#1 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:34 AM

I've ordered the last trust bluetooth usb adapter bt2210tp (the cheapest), 2 wiimotes and 1 nunchuk (total cost is around 100 bucks).
I already have a madcatz xbox1 controller (has a wider opening for memory card), and the memory card plug to usb adapter (needs the wider opening)

Against the wii tidal wave, something has to be done. There is no reason to get crappy video and sound (wii is just an accelerated gamecube) just because we want to stretch our body while playing...

I will do my best to write a wiimote driver for openxdk, but I won't give any ETA (pbKit is my priority).
But once it becomes possible, I will add wiimote support to every pbKit demo I will release (Pong first).

Consider each pbKit demo as a "starter kit" and show xn/a how fun it is to compile freely with one's favorite tool!

(I will try to see if a small windows program can be written to redirect bluetooth info toward xbox1 through ethernet which would allow bluetooth pc+xbox1 users to avoid the purchase of xbox1 usb adapter & bluetooth adapter -and possibly a new controller-)

Edited by openxdkman, 31 December 2006 - 09:43 AM.

#2 voltagefreak

voltagefreak

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Location:12 min. from school, 25 ft from xbox, 29 from computer, 0.000 from myself :-)
  • Interests:XBOX, HIGH VOLTAGE, ELECTRONICS, HOLOGRAPHY, LASERS, PAINTBALL, SPORTS
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:59 AM

(I will try to see if a small windows program can be written to redirect bluetooth info toward xbox1 through ethernet which would allow bluetooth pc+xbox1 users to avoid the purchase of xbox1 usb adapter & bluetooth adapter -and possibly a new controller-)

just a suggestion, but i would think you would be able to implement that into the Windows Wiimote drivers and software (I dont know what it is called, but it was released on hackaday), it was recently released a week or two ago happy.gif

cant wait to see the result, good luck

#3 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

I've written a windows program that converts Windows keys events into a 128 bits array (key pressed=1 or unpressed=0) and send this array as the extra data field of a ping request, ten times per second (10Hz), but doesn't expect any answer.

Here it is:

http://minilgos.pers....fr/inp2eth.zip

Now, all I have to do is to create a pong game that detects incoming pings (no need to answer them) and retrieve the 128 bits array for game control.

Wiimote motion can be easily converted into key events on windows with program glovepie.

...!?! (ping... pong... I've just realized... Fun coincidence...)

Edited by openxdkman, 28 March 2009 - 10:55 PM.

#4 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:49 AM

I've read in glovepie documentation that it can convert midi notes into windows key events...

I only have a piano midi keyboard. What is the range of guitar notes?
Anyone interested in doing a remake of guitar hero with openxdk and a real midi guitar?

Edited by openxdkman, 03 January 2007 - 09:50 AM.

#5 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:57 AM

I've just received the trust bluetooth 2.0 EDR usb adapter (codename BT-2210Tp)
(20 bucks, class 1, 100m range, connects to 7 bluetooth devices simultaneously)

That thing is smaller than my thumb!

I will report my success (or failure) with it.
My ordered wiimotes have been shipped, so I should receive them soon and start testing.
For the nunchuks, the shipment is planned in 1 month from now (short supplies).

Glovepie author is making fast progress in his wiimote support, but I don't exclude studying a way to avoid using a pc in the loop with the existing MC slot to usb adapter.

And to all young developpers... Start making some girl attractive funny homebrew games right now!
Think about it. Your neighbour will attract girls with his wii. But you can beat him! Let the girl have fun...
and then tell her "I've made it myself!" "Look, I can put your name in the game"... Endless possibilities...
(Symbolic graphics can be just fine I think. The "motion" thing will do the magic by itself...)

#6 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:32 PM

It's a dream. Yesterday pbKit finally worked and today I receive the wiimotes...

Wiimote looks definitely smaller in your hand than on photographs or videos...
And of course the strip thickness looks even more microscopic. That thing will break, I'm sure.

I guess I will set high sensitivity in Pong, so you don't have to make big moves...

wiimoted hardware accelerated Pong starter kit on its way! Yeah!

#7 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

I confirm that the incredibly cheap & small BT-2210Tp supplied with WIDCOMM software works very well with the wiimote. That makes the bluetooth usb "key"+1 wiimote at 60 bucks (around), delivered fast.
Nunchuk is additional 20 bucks delivered 1 month later...

Tutorial to have WIDCOMM recognize and connect with the wiimote :
http://wiibrew.org/i...iimote_Tutorial

GlovePIE's author web site :
http://carl.kenner.g...es.com/glovepie

GlovePIE is free and will work instantly, just load a wiimote script (plenty are supplied) and hit "Run".

For example, load CounterStrike.PIE, run it. Launch notepad, and use D-PAD to write letters.

I've seen a script for 4 wiimotes...

I will now use inp2eth to have some control over the "puck" in the pbKit test program (see changelog).

#8 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

I've updated inp2eth :

- added mouse.x and mouse.y data (so now, 16 bytes for 128 keys map + 2 bytes for mouse position)
- added inp2eth.PIE, a recommended script for GlovePie (will keep mouse in middle of inp2eth window)

My test shows that wiimote is not enough good or precise to detect "translations" (other than brutal punches)
but is quite good in detecting "rotations". So you better keep your arm straight and unfolded and let the wiimote do nice rotations instead of pointing the wiimote always at the same direction.

And when you plan to make a game, try to find a way to ask player to "rotate" wiimote or just "punch".

Against the noise that makes values eratic, some numeric filtering can fix that. But better do it on console side. So don't worry if coordinates sent by inp2eth are very eratic.

The only problem I found is the incredible speed of the battery discharge... 20% after a few hours...
The script will show you the battery level.

Edited by openxdkman, 05 January 2007 - 09:53 PM.

#9 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

Added a GlovePIE script for two simultaneous wiimotes
(rotation around X axis for both wiimotes converted into mouse.x & .y
rotation around Z axis for both wiimotes converted into up,down,left,right)

#10 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:25 PM

The battery discharge speed is really a problem, especially for a developper trying to write some driver for hours...

If you know what you are doing and supply a voltage in the 2.5v-3v range with a regulator circuit using LM317 for example (http://www.fairchild...ds/LM/LM317.pdf) the wiimote will work fine without battery (actually I keep them in there but I put a paper to cut circuit. the batteries are a good way to keep unsoldered external wires connected inside. trap can still be shut with the thin wires going out)

I've even tried the "Mini Solar Panel 3V 100mA" (it gave me 4V with a nice sun) as power source for the LM317 regulator (caution, don't connect it directly to the wiimote or you will destroy it!). It worked fine (with GlovePIE, showing 25% battery for 2.4V. But with wiinremote it stopped immediately).

Solar panel is so small that it can fit on a player's wrist... That might be a good idea... (much better than the PS3 grill anyway)

But I guess a zener diode is necessary to build up a voltage reference that doesn't depend on weather...

I should have some infrared diode somewhere, I will see if I can have wiimote infra red camera see it... This little thing is really fun to play with.

Edited by openxdkman, 06 January 2007 - 01:38 PM.

#11 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

I've discovered why wiinremote makes the wiimote shutdowns when it's powered with low voltage... It requests IR sensor data immediately.
With GlovePIE it works, until I ask for wiimote.dot1vis (IR sensor data).
So I guess the IR sensor data pumps too much current for the low voltage.

#12 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

Oh my... it's really fun...
Solar panel still good (3.2v) powering an InfraRed (colorless) LED I kept from an old broken remote, through a 68ohms 2W resistor...

The GlovePIE script wiimote.dot1vis variable turns from false to true when I pass the wiimote IR camera in front of the LED...
(wiinremote seems expecting too much and don't see a thing)

fun and cheap!

Edited by openxdkman, 06 January 2007 - 03:26 PM.

#13 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:08 PM

I've updated a last time inp2eth
http://minilgos.pers....fr/inp2eth.zip

You can now try it with the pbKit Demo 01-Hardware accelerated Pong

Edited by openxdkman, 28 March 2009 - 10:56 PM.

#14 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

http://minilgos.pers....fr/mse2eth.zip is an alternate solution, for the "light gun" feature.

I've just purchased two "Light Gun Adaptors" (you can see photographs if look for this name on ebay).

Quite comfortable and quite good aim if you keep gun at 3 meters from standard wii IR bar. However much stuff is to be done in menus through A button (top button) and the gun trigger is connected to B of course.

They come from hongkong without any documentation.

I laugh because obviously, package has been opened/examined/closed (there are some red seals on it...). Obviously hard plastic guns toys don't go thru customs without being noticed. Normal.

There is a little thing to know. There is some wires in the hilt to allow you to connect a nunchuk (or any other device) at the bottom of the hilt.

If you connect the wiimote first, then the nunchuk, link doesn't work.
If you connect the nunchuk, then the wiimote, then link works.
There is a little PCB inside. Dunno what's going on in this link. Whatever.
Hard to guess without documentation...

My final judgement is... Great product!
I smell some Time Crisis remake coming!
(And lots of fun with resident evil 4...)

Edited by openxdkman, 28 March 2009 - 10:56 PM.

#15 joesnose

joesnose

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

sorry to dig up an old thread, i've read this thread, and i dont understand, did anything come from this? i mean wiimote on xbox1? sorry if i missed the point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users