Photo

Do your PS2 games look too jaggy on the PS3? Here's a semi-fix...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PS3Scene

PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:14 AM

Do your PS2 games look too jaggy on the PS3? Here's a semi-fix...
Posted by XanTium | 1-1-2007 23:14 EST

From ps3fanboy.com:

A while back, we did a short investigation on the YouTube video claiming PS2 games look a lot worse on the PS3 -- in my particular case, it appears to be true.

All right, so currently my PS3 is connected to my TV via the HDMI and those cruddy composite cables -- the yellow, white, and red. Why both? Because my TV has channels dedicated to both. When I run a PS2 game on the HDMI channel, yeah, it looks bad. So what do I do? Go to my Display Settings and swap the PS3 back onto the 480i channel -- the channel most PS2 games were probably meant to be seen in. I think that's the problem -- PS2 games didn't plan on getting their resolutions increased so drastically. Anyway... so I swap it back to 480i and re-load the PS2 game and guess what? The text is gorgeous and the graphics look fine. I think. They don't look perfect, but it's a lot better than the HDMI shows.

[update: As I continue to screw around with different games, if you crack out any 2D-centric titles (Atelier Iris 2 in my case), the graphics actually look better with HDMI. The backgrounds have a few splotchy points, but the sprites are much, much sharper.]

Read More: ps3fanboy.com

#2 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:39 AM

they still look like crap in 480i. thx sony!

#3 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

"-- PS2 games didn't plan on getting their resolutions increased so drastically."

That is a bunch of bull. PS2 games do not get their resolution increased at all on the PS3. The only thing that is changed is 480i PS2 games are rendered at 480p on the PS3, via HDMI and component cables.

#4 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:19 AM

its the same way i cant play any ps1 games on my ps2 on my LCD tv, they look like absolute crap.

#5 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Jan 2 2007, 04:30 PM) View Post
"-- PS2 games didn't plan on getting their resolutions increased so drastically."

That is a bunch of bull. PS2 games do not get their resolution increased at all on the PS3. The only thing that is changed is 480i PS2 games are rendered at 480p on the PS3, via HDMI and component cables.

I agree - 480i to 480p is not an increase at all. I'm hoping Sony fixes this with their big update in march.

#6 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Jan 3 2007, 05:07 PM) View Post

I agree - 480i to 480p is not an increase at all. I'm hoping Sony fixes this with their big update in march.

You wont see a software fix for this because it's a hardware problem...

the PS3 has a PS2 inside of it to run PS2 games... no amount of software is going to make PS2 hardware run PS2 games in HD...

Hopefully they'll come up with some good emulation software down the road similar to the system MS is using...

To be perfectly honest, if they could run PS2 games in HD it'd help towards my consideration of buying a PS3. Just playing the few PS2 games I like in beautiful HD is something I could use the console for RIGHT NOW, since I currently don't have any interest in Blu-Ray or any of the currently avaiable games. Some of my favorite Dreamcast franchises made the jump to the PS2 (Space Channel 5, and Virtual On) so playing them in HD would be quite a treat...

Alas PS2 is still the best platform to play PS2 games.

I don't understand why they can't boost PS1 games to HD... heck there are several open source emulators that can do it with inferior hardware and if Sony still couldn't figure it out I'm sure the Bleem! people would love to unload their code... though that would also require Sony to swallow their pride since they were offered that once before and sued their ass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users