• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenheart

Ravenheart

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:19 AM

I am about to install a SATA switch for my X360, similar to THIS and exactly like THAT

I have ordered all the parts I need except the switch.
IPB Image
I can get either:
6 amp @ 125 volt or
3 amp @ 250 volt

Can someone please advise me on which 1 I should get as I dont understand voltage stuff! Any advice would b good!

I will post up a pic in this thread once I have done the mod (and maybe write a tut for it if people want)

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:42 PM

You can use either of them, you're not going to be getting anywhere near those ratings for what you'll be using it for.

#3 Ravenheart

Ravenheart

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:13 PM

Thanks man! smile.gif I can now order it without a knot of worry in my belly. cool.gif

#4 Ravenheart

Ravenheart

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

I have almost finished my SATA mod just a question I hope someone can answer for me....when soldering up the SATA cables, should I just ignore ground? I ask because in those other SATA mod threads they dont seem to worry about the ground wires. Here is a quick pic for reference:

IPB Image

As you can see there are the 4 main data wires (in white sheathing) which I will be soldering to the switch, the rst r ground. Maybe I should solder all ground wires to the metal sheilding in the 360 case? Or better to just clip them and ignore them?

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:23 PM

You want all of the GND wires together, don't hack them off. Twist them together and then solder them to the other set of GND wires from the other cables, so the only "break" is where the signal wires have to run thru the switch, so you are keeping GND basically intact, follow?

#6 Ravenheart

Ravenheart

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:02 AM

I follow wink.gif Thanks again for your advice RDC! I can finsh the mod now, will post pics soon.

#7 gallie

gallie

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

Maybe you could post a little guide with the pics? because some of us would love not too worry on whether or not they are doing it right or not?

Would be appreciated! Thanks....

Edited by gallie, 07 January 2007 - 06:49 PM.

#8 turq

turq

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(Ravenheart @ Jan 2 2007, 01:09 AM) View Post

I follow wink.gif Thanks again for your advice RDC! I can finsh the mod now, will post pics soon.
ravenheart.. did u finish your sata cable mod? can u publish some nice and detailed pics of your mod?

also another question..... how many poles has the switch in totall? 4, 8 or 12 poles in totall?
and what did u do with the ground wires? where did u solder them?

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(turq @ Jan 13 2007, 04:36 PM) View Post

also another question..... how many poles has the switch in totall? 4, 8 or 12 poles in totall?
and what did u do with the ground wires? where did u solder them?

A 4 Pole Double Throw switch has... ta-da, 4 poles. It does however have 16 solder connections, if that's what ya were really wanting to know. wink.gif

All of the GND wires can be soldered together, soldered to the side of the switch or twisted together and taped up.

#10 turq

turq

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:42 PM

All of the GND wires can be soldered together, soldered to the side of the switch or twisted together and taped up.
maybe stupid question, but... after combining all ground wires from all cables where do i solder them? on which connector point on the switch?
but u also say to tape the ground wires together and no attach to anywhere?

as i can see the ground wires have no any function in this mod? they are just there and doing nothing worthy? just useless and not to use?

#11 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(turq @ Jan 14 2007, 07:49 AM) View Post

maybe stupid question, but... after combining all ground wires from all cables where do i solder them? on which connector point on the switch?
but u also say to tape the ground wires together and no attach to anywhere?

as i can see the ground wires have no any function in this mod? they are just there and doing nothing worthy? just useless and not to use?

The GND wires don't need to be switched like the others do, but they should be tied together so the GND/Shielding of them stay intact, just solder them to each other or twist them all together.

#12 Ravenheart

Ravenheart

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:03 AM

OK big update, mod completed! smile.gif Took me a while to get it done cause I went on holiday then when I got back and tried to finish it the mod wouldnt work. Turns out it was because the cable I had running to the 360 m/b was iffy. I ended up just cutting the 360's sata cable in half and using that...not very pretty but it works.

Here is where I cut the sheilding. For convenience I wanted a ground cable so that I could just plug it in with the e-sata cable when connecting the 360 to the PC (its very important that the 360 and PC share a common ground while connected). So I desolded some of the speaker jacks from an old stereo system that blew up on me years ago and installed 1 to the 360 and 1 to the e-sata bracket on the PC.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Notice the hole where I put the speaker plug is larger on top than bottom. This was so that I could just slide the plug in from the top, its sturdy. More pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The layout of the wires on the switch looks messy I know unsure.gif I cut 2 of the cables to short so had to put in some more wire. I tested with a multimetre to make sure all the contacts good then covered all with hot glue. The only thing I'm not happy with the mod is my totally crap cutting job on the plastic case. Was my 1st time ever using a dremal tool, shoulda practised on something else 1st I guess oh well. Maybe 1 day will do a paint job and can clean it up then. For the ground cable I got 2 speaker cables, cut them in half and put the ends with the male points on. I then taped it to my e-sata cable so that when I go to connect the 360 with the PC I wont forget to use the ground cable wink.gif The rest of the pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I will try and draw out a pic that shows how all the wires go together. 1 good illistration would prolly answer most questions that people may have about the wiring. More when I can...

#13 Sativaman

Sativaman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(Ravenheart @ Jan 28 2007, 01:39 AM) View Post

I will try and draw out a pic that shows how all the wires go together. 1 good illistration would prolly answer most questions that people may have about the wiring. More when I can...

That would be awesome!

#14 CPX

CPX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(Ravenheart @ Jan 27 2007, 09:39 PM) View Post

could you please post some schematics or a diagram of how the wires attach to the switch? i am seriously thinking about doing this mod. really great mod btw. thanks.

#15 kyle190

kyle190

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(Ravenheart @ Jan 27 2007, 11:39 PM) View Post

Here is where I cut the sheilding. For convenience I wanted a ground cable so that I could just plug it in with the e-sata cable when connecting the 360 to the PC (its very important that the 360 and PC share a common ground while connected). So I desolded some of the speaker jacks from an old stereo system that blew up on me years ago and installed 1 to the 360 and 1 to the e-sata bracket on the PC.

am i overlooking somthing? why do you need the ground to the pc ?
external hdd an dvds only use sata to the pc, no ground. the power is coming from the outlit not the sata cable or in this case the xbox power. either way they get grounded to the same place by the power cord.
or am i missing something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users