PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:23 AM

PS2 is likely to outsell newer consoles - also in 2007
Posted by XanTium | 28-12-2006 19:23 EST

From businessweek.com:

In December video game maker Square Enix Co. began running prime-time TV ads in Japan featuring battle scenes from its new adventure game Seiken Densetsu 4, or Legend of the Sacred Sword. Every 30-second spot ended with a familiar logo: PlayStation. But the game isn't played on Sony Corp.'s new PlayStation 3 console. It's for the PlayStation 2.

This might seem an odd time to launch an ad blitz for a game designed for the PS2, which has been around since 2000. The PS3, after all, was just introduced this fall and offers richer graphics with more lifelike action. But despite all the hype surrounding the PS3, its predecessor is likely to outsell it for two more years. "The PS2 will have legs well into 2008," says Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities in Los Angeles. And while Nintendo Co.'s Wii console is getting most of the industry buzz, and the Xbox 360 from Microsoft Corp. has racked up big sales in its year on the market, some say the PS2 might even beat out each of those offerings in 2007. "The PS2 probably has the capacity to sell more than any other gaming" console, says Simon Jeffrey, chief operating officer at game maker Sega of America.

The PS2 already owns the industry's all-time sales record. As of last March, Sony had shipped more than 103 million units worldwide. In the year ending in March, 2007, Sony expects to sell an additional 11 million--and just 6 million PS3s. In the following year, Sony will likely ship another 11 million PS2s vs. 7 million PS3s, according to research by rating agency Standard & Poor's.

Read More: businessweek.com

#2 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:36 AM

No shit it's like 100 bucks and there are a million 5 dollar games for it.

#3 mas10

mas10

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:44 AM

you know the ps3 is in trouble when game developers, would rather make games for the ps2 than the ps3. I Dont think game developers like working on the ps3, and if thats the case god help ps3!!!!!

#4 supergrafx

supergrafx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:59 AM

"The PS2 will have legs well into 2008," says Michael Pachter:

A couple broken legs it will have, hobbling as long as it can, before collapsing in total death... My kids might be happy with that system at their mother's house, until I get my ps3 tomorrow. Mwahahahahahahahaha.

#5 Dirvance

Dirvance

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:25 AM

I can't believe im even attempting this again.

Sony is not pissing on everyone who has a PS2, unlike Microsoft who pissed on everyone who had a xbox, espically telling us that a game made for our system would have new maps....but only if we got a 360.

Sony has always said that there plan (just like it was with PS1 to PS2) was to show support for its older system so when those consumers wanted to upgrade they were more likely to upgrade to their product. Good game plan to me. Not as strong arm as Microshaft but hey as we have seen both work.

Let the pissing war begin....

#6 VariableElite

VariableElite

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:08 AM

It's not really up to Sony as to which system developers write games for. The PS3 is crap: consumers know this and developers know it. Of course there will still be games written for the PS2 -- there are tens of millions still being played, while the PS3 hasn't even sold 1% of that number.
And in regards to your Halo map comment, only the most deluded MS fanboy would insist that the Xbox won the last round of the console wars, so why should Microsoft focus on that round, especially with a new, superior product available?
As far as upgrade paths go, maybe you can explain why my PS2 games look better on a PS2 than they do on my PS3? Or is that the ultimate upgrade path: force consumers to buy every version of your consoles if they want to play all of the games, despite advertising 100% hardware-level backwards-compatibility?
Honestly, that's the only reason I even own a PS3 at the moment -- so I can play all the cool PS2 games (Kingdom Hearts, God of War, SotC). And they still look better on the PS2...

#7 red_army

red_army

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:04 AM

Yeah offcourse sony has the record of selling the most consoles,
but it's normal when your console dies aftes one or two years,
I was lucky that it broke in the first year so I got a replacement one,
here in Europe every console gets a two year waranty except for the playstation,
sony will give you only one year,
most of my friends had to buy a new one so is that the way to sell more consoles and be number one on the sales??
I don't think so,
I still have my original xbox and it still working..
Take the 108 million consoles and take one third of at least for the people who had to buy a new one...
What number do you get then??
Greetz

a happy 360 owner

#8 dvsone

dvsone

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:17 AM

It's all about the software baby. How many of those 108 million are still going to be buying games for the PS2?

#9 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(VariableElite @ Dec 28 2006, 08:15 PM) View Post
The PS3 is crap: consumers know this and developers know it.

*sigh*......Yes, the launch was disappointing (but it did have one excellent game), and it doesn't have an internal scaler (as far as we know). Does that mean the PS3 is "crap" and a failure? No. Let's wait until the latter part of next year before passing that kind of judgement. Remember, the 360's launch was fairly mediocre as well, not to mention all of the hardware problems it had at launch too.

Edited by epsilon72, 29 December 2006 - 04:16 PM.

#10 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:20 PM

Honestly, that's the only reason I even own a PS3 at the moment -- so I can play all the cool PS2 games (Kingdom Hearts, God of War, SotC). And they still look better on the PS2...

That was also one of the reasons I bought a PS3. I also got the memory card adapter, so i could get all of my old gamesaves and back them up on my PC and PS3.

It will be interesting to see how the PS3 compares to the PS2 in a few years in terms of how many games/systems were sold. But I have a feeling the PS3 will have a fractio of the sucess the PS2 had.

#11 griffin XXI

griffin XXI

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

God only knows why people give a shit about playing old games on new systems. Play them on the old consoles if you desire and let them fade quietly into history. I am so grateful that MS is focusing their attention soley on the new Gen.

#12 Exist2Resist

Exist2Resist

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:10 AM

Because more than 90% of the worlds populous lives below the poverty line, you ignorant bastard.

#13 davbere

davbere

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

Its great that the ps2 is still so strong.
If I were Sony, I would use the strength of the ps2 to reward devs who put extra TIME and effort into making ps3 games awsome. I would do this by giving them a bigger percentage of $$ for games they develop for the ps2. This would help compensate Devs for the extra time it may take to make games for the ps3.
It only makes sense that devs would want to continue creating games for the ps2 considering the user base $$$ and the amount of time they spent learning to push it to its limits. Hell its only recently that games for it are looking really good.
Sony could use its ps2 strength to its advantage (if they are not already) with some creative thinking.

Edited by davbere, 01 January 2007 - 09:37 AM.

#14 griffin XXI

griffin XXI

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Exist2Resist @ Dec 30 2006, 02:17 AM) View Post

Because more than 90% of the worlds populous lives below the poverty line, you ignorant bastard.

Is that really your answer??????? HMMMM, they live in poverty, yet can afford a new system. Why don't you try again idiot.

#15 VariableElite

VariableElite

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(davbere @ Jan 1 2007, 02:40 AM) View Post

Its great that the ps2 is still so strong.
If I were Sony, I would use the strength of the ps2 to reward devs who put extra TIME and effort into making ps3 games awsome. I would do this by giving them a bigger percentage of $$ for games they develop for the ps2. This would help compensate Devs for the extra time it may take to make games for the ps3.
It only makes sense that devs would want to continue creating games for the ps2 considering the user base $$$ and the amount of time they spent learning to push it to its limits. Hell its only recently that games for it are looking really good.
Sony could use its ps2 strength to its advantage (if they are not already) with some creative thinking.

You forget, Sony's goal with the PS3 is to push their technology in the HD format war. Selling more PS2s does nothing towards this goal (except help pay the bills, but at the cost of PS3 purchases).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users