X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:48 AM

Hey all,
I was wondering if I'm the only one fed up with the shotgun fest that GOW has become. When the game first came out it wasn't to bad now all it is, is a bunch of people jumping at you and shotgunning you in the face before you can even move. I'm just tired of it and hope that there is a patch to limit the crap. It really takes the fun out of the game IMO. Are you guys as fed up as I am?

#2 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:44 AM

similar to like most other FPS that you get owned by shotguns or rockets in one shot.

#3 sp3cialk

sp3cialk

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:22 AM

I wish they'd put out an update so that you can change your starting weapons. I'd love to have matches and start with the Hammerburst blink.gif

#4 vestri_matris

vestri_matris

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(sp3cialk @ Dec 20 2006, 12:29 AM) View Post

I wish they'd put out an update so that you can change your starting weapons. I'd love to have matches and start with the Hammerburst blink.gif

fyi its the Hammer of Dawn but w.e

and to the shotgun thing the key is not to let them get that close, if they dive towards u dive away and keep at em with the lancer till they either go down or back into cover. This isn't Halo 2 where you can jsut stand there and shoot and expect not to die

#5 sidewinder33

sidewinder33

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(vestri_matris @ Dec 20 2006, 06:31 AM) View Post

and to the shotgun thing the key is not to let them get that close, if they dive towards u dive away and keep at em with the lancer till they either go down or back into cover. This isn't Halo 2 where you can jsut stand there and shoot and expect not to die

I understand its a different game and I don't play it like halo. the thing that just erks me is that I can put an entire clip into a guys open face an he doesn't even get downed. he dives at me shotguns me once from the same distance and I'm almost dead, another from the same spot and I'm down. The only gun that has any effect on the head is the sniper. Even halo takes shot placement into account when you kill someone.

#6 tommiwan

tommiwan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Halo, Bioshock, Crackdown
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:59 PM

Every weapon is beatable. I hate when people complain about weapons... Find the strategy that works best to defend against it. If nothing else, they have to get close to you to kill you, so take em out with a nade in the face.

Also, as stated they have to get close to you, so stop that from happening. If you do, their shotgun is severely restricted, and you gained an advantage.

BTW: I do not currently have GoW so I am not a shotgun whore defending myself.

#7 ninja x

ninja x

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:39 PM

a couple of days ago i thought i was the only one realizing this, but i just had to start rethinking my tactics
so that i can defeat "shotgun hogs". i gotta admit it is really getting annoying when people refuse to use anything other than shotguns and sniper riffles, sucks the fun and tactical aspect out of the game. really won't stop me from playing tho

#8 cerealkillajme

cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

More annoying than being shotgunned to death is being grenade tagged, grrr, once your tagged there is nothing you can do. But like said above, you just have to find a way to counter it. Main strategy I'm learning that works is to actually keep the whole team together. Almost everytime last night when our team split up (2 one way, 2 the other way) we lost, with the exception of a few matches where we got lucky. Especially if their team splits into 2s then you can gangup your 4 on the first 2 you find, then just find the other 2 (while your 4 stick together).

#9 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(sidewinder33 @ Dec 19 2006, 09:55 PM) View Post

Hey all,
I was wondering if I'm the only one fed up with the shotgun fest that GOW has become. When the game first came out it wasn't to bad now all it is, is a bunch of people jumping at you and shotgunning you in the face before you can even move. I'm just tired of it and hope that there is a patch to limit the crap. It really takes the fun out of the game IMO. Are you guys as fed up as I am?

Anyone who complains about people using a weapon too much/using a character too much/using a tactic too much probably just sucks at the game...

that's my honest opinion.

Unless you're doing something like standby cheating, or game hacking etc... the game provides the rules, as long as you play within those rules, all is fair.

If someone uses the same weapon or the same character or the same tactic and you can't defeat them, then you seriously suck at the game... your opponent is laying out their strategy on a silver platter and if you can't figure out a way around it then that's your problem...

If your weakness is against shotguns your opponent is going to exploit your weakness until it stops working for them. If they're using shotguns then figure out a good strategy against shotguns, it's that simple.

You might complain that people using a weapon too much isn't fun... you know what I find not-fun, people who bitch and moan constantly about loosing, and blaming it on the way other people like to play instead of doing something about it by formulating a better strategy and improving themselves.

People complain about the plasma sword in Halo, they complain about E-Honda in SFII, they complain about Smoke in UMK3, and now I hear people complaining about the Shotgun in Gears.

I don't have that problem because when I see people taking the cheap way out I spend a little time to come up with a good strategy against it... I guarantee if you play against shotgun whores and you have a good strategy against them in a 5 round game, by the end of the 2nd round you wont be playing against shotguns anymore.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe people are using the shotgun on you because it's the best close range weapon and you're letting people get in close? Don't you think coming up with a good strategy to stop that might make you a better player then complaining on a forum?

#10 tommiwan

tommiwan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Halo, Bioshock, Crackdown
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

Preach on TS!!! I could not agree with you more.

#11 sp3cialk

sp3cialk

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(vestri_matris @ Dec 20 2006, 07:31 AM) View Post

wow... you must not have any idea of what I was talking about... Hammerbusrt if what you start the game with when Dom frees you... it's the locust rifle... burst fire... and awesome weapon... I can't stand the hammer of dawn... not that people overly use it... just not great with it in multiplayer... that's why i can't stand it... i ususally get sniped if i try using it... lol

#12 ninja x

ninja x

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:14 PM

if you notice on multiplayer people make habits of using the same routine
time after time on all maps, just learn from it and get ninja like.

my best tactic with "shotgun hogs" is definately do not split up!
another tip is to shoot their knees out from under them outside their shotgun
distance, once they are on the ground aim for their heads. i've almost perfected
this and it pisses the heck out of other players.

#13 sidewinder33

sidewinder33

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:12 AM

Ouch Twisted, you know how to cut right to the core of me, like a little buddha.

I do suck at the game now that its become what it is. I guess its just me and this crazy idea that headshots count for more than, lets say knee shots in a FPS, that keeps getting my all conflustered. I agree that the game was made the way it was and thats really the bottom line. I guess I just haven't played it enough to learn or to untrain my FPS instincts.

But doesn't it seem odd that the only truly effective strategy against the shotgun is outnumbering the gunner 4 to 1? or even 2 to 1 with the fact that 1 is going to die and the other will clean up. If anyone has an effective strategy I am eager to learn smile.gif and am more than happy to dish it out to the gunners.

#14 sidewinder33

sidewinder33

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:16 AM

Now it only took me 2 hours to figure out that I kept saying FPS when I really meant to say shooter. This is just an example of how slow I can be biggrin.gif

Edit, damn I was hoping it did that new self merging, but apparently it doesn't work after 2 hours smile.gif

Edited by sidewinder33, 21 December 2006 - 04:17 AM.

#15 Hozy

Hozy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modifications, Music, Car's, Movies, Hockey, Friends, Crazy Stuff :)
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:32 AM

Think of yourself lucky!!!

I've been scaring the fuck out of people I been playing with... Hiding & shit an jumping out with the chainsaw hacking them up!!! Constantly!!!

Smoke bombs & Chainsaw is all you need for victory.

Cheers
MaT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users