• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dneall7

dneall7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

blink.gif Hey guys, first off... thanks for all the advice that I have been given (and used) in the past couple days since I found this forum. Heres my situation....

I just bought a modded Xbox from a buddy of mine (Xecuter 2/ Evox, etc...). I also recently bought a 37" LCD HD ready flat panel. When I first connected them, I had the standard red/white/yellow A/V cables and the picture looked crappy. I bought component cables and it got wayyyyy better. I went to the MS Dash and set the screen settings to "on" for 480p, 720p, and 1080i (which are all capable with my TV). It seems like for most of the games, "480p" pops up on the TV as the game starts. After reading the forum and researching I saw that there is a Xbox High Definition AV pack available.

My question is... Although the picture improved alot with just adding the component cables, would I get even better results if I were to buy the HD AV pack? or would it not add anything to what the component cables already do?

Thanks alot in advance!!!

#2 blue73

blue73

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:My Family, MCFC, Pink Floyd( Yes I'm an old fart), Gaming, PC Modding, Console Modding...Beer
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:57 PM

Hey dneal,
Speaking purely from a Home Cinema point of view there really isn't that much difference between component, DVI and HDMI. The only obvious difference is that HDMI carries audio and the others don't. In some cases DVI and component, HDCP isn't active, though I don't know if that will matter if you're using a modded Xbox for viewing HD material. In any case You shouldn't really notice a visual difference. If Your panel is detecting an HD signal and thats what You were expecting to happen then all is good. Hope that helps.

PS. If I've got anything wrong then let us know. Cheers smile.gif

#3 VerbalVenom

VerbalVenom

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

You need the HD AV pack to get HD signal. They're tough to come by. You can try posting a WTB in the Xbox B/S/T Forum

#4 blue73

blue73

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:My Family, MCFC, Pink Floyd( Yes I'm an old fart), Gaming, PC Modding, Console Modding...Beer

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:25 AM

I guess I was wrong then, sorry dude. I was under the impression You already had an HD signal...

#5 VerbalVenom

VerbalVenom

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE(blue73 @ Jan 4 2007, 08:32 PM) View Post

I guess I was wrong then, sorry dude. I was under the impression You already had an HD signal...

Some inputs better than none smile.gif

#6 Jish

Jish

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE(blue73 @ Jan 4 2007, 03:04 PM) View Post

Hey dneal,
Speaking purely from a Home Cinema point of view there really isn't that much difference between component, DVI and HDMI. The only obvious difference is that HDMI carries audio and the others don't. In some cases DVI and component, HDCP isn't active, though I don't know if that will matter if you're using a modded Xbox for viewing HD material. In any case You shouldn't really notice a visual difference. If Your panel is detecting an HD signal and thats what You were expecting to happen then all is good. Hope that helps.

PS. If I've got anything wrong then let us know. Cheers smile.gif

Another obvious difference that HDMI has over component cables, is that it offers an uncompressed signal.

#7 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE(dneall7 @ Jan 4 2007, 03:22 PM) View Post

blink.gif Hey guys, first off... thanks for all the advice that I have been given (and used) in the past couple days since I found this forum. Heres my situation....

I just bought a modded Xbox from a buddy of mine (Xecuter 2/ Evox, etc...). I also recently bought a 37" LCD HD ready flat panel. When I first connected them, I had the standard red/white/yellow A/V cables and the picture looked crappy. I bought component cables and it got wayyyyy better. I went to the MS Dash and set the screen settings to "on" for 480p, 720p, and 1080i (which are all capable with my TV). It seems like for most of the games, "480p" pops up on the TV as the game starts. After reading the forum and researching I saw that there is a Xbox High Definition AV pack available.

My question is... Although the picture improved alot with just adding the component cables, would I get even better results if I were to buy the HD AV pack? or would it not add anything to what the component cables already do?

Thanks alot in advance!!!

Since you already have component cables, then you don't need to buy the HD pack, since it is just a set of component outputs/cables depending on the version you get.

#8 dneall7

dneall7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

Thanks guys, I'll probably just stick with the component cables and not worry about the pack. The picture is already unbelievable with just the cables... for example, Freedom Fighters in 720p = wow! Thanks again!

#9 blue73

blue73

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE(VerbalVenom @ Jan 4 2007, 11:43 PM) View Post

Some inputs better than none smile.gif

Nah Yer spot on. I hope Dneall doesn't go out and buy a load of cables they don't really need. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users