X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 06:49 PM

Question: Mod Chips

( Tony has joined )
( Kar has joined )
Kar: Welcome to the Xbox Interactive Online Support. My name is Kar. How can I help you?
Tony: I wanted to know if mod chip were legal?
Kar: There has been a lot of debate about that recently, but generally mod chips are not illegal as you own your Xbox console and can do whatever you want to it. However, the moment that you engage in software piracy, that becomes illegal.
Kar: You should check with your local law resources to see what your region's laws are concerning to mod chips.
Tony: ok I am against software piracy I just want to upgrade my hardrive to 120 gigs
Kar: We don't support that.
Tony: but it is my xbox so it means I am free to do it right?
Kar: Correct. However, we do not support that.
Tony: ok so if I put a 120 gig HD I can store my games in my xbox correct without doing anything illegal
Kar: You will have to check with your local copyright laws on that.
Tony: ok well my point is I heard something about you will do something so if you detect on sbe. files in the HD that you will erase them
Tony: either in xboxlive or future games
Kar: Sorry, but no info on that.
Kar: Xbox Live will detect mod chips.
Kar: However, what will happen to those who do use mod chips has not been determined yet.
Tony: yes it will detect it but will xbox live erase files from my xbox or damage my xbox?
Kar: Sorry, but again, we do not have any info on that, nor do we have any info as to what will be done.
Tony: do you know if future games will be made different with some kind of code to prevent people from hacking them?
Kar: That would be up to each individual developer.
Tony: so as long as you don't copy games you are not doing anything illegal correct?
Kar: As a general rule, yes. However, once again, you will have to check with your local law resources.
Kar: We are not specialized with legal issues, as this is an Xbox presales support.
Tony: thank you very much carl you were very helpfull with the knowledge you gave me
Kar: It was a pleasure chatting with you today, for your convenience and future reference, you will receive by e-mail a detailed transcript of our chat, including all site links and services. Thank you for inquiring about Xbox. If you need further assistance, please come back and visit us again. I hope you have a nice day!
( Kar has exited )
( Tony has exited ) laugh.gif

#2 alee132

alee132

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 07:13 PM

Gay, if all they are going to do is to check for the chip then all that will need to be done is to, put a swith on your chip and they cant detect it, but then I guess you have to buy your xbox live games. Damn. Hope they change there mind again. If you think about it they will loose even more money checking for mods. First off, alot of people that bought there xbox to play pirated games, have never bought a game, but they would pay for the xbox live service. So m$ looses money saleing the console and never gets any money for software. I guess they are trying to screw themselves over, either that or forcing us to buy just the xbox live games.

#3 82ross

82ross

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 September 2002 - 09:10 PM

Just play them using Gamespy Tunnel or some other 3rd party xbox multiplayer program.

#4 quall

quall

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 September 2002 - 09:38 PM

Most xbox live games probably won't be able to be used with gamespy. I think the game developers would likely have some kind of online setup instead of using the i-link for connecting multiple boxes. But if the games support the i-link, then they can (go on gamespy).

#5 LiquidZero

LiquidZero

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 05:06 AM

I just bought a second Xbox to play Live on... safest, but not cheapest, way smile.gif

#6 thedguy

thedguy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (LiquidZero @ Sep 17 2002, 08:06 PM)
I just bought a second Xbox to play Live on... safest, but not cheapest, way smile.gif

There's another benefit, if your modded system takes crap, you got that backup, and it's modable (most likely) biggrin.gif

hopefully that won't happen, But my friend has had the worst of luck with his. His system stalls and crashes like crazy. The controller that came with the system also messed up. Of course, his system didn't start showing any noticable problem until about 2 weeks after the warranty went out dry.gif Don't u just hate that? makes me wonder why WD and (possibly) seagate and other HD companies are changing their warranties to 1 year like IBM (we all know the problem with ibm i'm sure).

#7 kanchke

kanchke

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 06:40 PM

... but then I guess you have to buy your xbox live games. Damn. ..

I can't cope with that kind of attitude ... I mean, I have a modded xbox aswell, and sure ... the games I rent and are worth playing from time2time are on my 120Gig HDD also. But the REAL games (Halo, DOA, Amped, etc ..), those I buy just to support the system.

If there are not enough people buying games, why develop them then ?

It's the kind of people like you that make the industry sick grr.gif

I must say I had more joy from my modchip in using emulators, skinning the dashboard and using homebrew apps (XBMP & DVD-X).

Anyway ... that's just my opinion .. but who am I to comment/judge you, right ? blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users