PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:17 AM

Sony's PS3: High-Scorer No More
Posted by XanTium | 29-12-2006 21:17 EST

From thestreet.com:

After more than a decade at the top of the video game heap, during which it sold more than 200 million consoles, Sony is set to be knocked off its firm position as King of the Hill because of its flawed PlayStation 3 strategy. This is only one of many reasons to avoid shares of the consumer-electronics conglomerate, but it's certainly the most important.

Sony's video-game business is easily its crown jewel. At its best, it has provided more than 60% of Sony's operating profit despite hovering around 10% of overall Sony revenue. Given that Sony is almost certainly going to lose market share, the company's profitability will be dragged down dramatically.

This state of affairs means Sony's historically lucrative video-game unit is very likely to lose its luster over the next few years as Microsoft and Nintendo gain market share in this segment. Plus, one must consider the generally tough state of the consumer electronics business, given how competitive businesses such as high-definition televisions have become. With that in mind, it is nearly impossible for me to come up with a bullish case for Sony.

Read More: thestreet.com

#2 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:02 AM

dun dun dunnnnn ohmy.gif

Even though I own a PS3, I'd honestly rather see them toppled from #1 than to stay the complacent market leaders that they are.

Here's to hoping the underdog ninty comes out on top this generation cool.gif

#3 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Dec 29 2006, 11:09 PM) View Post
dun dun dunnnnn ohmy.gif

Even though I own a PS3, I'd honestly rather see them toppled from #1 than to stay the complacent market leaders that they are.

Here's to hoping the underdog ninty comes out on top this generation cool.gif

EDIT: On second thought, maybe ninty coming out on top might not be the best thing -- historically nintendo has had horrid online support, and right now the wii's visuals are extremely underwhelming.

#4 Exist2Resist

Exist2Resist

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:04 AM

I think youre going to see a different winner this time around. The Wii is a glorified Game Cube with motion sensing controller. I've played Twillight princess for the Wii and the Game Cube, and honestly if there is any difference its very minute. I actually prefer the GC version, the motion sensing controller is a complete flop, if there is any movement that requires precision it is useless. The 360 did it right they kept it nice and simple, they expanded their online system and beefed up their processor and Gfx processor. They inticed Sony's exclusive developers to their system by going with the tried, tested and true. Now Sony is loosing market share because they think they have a PC in the market, where in fact the consumers have no idea what the hell it is supposed to be. And linux, oh please the average consumer has no idea how to change their IP address, let alone run linux and be able to use it. All these PS3 features are kinda useless if you ask me. But you always have that one loser hanging on to a thread of hope... so come on lets hear it!
As far as gaming goes you'll see that the 360 is a clear winner. The Game Cubes... sorry Wii's sales will slow shortly because they have no Sport Games for their system really, nothing bloody, its a mother buying it for a 12 yr old boy for X mas. The true test will be, seeing how these systems hold up in the following months of x mas.

Edited by Exist2Resist, 30 December 2006 - 09:08 AM.

#5 Pheidias

Pheidias

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:00 AM

Graphics isn't everything. If we are to speculate about outcome in this three way I think we need to divied it up into territories. Japan isn't winnable by the 360 acctually even getting half of the 2nd placer is good numbers. The wii will absolutely dominate japan, everyone that has or will own a DS are much more likely to get a wii then any of the other systems ( or is the ds the reason why wii will die earlier then expected?)

The other regions are harder. It acctually comes down to how good will the ps3 and 360 do in 2007. Will the ps3 do the same low numbers the 360 did in 2006 with almost never going over 250k any month. Will the 360 have built up a momentum after Gears and shortages of the other consoles and finaly sell more then the 250k a month. And then is the big super clash of the titan games in fall 2007, will halo be enough to top
the ps3 offerings.
The ps3 can't and won't sell 100mil at least not as long as it will be more expensive then the 360

ps exist2resist you do know that madden07 is best on the wii...

#6 redwolf

redwolf

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

flawed PlayStation 3 strategy

thats cos people released the lying days since PS2 hype.

didn't even released video game was their crown jewel! but their brand name is still strong. i'm not Sony fan-boy or anything, but how many of you go to a shop see a camera for Samsung and Sony, EXACTLY the same and price, but you will want to get the sony brand... so yeah they still got it.

anyways, if PS3 doesn't kill sony, then nothing will.

#7 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

There is always the whole PSP vs. DS / PS3 vs. Wii comparison. Maybe the wii will dominate even with its limitations, like the DS did? The wii will certainly be able to outsell the PS3, but I'm not so sure about it outselling the 360. Microsoft has a lot of momentum this time around, and it looks like the 360 is going to be in the same position the PS2 was last gen.

Only 2007 will tell...

#8 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:34 PM

I think maybe this site should change its name from ps3scene.com to trashtheps3.com.

If only half the people that bought a PS2 eventually buys a PS3 then the PS3 will be a huge success.

I can't wait for a few years to go by so I can sit back and watch all you PS3 haters eat your words. But then again most will probably say they never really thought that the PS3 was as bad as everyone was saying.

Proud owner of a Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii.

#9 Chigawaa

Chigawaa

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Dec 30 2006, 04:41 PM) View Post

If only half the people that bought a PS2 eventually buys a PS3 then the PS3 will be a huge success.

Sorry bro I just don't see that happening. Within 10 minutes of my house I have 3 EB's 3 Gamestops 2 Walmarts and a Target that have all had PS3's in stock since the week before X-Mas. And no they are not selling the units and gettign new ones in, no one is buying them. I talked with the guys at 2 of the gamestops yesterday and they both stated that a lot of people had come in asking about the PS3, but once they heard the price of the console (60 gigs in stock) none of them could justify it and the majority of people went ahead and purchased a 360 (others decided to wait for a Wii to come in stock).

This doesn't seem to boad well fopr Sony. Most of the Hardcore gamers (Everyone here and others) have already gotten their PS3 (including myself). This leaves Sony (US Market anyway) trying to sell to the average consumer and or Parent. Most people can not justify sendign $700 for a console and 1 game and a free Blue Ray movie.

I enjoy my PS3 and the Blu Ray drive is great, but I think Sony concentrated to much on us hardcore Techies and forgot about the average Joe. Looks like this is now bitting them in the Arse!!

#10 Exist2Resist

Exist2Resist

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(Chigawaa @ Dec 30 2006, 12:23 PM) View Post

Sorry bro I just don't see that happening. Within 10 minutes of my house I have 3 EB's 3 Gamestops 2 Walmarts and a Target that have all had PS3's in stock since the week before X-Mas. And no they are not selling the units and gettign new ones in, no one is buying them. I talked with the guys at 2 of the gamestops yesterday and they both stated that a lot of people had come in asking about the PS3, but once they heard the price of the console (60 gigs in stock) none of them could justify it and the majority of people went ahead and purchased a 360 (others decided to wait for a Wii to come in stock).

This doesn't seem to boad well fopr Sony. Most of the Hardcore gamers (Everyone here and others) have already gotten their PS3 (including myself). This leaves Sony (US Market anyway) trying to sell to the average consumer and or Parent. Most people can not justify sendign $700 for a console and 1 game and a free Blue Ray movie.

I enjoy my PS3 and the Blu Ray drive is great, but I think Sony concentrated to much on us hardcore Techies and forgot about the average Joe. Looks like this is now bitting them in the Arse!!

Of course, the PS3 has lost its momentum in the States and Canada, and youre going to see something similar in the EU as well. How can you justify paying so much for a system that really isnt all that its hyped to be. It wont be realeased in the EU untill march 2007, we will see how it does there and then.
And people are bashing the PS3 camp because their marketing strategy, or the lack of one, is laughable.

Myself being a hardcore gamer I would like to own a PS3 but i wont. The reason i wont purchasse one is because of the price and the BD player, if it cost something closer to the 360 and didnt include BD i would consider it. And i think alot of people have the same feeling. I'd rather take that $700 and sink it into my computer.

#11 VariableElite

VariableElite

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Dec 30 2006, 09:41 AM) View Post

I think maybe this site should change its name from ps3scene.com to trashtheps3.com.

I can't wait for a few years to go by so I can sit back and watch all you PS3 haters eat your words. But then again most will probably say they never really thought that the PS3 was as bad as everyone was saying.

Proud owner of a Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii.

That's a pretty big if.

In a few years, if Sony gets its act together concerning the PS3, then I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong. But I don't see it happening, so I'm not too worried.

BTW, if you own all three systems, which one do you currently play the most? ph34r.gif

#12 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Dec 30 2006, 08:41 AM) View Post

Exactly... dry.gif
...but this is an xbox website, after all....

More videogames is a good thing...fanboyism and constant bashing of other consoles is not. Forums are here for intelligent discussion/criticism, not "teh ps3 is teh suxorz!1!"

QUOTE(VariableElite @ Dec 30 2006, 11:32 AM) View Post

BTW, if you own all three systems, which one do you currently play the most? ph34r.gif

I play my PC the most tongue.gif
I just finished Zelda on my borrowed-from-brother wii though. It's a good game wink.gif

Edited by epsilon72, 30 December 2006 - 08:29 PM.

#13 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Dec 30 2006, 08:34 PM) View Post

Exactly... dry.gif
...but this is an xbox website, after all....

Then what is http://www.ps3scene.com/ ?

QUOTE(Chigawaa @ Dec 30 2006, 06:23 PM) View Post

That is true now because there is no reason to buy one now. After a year or two when the Final Fantasy's and other must have games come out then the consoles will be selling. Look I am a 360 fan boy all the way. But I also know that Sony's customer base is second to none. They may be smart and not waste buying a PS3 now, but the games will make them buy one eventually and that is what counts.

#14 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Dec 30 2006, 01:02 PM) View Post

Then what is http://www.ps3scene.com/ ?

sorry, let me clarify - this is an extension of an xbox site.

#15 ConteZero76

ConteZero76

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:05 AM

I always loved market analists talking about something they are too old, too market-bound or too far from their point of view to understand.

Sure! PS3 camp can be rubbish but that doesn't mean a thing.

PS3 is PS3, people all over the world (little, stupid boys with no internet or no www.ps3scene.com bookmark) will go and take a PS3, even if it's a complete load of shit.
Why ?
Because they owned a PSX and they loved it, they loved games and stuff; they even loved being ripped off for a memory card.
Because they owned a PS2 and they loved it because it was bulky and nowhere powerful as an XBox, but filled with games they loved.

Are you going for the "price" way ?
Cosider that PS-something- is made to have a longer life cycle than a XBox-something-, it means that you're paying more, but for something that will last.
Consider that if you're going to open your wallet and you can afford something more than a Wii then PS3 or XBox360 is only a matter of likes, because both are pricy and it isn't a 10 vs 100 difference.

Are you going for the "flaw" way ?
Of course PS3 will be plagued with problems, every console is, but it's simply normal.

Are you going for the "game" way ?
And games, a lot of them, will come to PS3 and be "as good as" XBox360 (or, at least, similar enough to make PS3 "valuable" and make the PS3->XBox360 switch "not really worthy").

This is the world, the perfect solution isn't the one that wins; it may be, but it's not sure.

Sorry boys, we'll see who will win in 2008-9, not before.
As for me, PS3 is the next XBox, it inerhit most of the base XBox concepts (the one that made the XBox worthy, and this also means Linux).

Oh, and while I can already change the PS3 IP (and stuff, with linux), xboxscene.com keeps on talking about new and shiny XBox360 enclosures, pad covers and so on... while back in the old days, when XBox come out, it was filled with people talking about how to tap the LPC bus, how the chipset works and reviews of homebrew applications.
Now you have almost no homebrew applications, but sure your chrome XBox360 looks KEWL.

And this is from a XBox/XBox360 owner.

Edited by ConteZero76, 31 December 2006 - 01:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users