• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TripleM

TripleM

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:34 AM

This week I got my Limited Edition Xbox (Xbox 1.2, kernel 5101). I also got my Xecuter 2 Lite and I'm preparing to make it something special. Maxtor Fluid Bearing 120 Gb HD, a new fan and maybe a new DVD-drive.

First things first though, I am getting way too much info about BIOS'es! Also the relation between a dashboard and a BIOS confuses me sometimes.

For instance, what is the default BIOS? I know that the M$ dashboard is the default dashboard and that EvoX is a replacement dashboard. But then there's the Linux Cromwell BIOS that comes with my Xecuter 2 Lite, there's also an EvoX BIOS and also an Xecuter 2 BIOS right? I don't know which one to go with!

If I understand correctly the Linux Cromwell BIOS is pre-flashed so you can boot Linux from CD or HD. But which one is right for me? I want to install EvoX, should I then go for the latest EvoX BIOS I can find?

#2 Fire

Fire

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Xbox<br />Internet<br />Cars<br />Computers<br />Gadgets<br />Electronics<br />TV<br />Satellite
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:47 AM

i suggest u go for the latest X2 bios.. not the Evox!..

it has all the features Evox has and more!

cheers!

yeah with the X2 bios.. u can launch Evox (dashboard)

cheers

#3 Sephiroth311

Sephiroth311

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 12:20 PM

Ive used many different types of BIOS and to be honest most of them feel almost exactly the same.
The relationship is that any newer BIOS will allow you to run unsigned code.
The difference between X2/EvoX BIOX and the cromwell is that cromwell is legal, but to be honest I think even the mandrake linux website doesnt recommend running linux on your xbox lol.
The EvoX.D.6 BIOS seems to be pretty basic, I liked it, but it boots "xboxdash.xbe"-meaning you have to rename both M$ xboxdash AND your evoxdash, so every time you want to play Live you have to rename-kinda annoying, I stumbled across my EvoX2.5.colormod.err.noani.ybox BIOS not too long ago, those are cool, they change the color of the X, remove the flubber animation, give you details when you get an error, and loads yboxdash.xbe, so you can leave M$'s named xboxdash.xbe.
In my opinoin BIOS preferance is just a matter of personal customization.

#4 tyronemcbg

tyronemcbg

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 04:38 PM

Just use the latest, " 4976.02 ". It is reliable, and will auto-patch many of the newer games.

Late...

#5 TripleM

TripleM

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 06:20 PM

That's the one I got.. I've prepared everything but I will try CD-R's because I currently don't have CD-RW's lying around.. They're Taiyo Yuden (highest quality) burned at single speed so I hope they work..

#6 CYCLOPSE

CYCLOPSE

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 07:45 PM

also.....if u like the the "x" a cetain color the the new xecuter comes with colors too....i couldnt find it on xbins but i do have them

#7 psibob84

psibob84

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:09 PM

the latest X2 bios will also load evoxdash.xbe or nexgen.xbe when the chip is on so you can leave you main xboxdash alone for playing XBlive etc.
also that way when you hit xbox live tabs in ames they wont nuke (that means screw up/with) you evox dashboard.

#8 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:24 PM

EvoX D.6 does support xboxdash/evoxdash. Also, you do not have to download a pre-customized BIOS like "EvoX2.5.colormod.err.noani.ybox". You can just use XBtool. I think you may need to use fancbox on the EvoX BIOSes...I forget.

#9 ironicmullet

ironicmullet

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 May 2003 - 11:33 PM

I thought I would like to add that I have x2lite modchip and have have problems getting my most recent backed up games to boot from my 120 gig wd hdd. I then flashed the new xecutor 2 4976.02 bios via evox dashboard, yet still had some problems. So then I read in this forum that IGR(in game reset) was causing problems on games booting up, so I opened up evox.ini within my evox folder and changed all the IGR setting to no. Now all my new games boot without a problem. And all of this done on a Mac? No? Oh yes...an its given me a fuggin headache. Whoohoo! beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users