myfranco

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:23 AM

The best way (to me) to flash a samsung ms25 & ms28 dvd drive with compatible sata chipset.

There are numerous topics going on about "how to flash a samsung". First of all, your sata chipset(can be onboard or pci card) must be compatible with samsung MS25 drives.Not all the sata chipsets are compatible with that drive.If you want to be %100 sure ,you can buy a via 6421 pci sata card.There are many ways to read the key and copy&paste but the way i do has never caused me any trouble.

To flash a samsung drive you need the following applications:

--Xtreme Boot Maker V.0.3.6 Click to Download

--Maximus Firmware Toolbox 2.0 Click to Download

--Xtreme Firmware Find it in the usual place.

Here we go :

We need to setup Xtreme Boot Maker.You can find it in the Start Menu>X-Projects.Run the program.

IPB Image

1-- Open your xtreme firmware(here i used 3.3 .The latest one is extreme 5.0 but i find v3.3 is good enough)

2-- Click "Use Custom Mtkflash and choose your sata controller.

3-- Hit "Detect ID -I/O"

4-- Click "Ms28 Bad Flash Compatibility" and "Apply Boke's Patch For Ms28 Drives"

5-- Choose your usb memory stick or floppy ( I recommend USB stick since floppy is not so stable everytime.It may come up with a bad sector and that may cause a bad flash.USB Stick is much less riskier)

6-- Click "Format and Make Bootable"

7-- Hit "Prepare Drive" .In about 10 seconds your usb stick or floppy is ready.

When you check your usb stick or floppy, you will see your hacked firmware in the "samsung" folder as "xtreme.bin".This binary is not ready to be flashed since we don't have our orig.bin to get the key.
Now,it's time to boot your PC from floppy or usb stick(for usb stick you need to set "boot from usb hard drive" in the bios menu.) .Plug your Xbox 360's Sata Cable to Pc's Sata Card or Onboard Sata Controller and leave it TURNED OFF".Reboot your PC and you will be in DOS Command Prompt.You can turn Xbox 360 on now.Type:

CODE
mtkflash r /m orig.bin  

You will see some options.Choose your sata card and this will dump your original firmware as orig.bin. Now,take floppy or usb stick out and boot into Windows.

This time we will use Maximus Firmware Toolbox 2.0

Open Firmware Toolbox 2.0 and put your floppy or usb stick in the floppy drive or usb.

IPB Image

1--Open your orig.bin
2--Copy the key.Be sure you copy the whole key by right clicking and copy.

Close the Firmware Toolbox 2.0 and Reopen it.This time open floppy or usb stick\samsung\xtreme.bin and paste the key.You can hit "replace the key". To make sure, close and open firmware toolbox and xtreme.bin and see if your key is there.Simply put your xtreme.bin to the root of usb stick or floppy where mtkflash is located. Reboot PC. Boot into DOS and turn your 360 on. Type:

CODE
mtkflash w /m xtreme.bin

and hit enter.Choose your sata card again and finished. Don't forget to put 360's sata cable back to Samsung Drive.Check if everything went fine.

To Flash a ms28 is almost same.The only difference is to turn off 360 before choosing your sata card (right after mtkflash command) and wait for 10 sec(which is known as 10 sec trick ,turn it on. Timing is important and you may try for a couple of times for right timing.You need a via 6421 sata card for ms28.

This is the easiest way i do all the time.I never used sam...exe or kdx .Simply these 2 applications makes me sure i have the

correct key and correct mtkflash chosen. If you find easier way don't hesitate to post.

I do not take any responsibility. Do it on your own risk.

Edited by myfranco, 25 December 2006 - 04:34 AM.

#2 dynt

dynt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:51 AM

nice little TUT well done

#3 Elduderino

Elduderino

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

I flashed my ms28 succesfully but did not add my orig.bin key into the hacked firmware.

Is this a problem that my hacked firmware on the 360 is without my original key from my ms28 drive??

Because everything works great and I do not have any problems....

#4 pure_bluff

pure_bluff

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

Nice guide, Ill be using this to do my 360.

Does it have to be 10 seconds exactly? - not 9 or 11!

What are the dangers if its not 10 seconds?

#5 Vounce

Vounce

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(pure_bluff @ Dec 25 2006, 01:20 PM) View Post

The Xbox will explode into a thousand pieces!

#6 mebuddy6

mebuddy6

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

@myfranco

Nice, simple guide. I have been looking over all for xbox fimware hacks for the past 4 hours and this is the most clear. Though I am still have problems.

The MTKflash doesn't dectect my drive. I have tried (i think) every possible option.

When I use the Extreme Boot Maker, I follow the instructions you provided. I have an Intel® ICH8R/DO/DH SATA Raid Controller, which says it is compatible. I do have 2 options for controllers, the other being my SCSI/RAID Host Controller, which says is NOT compatible.

One thing that might be causing all my problems, is that I know the RAID is supposed to be set to native/IDE, but in my setup I only have a RAID option, or a auto-dectect RAID. No native/IDE. I think that is what my problem is.

All Samsung's are either ms25 or ms28 right? How do you tell, does it matter if you have a ms25 and select the option "MS28 Bad Flash Comp" in the Xtreme Boot Maker?

Any help from anyone would be appreicaited. Merry Christmas btw!

#7 unkdunk

unkdunk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:42 PM

I used samread to do my ms28 without any problems.

Edited by unkdunk, 25 December 2006 - 03:44 PM.

#8 myfranco

myfranco

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:50 PM

The MTKflash doesn't dectect my drive. I have tried (i think) every possible option.

When I use the Extreme Boot Maker, I follow the instructions you provided. I have an Intel® ICH8R/DO/DH SATA Raid Controller, which says it is compatible. I do have 2 options for controllers, the other being my SCSI/RAID Host Controller, which says is NOT compatible.

One thing that might be causing all my problems, is that I know the RAID is supposed to be set to native/IDE, but in my setup I only have a RAID option, or a auto-dectect RAID. No native/IDE. I think that is what my problem is.

All Samsung's are either ms25 or ms28 right? How do you tell, does it matter if you have a ms25 and select the option "MS28 Bad Flash Comp" in the Xtreme Boot Maker?

%99 you are not able to flash your drive with that chipset since you can't disable RAID option(you can try "auto-detect raid" to see if that option is same as native mode.If there is no raid ,the controller might work as native/ide.Just a guess and worth trying)
I recommend you to buy a 6421 sata card.Cheap and problem free.
Yes there are all ms25 or ms28 and bad flash compatibility allows to to use 10 sec trick for via 6421 cards.Even if you have ms25 that will not cause any problem.

Nice guide, Ill be using this to do my 360.

The only problem could be mtkflash won't flash.I don't think i waited exactly 10 seconds to flash.It could be 9 or 12 but around 10 is okay.

I flashed my ms28 succesfully but did not add my orig.bin key into the hacked firmware.

Is this a problem that my hacked firmware on the 360 is without my original key from my ms28 drive??

Because everything works great and I do not have any problems....

You better use mtkflash r /m orig.bin to backup your key.If anything happens to your drive ,you can buy a new drive and use your key.If you have your hacked.bin in your hand there is no problem.Keep it safe.

Edited by myfranco, 25 December 2006 - 03:59 PM.

#9 gli7ch

gli7ch

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Girls, Cars and Computers
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

I have tried to use Xtreme Boot Maker, but it will not dectect my on-board SATA, I have used this in conjunction with a Xecuter Connect Kit to flash HL 46D and 47D with no problem, but it will not detect SamMS28 in Windows or anywhere else

#10 mebuddy6

mebuddy6

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:49 PM

Even if I were to buy a PCI sata card, I would still have problems with the RAID? I also read on another forum, that you have to have IDE cd/dvd drive installed via IDE for this to work (360mods).

unkdunk- Are you using on on board sata, or pci. Do you have options to disable RAID completely? Where did you DL the samhack. The thing is I don't have a IDE on my motherboard, my computer is a 3 month old dualcore and doesn't have one.

Well, I just keep getting, cannot detect drive. I have turned the raid on and and switched to auto-detect. I have turned off all the sata, except the samsung one, tried turning them all on. Tried switching the xbox sata to a different plug. Tried with xbox on 1st, and with xbox off 1st. I have even attempted to hexedit the mtkflash to get it to read. frack!

When I tried to use the samhack from my boot disk, I got errors. hacked.bin doesn't exisit, cannot create.... i wonder if it's because I used the extreme book maker.

I do have a MS28, and I keep reading how it's not the same as the ms25. I think I am SOL because I don't have a IDE dvd/cd drive.

I haven't read much on ms28 success with the specs I got. Hey unkdunk, what type of specs do you have?

Thanks for the info myfranco, I guess I will have to try the PCI sata.

QUOTE(gli7ch @ Dec 25 2006, 04:37 PM) View Post

I have tried to use Xtreme Boot Maker, but it will not dectect my on-board SATA, I have used this in conjunction with a Xecuter Connect Kit to flash HL 46D and 47D with no problem, but it will not detect SamMS28 in Windows or anywhere else

Do you have a mtk based IDE cd/dvd drive? Where you able to turn off raid? Which firmware are you using? The firmware in the vid is 3.3

THis youtube link gives a little info, but nothing clear as day.

#11 myfranco

myfranco

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 05:23 PM

The common mistake is not all the chipsets are compatible with both hitachis and samsungs. You may have no problem while flashing hitachi but can encounter problems with samsung. I have sil3112 onboard sata and i can flash hitachis fine but when it comes to samsung no way.My friend has ich5 onboard sata and both hitachi and samsung have problems while flashing. For that reason ,i recommend via6421 sata card since this topic is for samsung not for hitachi.
On the other hand , by applying Boke's patch you don't need to have a mtk compatible ide drive plugged.You may have some ide drives or not ,xtreme boot maker will handle that.
I'm not saying samread ,samhack etc. are not good for patching the key.In this method you see your own key and a good dump. Boot maker and firmware toolbox are good partners for that.

#12 Duke_Nukem

Duke_Nukem

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:27 PM

i just flash an ms25 sammy without a problem following this tutorial,but when i try to do an ms28 it just hangs and it doesnt read it sad.gif

by using xtreme boot maker it shows me what i have on my board which is

-Intel® 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers 266F(not compatible with MTKFlash)
-Intel® 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers 2551(compatible)which is the one i use

my question is,its this /\ /\ chipset compatible with the ms28 somsung,i did an ms25.

from the reading i have done ther is a way of testing before you read the firmware from an ms28,by hittin ESC after you hit the Enter button to read,it should give you a Status 51 Should be 80 if everything its fine,but i get a 70.

any ideas?

BTW great tutorial pop.gif

#13 myfranco

myfranco

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:25 AM

i just flash an ms25 sammy without a problem following this tutorial,but when i try to do an ms28 it just hangs and it doesnt read it sad.gif

by using xtreme boot maker it shows me what i have on my board which is

-Intel® 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers 266F(not compatible with MTKFlash)
-Intel® 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers 2551(compatible)which is the one i use

my question is,its this /\ /\ chipset compatible with the ms28 somsung,i did an ms25.

Thanks you need to buy a via 6421 sata card for flashing ms28.That's the only way if you don't want to desolder&solder the dvd drive.

#14 dvandriesen

dvandriesen

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:11 AM

Ok first i would really like to say thanks alot for this easy to follow tut well done alot easier then alot of the ones i have been reading. my first question is do you know if this works on older computers i have a Dell Dimension 8100 made roughly in 2001. There are no sata ports so i know i need to buy the via 6421 pci sata card but im just worried since comp is older might not be compatiable with this chipset any ideas Intel i850 Rev. AZ not sure if this can help anyone i know there are spots to put the pci sata card just not sure how this will work and if so what is a link to the card i need exactly so i dont go and get one that isnt going to work. hopefully i can get some help got my 360 for christmas turns out its a samsung not the 78k so who knows not sure which one is harder any help would be great thanks DREW

#15 mebuddy6

mebuddy6

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:12 AM

Ok, so no matter what chipset I have, I need the VIA6421 card if I have a ms28? To do the samread? Anyone able to do this without the 6421, and a compatible on-board sata with an samsung ms28?

Edited by mebuddy6, 26 December 2006 - 02:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users