16 replies to this topic

#1 edcheese

edcheese

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:28 AM

Ok, so I have about 130-150 bucks to spend on a modset. I was thinking about the Xenium Gold Solderless,because I have a 1.6 box and have never soldered. I was also wondering does it matter what type of Harddrive I use? My dad doesnt support me buying this stuff, I I need as cheap as possible with at least 120g space.

#2 garver

garver

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:30 AM

white label harddrives are very cheap do a google search. soldering isnt hard by a duox 2 for 15 bucks shipped

#3 edcheese

edcheese

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:43 AM

Any hard drive is compatible?

#4 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Working on the physics behind wingless flight for humans. Slow going so far.
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:59 AM

Go western digital. You can get a huge drive if you go with a duox2. Only 18 bucks, but you have to solder. Which is great becuase you gain a new skill in the process. Along with no headaches from the solderless board.

As for hd. If you want to use live it has to be ata lockable. Other wise about any ide drive will work.

#5 mikelspencr

mikelspencr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

ill do an install of any chip 10 bucks flat...and oyu pay shipping...and supply the chip...pm me for more info...and you can use any hd that you want...i got Western Digital because they are more reliable in the end. Less failing, unless you get pissed and fling the son of a bison against a wall, but then, maybe the wall would break...hmmm

::begins flinging hd's at wall to test::

back in a few!!!!hahahaahahahahahhaha muhaha.gif

#6 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Sniffing farts under the covers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:57 PM

Check out the HyperX, it's the cheapest solderless chip on the market
http://www.hyperxmod.com/

Maxtor HDD's are generally the cheapest

#7 kaidomac

kaidomac

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

Another vote for the DuoX2. Under $20 anywhere and supports everything but those small LCD front panels. If you haven't soldered before and your dad doesn't support you doing it (I'm guessing he bought the console?), you might want to ship it off to a modchip installer so that you don't risk frying it on your first try. You can pick up a 250gb Western Digital hard drive for under $70 here:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144309

So $20 for the chip, $10 for somebody's install service, maybe $40 for shipping there and back, and $70 for the hard drive brings you to $140, smack dab in the middle of your budget. If you need modchip installer recommendations, shoot me a PM. Good luck! smile.gif

#8 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:33 PM

Tsop, It never comes loose, minimal soldering.. and it's free.

#9 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:37 PM

Just thought of another idea for ya... Look into 'softmodding' and an app called 'xboxhdm'. If you take the time to learn about these you will be able to install a massive hdd without ever needing to go near your motherboard, because you won't need a modchip. This way all your cash can be spent on one big ass hard drive.
Trust me, once your old man sees what your xbox is capable of, he'll be very impressed.

#10 babyblu

babyblu

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:48 PM

I would also say check out the softmod route first since you cant solder. Also if you screw up the softmod its alot easier to fix then if you screwed up a modchip install. Just check out the softmod forum and read up on the process

QUOTE(EverestX @ Dec 29 2006, 09:40 AM) View Post

Tsop, It never comes loose, minimal soldering.. and it's free.

and how would you go about doing a Tsop when a 1.6 doesnt have not have one?

#11 Dracc

Dracc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:30 PM

I also put in a vote for a TSOP If you pick up a conductive pen at radio shack or some such place, you wont have any problems. All you do is dab the tip on two places on the board and you're done. Of course you will need an exploitable game. But I think they are all under 5 dollars at any used game store. Last but not least, a way to get the gamesaves on a memory card. Action Replay would probably be the best bet, since you wont have to worry about drivers to read and write to fatx. Of course you could get an xbox to usb adapter even cheaper. Total cost:

7 dollars for conductive pen
5 dolars for used exploitable game
20 for new Action Repay (Or 4 dollars for xbox usb adapter)

That leaves you plenty for a HDD. That way you can afford to get a massive WD or Seagate. I suggest these brands for their quality(I've been using them exclusively for over 10 years.)

#12 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(Dracc @ Dec 29 2006, 05:37 PM) View Post

I also put in a vote for a TSOP If you pick up a conductive pen at radio shack or some such place, you wont have any problems. All you do is dab the tip on two places on the board and you're done. Of course you will need an exploitable game. But I think they are all under 5 dollars at any used game store. Last but not least, a way to get the gamesaves on a memory card. Action Replay would probably be the best bet, since you wont have to worry about drivers to read and write to fatx. Of course you could get an xbox to usb adapter even cheaper. Total cost:

7 dollars for conductive pen
5 dolars for used exploitable game
20 for new Action Repay (Or 4 dollars for xbox usb adapter)

That leaves you plenty for a HDD. That way you can afford to get a massive WD or Seagate. I suggest these brands for their quality(I've been using them exclusively for over 10 years.)

He has a 1.6, this has already been pointed out.

v1.6+TSOP flash = IMPOSSIBLE

#13 electronblu

electronblu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:55 AM

o.k. not thread jacking here but got a question.... if money isnt an issue then what is the best ship to go with....just wondering

#14 BuyItModIt

BuyItModIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Modding, especially XBOX mods.

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:56 AM

Xecuter3 by far.

#15 v8azlin

v8azlin

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:(+ [ ]:)<br />White 1002K 3.02 OE<br />Black 1002K 2.71 SE-B<br />

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:30 AM

Duo X3

Edited by v8azlin, 30 December 2006 - 05:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users