

Does the drive have standard sata connectors or is it something different?

With kind regards
Marco

#5 calderra

calderra

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(scienide @ Dec 19 2006, 09:48 AM) View Post

Arent there any people working on a drive hack for the ps3? The same hack that excist for the 360 can also work on the ps3 ...

Er, 360 will already accept any standard USB external hard drive... why would you need to "hack" that? That's sort of like the people who "hacked" the 360 HD-DVD drive to work on PCs - (Samsung?) had released the proper drivers on their website at launch. The "hack" was to download the proper drivers for the device.
biggrin.gif

And "nothing" is happening for the PS3? Dumping files to the hard drive, installing arbitrary OSs (including Windows!), and being able to run virtually any Linux program you want is "nothing"? They're doing a LOT with the PS3- they're just not hitting the big goals like playing games from the hard drive.

#6 scienide

scienide

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:42 AM

Sorry, i was talking about the firmware hack of the internal dvd drive to be able to run your backups.

I dont have a ps3... but it's always interesting to know what the machine can do smile.gif ...

#7 calderra

calderra

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(scienide @ Dec 20 2006, 10:49 AM) View Post

Sorry, i was talking about the firmware hack of the internal dvd drive to be able to run your backups.

Whoops, seems so obvious after looking at it again. I thought you'd said "hard drive hack" in that post.
Anyway, while PS3 doesn't have a proper BD drive hack, it does allow you to run Linux and dump files to the hard drive, which 360 can't do. So they're relatively even on a base level.

PS3 / 360
Can run arbitrary OSs / can't
Can run most any homebrew / can't
Runs emulators / doesn't
Doesn't have a disc drive hack / does
Can't play backed up games / Can, but only on an HD-DVD
Only the hard drive works in a PC / Most periphrials work on PC, with varying solutions required

..and you get the idea. If you wanna play "backed up" games, 360 is your box at the moment. If you wanna be able to pop Linux onto a system and play around, PS3 is your box. Either way, I still say just buy a PC and be done with it. Neither console has anything particularly interesting in the way of hacks at the moment. Certainly nothing as fun as you can still get on regular Xbox.

#8 Oddie996

Oddie996

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(calderra @ Dec 22 2006, 06:56 AM) View Post

Whoops, seems so obvious after looking at it again. I thought you'd said "hard drive hack" in that post.
Anyway, while PS3 doesn't have a proper BD drive hack, it does allow you to run Linux and dump files to the hard drive, which 360 can't do. So they're relatively even on a base level.

PS3 / 360
Can run arbitrary OSs / can't
Can run most any homebrew / can't
Runs emulators / doesn't
Doesn't have a disc drive hack / does
Can't play backed up games / Can, but only on an HD-DVD
Only the hard drive works in a PC / Most periphrials work on PC, with varying solutions required

..and you get the idea. If you wanna play "backed up" games, 360 is your box at the moment. If you wanna be able to pop Linux onto a system and play around, PS3 is your box. Either way, I still say just buy a PC and be done with it. Neither console has anything particularly interesting in the way of hacks at the moment. Certainly nothing as fun as you can still get on regular Xbox.

You do mean dl dvd-r not HD-DVD, dont you?

Edited by Oddie996, 22 December 2006 - 12:10 PM.

#9 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE(calderra @ Dec 19 2006, 08:12 AM) View Post
And "nothing" is happening for the PS3? Dumping files to the hard drive, installing arbitrary OSs (including Windows!), and being able to run virtually any Linux program you want is "nothing"? They're doing a LOT with the PS3- they're just not hitting the big goals like playing games from the hard drive.

Which 1 of those is a hack? Dumping is done with the 'DD' command of Linux that Sony distributes. You cannot 'install' arbitrary OSs (Including Windows!), they can be run through Linux which Sony distributes. Running virtually any Linux program you want (software rendered) is what Sony intended. None of those are hacks.

#10 Kramer987

Kramer987

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:i love to mod :)
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:50 PM

whichever one of you said the 360 hack was hard is a moron lol. the 360 hack is 100 times easier to do than the xbox softmod, and 1000 times easier than installing any modchip. the hardest part of it is opening the case. you guys need to seriously get your story straight before posting because you are only making fools of yourselves when you point out exactly how clueless you are through your posts.

and who would NOT want the system hacked? who would NOT want to extend the potential of his or her system. its a pointless topic.

and dont even try to say that a hacked system will result in fewer or worse games or MORE EXPENSIVE games. unlikely. wont happen. never has.

#11 cyan683

cyan683

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE(Kramer987 @ Dec 22 2006, 07:57 AM) View Post

whichever one of you said the 360 hack was hard is a moron lol. the 360 hack is 100 times easier to do than the xbox softmod, and 1000 times easier than installing any modchip. the hardest part of it is opening the case. you guys need to seriously get your story straight before posting because you are only making fools of yourselves when you point out exactly how clueless you are through your posts.

They aren't talking about the process used to mod the system, they're talking about how hard it was to come up with the hack in the first place! Reprogramming a DVD drive with only a compiled firmware as a source can't be easy.

Maybe you should take your own advice...

#12 Amnitrix

Amnitrix

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:XBOX XBOX XBOX XBOX XBOX 360 360 360 360 360 360 360 360 360 360 YAY!!!! TOOO LOOOOOONG!!!!!
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:03 AM

In most of all this chatter, your all acting like children in my opinion. Let me start off by saying that yes, who doesn't like to see there hard earned money increase it's potential by a massive hack. Second we all will wait and bide our time with 360 and other things as there are things that matter more than just video games. Third who ever said hacking the 360 was easy, it took them months but they got it to work and that's what I'm sticking to, as long as I can backup games and enjoy myself then I'm happy. Fourth, security on the next-gen systems is an incredible feat to surpass, without those egg-heads out there you wouldn't be here nor even know anything about the awesome power of these systems, they put their hard work and thoughts and their life's time into doing all this for you, and most of you just blow them off like " Hell, it's a hack I get it and don't care for whoever did it. I can copy my games and play them and will pirate everything I see until I'm happy with their shitty job in this hacking they did. " If anyone deserves anything of honor and a reward it's those who made this stuff possible. last, for those who just don't even give a shit , wake up and smell the flowers, I don't care if you think your the best hacker out there, there is always someone who will be above you and them, hacks will be made slowly but surely so wait and we will see what our generation will hold for us.

P.S. - Sorry if I may sound like an ass to you all, I don't mean to offend but to bring order to those who want to wine about how there are no hacks avaiable to them at the moment, also what is the first thing that comes to mind when I say "Queer Penguin."

Edited by Amnitrix, 28 December 2006 - 02:08 AM.

#13 gh0st469

gh0st469

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:17 AM

I agree with "Amnitrix"...

#14 Albut35

Albut35

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

When and if there is a hack for the PS3, Sony will more than likely patch it in a few days with a firmware update. The longterm goal would to be to make a mod chip that allows homebrew, but we all know that it takes a LONG time to reach that goal!

#15 heartofalion

heartofalion

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:20 PM

some people may do that, but also running games of the HDD will reduce load times significantly, specially with the 2x read speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users