Schmo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:40 PM

Short story, old 360 started having artifact issues after just minutes of play. Totally disassemble, reapplied heat sinks with artic silver... no worse but no better. Went and got a new core system for 199 after rebate.

Ok, here is the scenario and questions where I need answers/advice.

New XBOX came with Hitachi... haven't cracked it open but with a MFR date of late Sept, it is probably an 0078.

My old 360 has a hacked Samsung ms25.

Where to go from here.... (yes I did an abundance of searching and reading however i didn't get clear answers so don't flame... I already wasted days trying to fix the old one. smile.gif

1) Can I get the old ms25 to work in this box? And if so is there any benefit since I will have to get Slax 2.0, and toolbox working anyway in order to extract the firmware and keys (at which point I can just patch the Hitachi). The only benefit is being able to run the ms25 with firmwares that are a little more feature rich for the Samsungs. The other side is to keep the Hitachi and sell the ms25 which get decent dollars on Ebay to help recoup my loss.

2) I know I can flash a ms25 with my Via K8T800 Pro, VT8237 chipset using MTKFlash. However, I don't know my luck with the Slax 2.0 and 360toolbox. Unfortunately, I have Vista installed on this machine and I have not seen any report of flashing an 0078 with Vista. Has anyone done it successfully? If not, I can always install XP on a second partition and dual boot.

Thoughts, suggestions welcome.

Flames... well, you know where you can go. laugh.gif

#2 myfranco

myfranco

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:48 PM

Unfortunately, I have Vista installed on this machine and I have not seen any report of flashing an 0078 with Vista. Has anyone done it successfully? If not, I can always install XP on a second partition and dual boot.

Well I have seen people with success in Vista.Don't worry about that.

1) Can I get the old ms25 to work in this box? And if so is there any benefit since I will have to get Slax 2.0, and toolbox working anyway in order to extract the firmware and keys (at which point I can just patch the Hitachi).

you can get ms25 work on the new console.That's quite easy with maximus firmware toolbox 3.0 .What you need to do is spoofing the firmware.You can show the fw as a hitachi 78.

#3 odgaf

odgaf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:53 PM

try opening ur old xbox and pointing a fan at the dvd drive whilst some problems can be resolved with artic silver some others just appear to be systems that run too hot
many people have had success with the aftermarket coolers and in many cases they seem to perform better than artic silver mods
otherwise just dump the hitachi key and copy it to your sammy and vice versa and dump the old xbox on ebay both hitachi and sammy latest firmwares support the ability to spoof a different drive its been done a zillion times and appears to work flawlessly read the info files that come with the latest firmwares and u cant go wrong
but i do think u can resolve ur artifact issue
its easy enough to reopen ur xbox and point a fan at the dvd drive if this stops the artifacts invest in an aftermarket cooler

#4 Schmo

Schmo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:11 PM

Which aftermarket coolers are you talking about? The ones that directly replace the stock 360 cooler or the lame ones that tack onto the outside. Something like:
Cooling Fan for 360

I guess I could try that however it is just a matter of time before something else goes. I had this box for 10 months and stock cooling was fine but now it isn't so something is going to give again eventually.

Just for kicks, I got one to tack on to it to see if it helped, it didn't however I question the efficiency of those (not to mention the known issues they have had).

So if I understand correctly, as long as I can get the Hitachi drive recognized in Windows I can either:
1) Just modify the firmware in it use firmware toolbox and use it or:
2) Get the key and modify the xtreme firmware to use that key and spoof a 0078 firmware.

I also have a SATA box here at work that has the ICH7 chipset as an alternative to try. It shows a SCSI driver in device manager where the box at home doesn't (even though both have SATA drivers loaded). I don't believe there are VIA 8237 Vista drivers that support RAID yet. (The VIA raid 5.30 drivers don't support or load on Vista as it says it can't find the chipset even though I know it is there and work fine on XP).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users