• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ridged

ridged

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:50 AM

Hi there, I was unsure of where to post this, so please move topic as you see fit smile.gif

Im thinking about flashing my TS-H943 with MS28 f/w on it

Im just wondering if flashing these drives is future proof? Is there any way that Microsoft can stop the use of these flashes?

I know people who have very old flashed versions on there xbox360 and they are still going strong. I know the 10second trick is needed with the MS28, is there any way that Microsoft can disable this feature to stop People from flashing?

I don't want to do it, and in a month or two down the road find that they have disabled it and detected all the flashed drives, so i can no longer play.

Thank you smile.gif

#2 dudeman456

dudeman456

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

Just about nothing is Future Proof. For anything to be future proof there needs to be a knowledge of whats to come. Versions after 4.0 and up use a feature called FirmGuard, to quote from the readme file of version 4.2.

(v4.0) FirmGuard added. On by default. Firmware cannot be Read/Written by 360 console. Can ONLY be turned off (Read/Write enabled) via Enable0800 mode.

"FirmGuard disables reading/writing of drive firmware. This is always on. Can only be turned off via Enable0800 mode. Do not have SATA cable plugged into Xbox 360 console when in Enable0800 mode."

The best way for Microsoft to detect the firmware would be for them to try to write to it. Once they discover they can't write to it the Xbox 360 would make a note of it, and inform Microsoft of the error the next time Xbox Live Service was availible.

So its quite possible to detect.

#3 Knasen

Knasen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:31 PM

As previous poster said, NOTHING is 100% future proof. So, its more or less up to you if you want to use a "hacked" firmware or not. There will ALWAYS be a risk that microsoft have some checks that noone found yet (and/or never will find) and if you are that afraid of being caught, I suggest you dont hack your xbox at all.

On the other hand, if youre willing to risk your console for being able to use all the good benefits of having it hacked, then go ahead and flash away.

Noone can ever guarantee you a futureproof xbox. The best thing you can do to protect yourself is to stay away from Xbox Live though. You should be pretty safe with a hacked xbox as long as you staff offline.

Edited by Knasen, 22 December 2006 - 12:31 PM.

#4 nibbles

nibbles

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(dudeman456 @ Dec 22 2006, 11:18 AM) View Post
The best way for Microsoft to detect the firmware would be for them to try to write to it. Once they discover they can't write to it the Xbox 360 would make a note of it, and inform Microsoft of the error the next time Xbox Live Service was availible.

So its quite possible to detect.

Though im sure there may be some way to detect flashed drives this way wouldnt work as firmguard is basically just the security feature that makes the ms28s harder to flash put into the xtreme firmware. So if they did it like that theyd also be banning ms28 uses even if they havent flashed their drives.

#5 kowrip

kowrip

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:LOTS OF STUFF !
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(nibbles @ Dec 22 2006, 01:13 PM) View Post

Though im sure there may be some way to detect flashed drives this way wouldnt work as firmguard is basically just the security feature that makes the ms28s harder to flash put into the xtreme firmware. So if they did it like that theyd also be banning ms28 uses even if they havent flashed their drives.

This is a theory that a lot of people believe. MS may have screwed themselves by using the MS28 drives. Since Xtreme 4.0 and later are based on the MS28 firmware, they can't differentiate between a legitimate MS28 drive and a MS25/28 with the later Xtreme firmwares. I think this theory holds a lot of weight and could be a good thing for firmware modders.

#6 dudeman456

dudeman456

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

Actually to prevent futher people from flahsing their drives, they can attack people that have ms25 drives listed in the Xbox 360's core memory(ie people that received e66).

#7 dudeman456

dudeman456

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:05 PM

By the way has anybody else heard, these ridiculous rumors about Microsoft banning Xbox 360s. One of the rumors goes that they are able to detect modded drives by the MAC address.

http://www.xboxic.com/news/1880

http://foros360.com/...opic.php?t=6675

[url=http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?topic=6059.0[/url]

These have to be some of the stupidest things out there. There are more of places where people heard of somebody or know somebody who knows somebody who ........

Edited by dudeman456, 22 December 2006 - 09:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users