8 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Crx

Sir Crx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:47 AM

Well this one I have been working on for a lil over a week(due to work). The first "phase" consisted of just hooking up a 9v battery and testing how it would react. I see no real point in having resistance on it and extra sensor bars are $10. This idea came from the pain it is to wrap up the huge long sensor bar cord and from my girlfriend (and her mom) always wanting me to bring the Wii to their place.

Some of the idea came from me thinking "just hook a 9v up" which was the first "phase" I mentioned. Yet with no real way of turning off the 9v was completely pointless to have it in the first place. So why not hook power and 9v to it. Well now we would be running an additional 9v which would just break it. I figured that when the Wii is at home I can use the cord because I know that I don't really need it wireless because Im not using a projector, an amazingly big tv, or having the Wii far at all. Then when the gf complains about me not going over then I can quickly remove the bar then run over there without having to hook it up or worry about the cord.

So with both a safety plan, so I don't accidently kick in an additional 9v, and not have to worry about it with a removal power cord I present to you a simple yet very satisfying and effective way to take care of it. My Wireless and Wired Sensor bar.

IPB Image
Clean with no cord.

IPB Image
Back. A little sloppier than I had hoped but im very tired.

IPB Image
Switch to choose either 9v battery or power port.

IPB Image
The 3 layers of heatshrink will keep it from bending. The fact that I removed the clip that holds it to the port will act as a quick disconnect(so if i step on the cord it will come out fast without worrying)

IPB Image

I also explained to a friend that im keeping the 9v connector loose because its good to have something weigh the sensor bar down instead of having it lay on top or on bottom where it can move around. (also creating a separate 9v connector like the power point would be stupid because Id probably lose it.) I did in fact modify the plastic stand that came with it to house a 9v but when I painted it looked very sloppy and im going to work on that whenever I feel like it. Thats not a huge deal.

Hope you like it.

Edited by Sir Crx, 21 December 2006 - 08:48 AM.

#2 johnnywikked

johnnywikked

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:16 PM

Very cool.
Infact, the best Wii related mod I've seen yet.

10/10, I can see many people doing exactly that. Well done!

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

I'm assuming you're using a 7805 5V driver to step down the power from the battery? if not you'll most likely burn out the LEDs in the sensor bar.

Even if you are using that step down converter you'd be better off building a circuit that steps UP the power from a couple of AAs (or AAAs or Cs or Ds or any other 1.5V battery). 7805s are only about 60% efficient, where as using a step UP converter is closer to 80% efficient.

I'd recommend this circuit here: http://www.ladyada.n...ake/mintyboost/

I understand why you went with the hardwired adapter but A detachable AA battery pack that plugs in with the same connector would be cool.

Another cool thing would be to wire up a USB Mini port, that way the sensor bar could be powered by something like the minty boost for wireless, or any available USB source using unmodified equipment that you can pick up at any store... you wouldn't have to worry about triple ply shrink wrap tube either, just using professional USB cable and you could even plug it right into the Wii's USB port. smile.gif

#4 Sir Crx

Sir Crx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

Step down isn't needed because I plan to do more modifications a little later that will use just about 9v. Burning out the leds is absolutly no worry to me because I have more than enough if replacing is needed.

On the subject of a usb/mini usb -- that is what I had actually did first. I had wired the female and male ends up but decided in the end that its too bulky and its almost pointless to have that many contact points unused. If I had cut the back end for the femal side it would have been too big for the tiny sensor bar and would have just looked dumb. (my opinion) The power port that I used is very small and probably less than 1/2 the size of a usb connector, and im very content with how the cord turned out. I did mention in another forum I posted this in that the heat shrink does look a little long and I may consider redoing that tonight to make it look better, yet its serving its purpose just fine;)

I understand why you went with the hardwired adapter but A detachable AA battery pack that plugs in with the same connector would be cool.

I took that into account having some type of removable wireless power source but upon thinking about it was yet again pointless because if someone or something happend to that connector I would be SOL. Having a 9v female out the back is probably the most logical thing you can think of because who doesn't have a 9v in one spot of their house? Even if I were to lose the battery I wouldn't have to worry about fabbing up another special connector or anything else.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Edited by Sir Crx, 21 December 2006 - 07:17 PM.

#5 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

Are we talking about the same Mini USB connector?

I mean MINI-USB not "B"-USB

IPB Image
^there it is next to a full-sized USB connector, it looks to be a hair smaller then the connector you ended up using.

It's the same connector they use in many cell phones/PDAs/slim cameras/etc. it's built for tiny devices like the sensor bar.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 21 December 2006 - 07:40 PM.

#6 Sir Crx

Sir Crx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:14 PM

Really though I see no use for that. A usb port thats data transfering is kinda pointless.

#7 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:07 AM

the point is it's a standardized cable... if you loose the custom cable you built you'll have to build another one, if you loose a USB cable you can just go to the store and pick another one up.

USB can be used for data but many devices simply use it for power and nothing more... much like the wireless Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers.

not trying to step on your mod or anything, because it is cool. I'm just throwing around ideas for V2.

#8 Sir Crx

Sir Crx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Dec 21 2006, 07:14 PM) View Post

not trying to step on your mod or anything, because it is cool. I'm just throwing around ideas for V2.

Which is always appreciated. Who knows I might do it. Thanks for the comments though. wink.gif

#9 kaidomac

kaidomac

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:41 AM

Wow, I'm glad I found this sub-forum! I ordered an extra Wii sensor bar and stand earlier ($11 from Nintendo), looking forward to doing a wireless mod. What I'd like to do is put 4 AAA batteries inline on the rear...anyone know where to get a good vertical battery holder? It'd be sweet to integrate a charging plug too for using NiCads or NiMis. Sickmods needs to get on this wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users