Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

I dont think they make a VGA adapter for the PS3 yet.

#3 redwolf

redwolf

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:31 AM

you can get these transcoders (component to VGA)

www.x2vga.com
www.vdigi.com

you monitor MUST support 640x480p, 1280x720p & 1920x1080i

#4 Solosmooth

Solosmooth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:33 PM

THANKS

#5 supergrafx

supergrafx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(redwolf @ Dec 24 2006, 09:38 PM) View Post

you can get these transcoders (component to VGA)

www.x2vga.com
www.vdigi.com

you monitor MUST support 640x480p, 1280x720p & 1920x1080i

Yeah man, those units are both the bomb and everything else I've seen or heard about got bad reviews. I bought the x2vga+ unit for my xbox and connect it to an old dell crt moniter next to my mac, and the graphics are HD quality. My unit is kind of fragile however, and if it moves around a bit, might turn off the xbox. Not to mention, when it has been jittered around, I might have to power up the xbox like 10-20 times while fiddling with the cable to get it working again in its 720p output I have it set at. But I bought it off of ebay used, not new, and the seller maybe sold me the unit since he or she was experiencing this fault in this unit. Had the original xbox just been able to have a vga extension sold as an accessory like the xbox 360's, the original xbox may have done a hell of a lot better than the ps2, since the graphics when seen in hd, make it look that much better. This was one of the main reasons I was never really impressed with the xbox 360. Basically, the original xbox had the potential of being hd compliant and the new xbox has just added more polygons to the mix. I plan to get either the vdigi vd-z3 or x2vga2 for the ps3 as I will not be suckered into these overpriced hd tvs when you can get basically the same performance from an old crt moniter you probably could get for free on craigslist. Unfortunetely, both company's are out of stock on their units, and usually do not restock for months. Looks like I'll have to use those crappy av cables until they get their units in. This time I want one new.... and am unwilling to dish out twice the cost, like close to 100 bucks for what they are going for on ebay.

#6 The_Hushed_Casket

The_Hushed_Casket

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding, Computer Engineering.
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:34 AM

You could also in theory get a HDMI to DVI adapter coupled with a DVI to VGA adapter. But then again, you would have no sound.

#7 bib

bib

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:32 PM

the HDMI to DVI to VGA wont work
The hdmi to dvi is digital not analog DVI
But, I also have been looking into this and have found two converters
( as soon as I get extra money I will try the FC4)

the first is about $110 shipped to your door (USA) FC3

"DVI Digital,HDMI to HD,PC,VGA,Component Video,Converter"
http://cgi.ebay.com/...Component-Video
-Converter_W0QQitemZ320064047815QQihZ011QQcategoryZ73387QQrdZ1QQs
sPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

but you will also need a HDMI to DVI adapter or cable for this one. (has no audio)

or for about $200 shipped to your door (USA) FC4

"HDMI to VGA,PC HD Component Video Format Converter,HDTV"

http://cgi.ebay.com/...deo-Format-Conv
erter-HDTV_W0QQitemZ320063016626QQihZ011QQcategoryZ73387QQrdZ1QQs
sPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

"has audio"

I asked the seller if there was any differance between the two, if I did not need audio and he replied

"If your not interested in the audio, the fc3 will work just as well.
Thanks "

and you will need a vga to vga adapter cable (most likely M-M) for either one.

I don't think there is any delay in this box from anything I read about it, and the output is perfect (from what I have read that others have stated).

Hope this helps out.

#8 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:16 AM

I'm sorry but $110-$200 shipped seems like a ripoff to just get VGA use. I dont think there is a PS3 component cable yet, I only have seen them sell HDMI cables at the store and the damn system only comes with a composite cable, and thats the damn 60GB, why the hell would it come with a composite cable, thats so damn lame and it pisses me off it didnt even come with a component cable or HDMI and composite cable. I would just wait or maybe you can rig up a homeade VGA cable out of the composite cable?

#9 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:47 AM

If the ps3's bios do not support RGB, then a simple component cable hack to vga will not work. And it depends on how it handles the H & V sync for vga.

The same problem held true for the original xbox. A simple cable would not work. Only once the bios had been hacked/patched to output true RGB was it possible to use a hacked cable. And still there is problems with some games not supporting full color with the hacked vga bios.

#10 bib

bib

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:55 AM

any PS2 component cable will work.

I have heard people rigging the component to VGA and seen a cheaper device somewhere that does this, but have not tested.

the good thing about the FC4 ($200) is if your tv does not have HDMI and only Component/vga this will convert it, and you could run a long HDMI cable to another room(HDTV set) for a HD source that is not in the other room!

Also keep in mind others like me only have 1080P thru VGA on 1year old sets, so $110-$200 shipped seems like a great deal VS. buying ANOTHER HDTV (I wish they would stop changing the standards!!)

Good Luck and let me know if the component to VGA rig works??

#11 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

Most new monitors now come with HDMI so you could look into getting a new monitor. Though it would be nice if Sony made a VGA cable, there obviously trying to push HDMI. My monitor is a 19" widescreen but only VGA so it's another reason why I'm waiting on the PS3. Though we are getting a HDReady TV for downstairs, most HDReady TV's I've seen have at least 1 HDMI input, though not sure if they are 1.3...

Edited by bucko, 02 January 2007 - 07:18 PM.

#12 supergrafx

supergrafx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:16 AM

OK, I just got the Vision FC4 off of ebay and am very pleased with it. Although, I have to admit, I am now broke.... I went with this other than the vdigi and the neoya's due to whatever hd/audio is sent through hdmi, is what is sent through vga/component. VGA is what I needed due to using an old dell crt moniter which I previously was using for my old xbox (well, actually the xbox will still use it, when I want to play fbaxxx). I hate tvs/ they are a scam. Just movies and games for me, and hbo's the wire ofcourse. Here's the deal though on that unit. There is no upconverting, making it probably a truer hd signal for moniters. Honestly I can't tell the difference between the 720p signal from the old neoya x2vga and the fc4. But second, it supposably takes away the algorythm, which has something to do with the hdcp format, which is just copy protection. Thus, I believe the ps3 is not internally copy protected but rather is just copy protected with it's output, being hdcp, which I just got, the cp must stand for copy protected. I am an idiot.....But she didn't think so, at least at the time. Even though it is so much more than the two other chinese brands listed, the fc4 is a lot more plug and play I must say, and I like the metal enclosure rather than the plasticness of the other two brands. Expensive as a mugg though.......Oh, and p.s., make sure you set up a tv next to your vga moniter when you output the internal audio/display settings to the higher resolutions, since the ps3 often will not just register a settings change once the hdmi cable is first initialized. Carrying the tv downstairs was the biggest hassle. So it's a good product, me thinks, and i'll go post him some positive feedback now too.

#13 RonP

RonP

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:06 PM

So glad I found this thread,
thought I was going to have to dump my $5K projector until I picked up the VisionFC4 on ebay.
WOW what an awesome little gadget! Am now watching even blu ray movies on my projector via my PS3.
Guess it'll be good for a few more years..
Thanks
RonP

Edited by RonP, 08 March 2007 - 07:06 PM.

#14 hdmivga

hdmivga

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

Look it's quiet EASY to understand:

PS3 have a HDMI transmitter and HDMI output(it's a HDCP chipset that will encode and send digital encrypted audio/video signal)

Display MUST have a HDMI receiver and HDMI input (it's a HDCP chipset that will decode and output PURE analog RGB to screen matrix)

Usually the HDMI receiver is INSIDE the screen (means soldered on the display PCB).

However there is a way to add a HDMI/HDCP digital input OUTSIDE of your screen.

www.hdfury.com

This is called a HDCP stripper

That's the ONLY way to display 720p/1080p resolution out of ANY HDMI source such PS3, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD player, PC HDMI graphic card, X360 Elite, SAT and Cable HDTV setbox.

So anyone with a HDMI/HDCP source, but without a HDMI/HDCP display have 3 solutions:

- Buy a new display
- Use source with low resolution even if your display is technically able to reach much higher resolution such as 720p or 1080p
- buy a HDCP stripper such as HDfury

Hope it helps !

Edited by hdmivga, 25 March 2007 - 09:01 PM.

#15 jdsp

jdsp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(supergrafx @ Jan 7 2007, 07:52 AM) View Post

OK, I just got the Vision FC4 off of ebay and am very pleased with it. Although, I have to admit, I am now broke.... I went with this other than the vdigi and the neoya's due to whatever hd/audio is sent through hdmi, is what is sent through vga/component. VGA is what I needed due to using an old dell crt moniter which I previously was using for my old xbox (well, actually the xbox will still use it, when I want to play fbaxxx). I hate tvs/ they are a scam. Just movies and games for me, and hbo's the wire ofcourse. Here's the deal though on that unit. There is no upconverting, making it probably a truer hd signal for moniters. Honestly I can't tell the difference between the 720p signal from the old neoya x2vga and the fc4. But second, it supposably takes away the algorythm, which has something to do with the hdcp format, which is just copy protection. Thus, I believe the ps3 is not internally copy protected but rather is just copy protected with it's output, being hdcp, which I just got, the cp must stand for copy protected. I am an idiot.....But she didn't think so, at least at the time. Even though it is so much more than the two other chinese brands listed, the fc4 is a lot more plug and play I must say, and I like the metal enclosure rather than the plasticness of the other two brands. Expensive as a mugg though.......Oh, and p.s., make sure you set up a tv next to your vga moniter when you output the internal audio/display settings to the higher resolutions, since the ps3 often will not just register a settings change once the hdmi cable is first initialized. Carrying the tv downstairs was the biggest hassle. So it's a good product, me thinks, and i'll go post him some positive feedback now too.

I just got visionfc4 was running ps3 into 1080p lcd, so manually changed it to show 1080i on lcd works great, then connected it to VisionFC4 connected to component input 1080i projector, blank screen??

Changed back to lcd image re-appeared, changed over to XBOX 360 running component --> HDMI --> VisionFC4 --> Projector works 100%

How do you get PS3-> HDMI ->VisionFC4-> Projector to work ????

grr.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users