Photo

The second Xbox 360 revealed: codename Zephyr?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

The second Xbox 360 revealed: codename Zephyr?
Posted by XanTium | January 5 11:48 EST

From engadget.com:

Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out? Well, here's your answer: we landed pictures of what appears to be the second Xbox 360 -- the Xbox 360 v2, if you will -- codenamed Zephyr. (The original Xbox 360, if you recall, was codenamed Xenon.) The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered. The 120GB drive may or may not come bundled with the kit, we don't yet know, just as we also don't yet know how much a Zephyr 360 is going to run (we imagine it'll go for the same price as currently so they can keep up a little on their expanding margin). But our very kind Xbox insider seemed happy to let us know we'd be able to get them "soon."

Xbox-Scene

News-Source: engadget.com

#2 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

I already did read the news on Engadget and am glad that I waited with purchasing one of the still-not-homebrew-running machines.

Trust me, this topic will be filled with unhappy replies. tongue.gif

#3 PhatheadWRX

PhatheadWRX

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

I just want the 65nm chip. HDMI would be nice down the road, but my HDTV is only 720p sad.gif

#4 quall

quall

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

Wow, you can see inside all the ports of that picture, but the extra ones are jet black and look fake, considering "black" everywhere else in that image is tainted by the crappy picture and looks warn.

I don't believe it is true at all.

Edited by quall, 05 January 2007 - 05:11 PM.

#5 pcrat

pcrat

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Gamming, my kids, Photoshoping
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

too bad ya cant trade in your 360 for this upgraded one,,,

but hell then again, im not rich enough to buy a tv that can hold 1080p lol
atleast not yet anyways...

Nice

#6 jp110099

jp110099

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(quall @ Jan 5 2007, 11:13 AM) View Post

Wow, you can see inside all the ports of that picture, but the extra ones are jet black and look fake.

I think you are looking at the serial # and mfg date, etc that are blacked out. Anyways, this is good news, I just hope that I will be able to swap my toshiba-samsung drive out of my 360 with the 3 red lights int this new one when it is available that is if they are still using the same dvd drives.

Edit: I hope it has built in HD-DVD too

Edited by jp110099, 05 January 2007 - 05:10 PM.

#7 tutu

tutu

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

I'm sure I read something saying that these had been delayed for several months. It's inevitable that this was going to happen - but they should have done HDMI from the start.

#8 JayDee

JayDee

X-S Legend

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

I call the box real. (Got my reasons jester.gif )

Lets see if it will go retail or if it is a beta/dev/concept x360,

#9 VerbatimDL24X

VerbatimDL24X

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:13 PM

why does everyone want HDMI so much. It's the same as componet except for a brand. Granted some tv/xbox combination wont work with only component cables but still. and besides games will never be made in 1080p this gen so who cares for hdmi on 360 or ps3

#10 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

if microsoft were smart they should dump the core entirely (if not $250-$200 for new price), release this for $400 and drop the current premium to $300.

i just really hope they dont make the mistake of releasing this as a "super" 360 or something and price it in the ps3's price range.

i also hope they drop the 20GB HDD and just have this for $99. i refuse to pay more for a HDD when more capacity hardly effects cost.

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Jan 5 2007, 11:12 AM) View Post

Trust me, this topic will be filled with unhappy replies. tongue.gif

it all depends on how it's handled. every early adopter should know the drawbacks of jumping on the bandwagon early in the game.

what the early adopters have and will always have though, is the experiences earlier then the rest. we pay the high prices, wait in lines, and take the risk so we can say "we were there from the beginning, experienced those games from the start, and supporting our passions before the fense-sitters did". <- this may be my opinion alone, but i still have no regrets waiting out in the cold for over 15 hours for my 360 on pre-launch night because i was able to get some of the best gaming experiences of my life without waiting.

this honestly wouldnt be any different then microsoft lowering the prices of both packages when the 65nm chips came out. some early adopters would bitch anyways, but we all know that price cuts are coming. unless HDMI is that huge of a deal, just go and buy the 120GB HDD when its released, we all also knew that a larger HDD was coming as well.

honestly none of this should be of any surprise IMHO.

#11 Shinamano

Shinamano

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

So long as it is quieter I will be on board...I do want teh details though as i was about to go pick up a HD DVD drive...but I can wait smile.gif

#12 MonkeyBrain

MonkeyBrain

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Ooohhh.. i aint got a 360 yet, so ill def. get this one... dont own a hdtv yet, but hopefully sometime this year biggrin.gif

#13 sandmanza

sandmanza

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

If this is real I dont know how microsoft is going to handle this, because you should be able to make your console that isnt a update like the one seen there have the same features, so if MS doesnt release a hdmi adapter then they going to be sitting with two consoles with separate features.

That will make a LOT of people mad

#14 tutu

tutu

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

They will say these are fake no matter what - they do not want to put people off buying existing stock. HDMI is useful as most TVs do not accept 1080p over Component or VGA.

I do wonder if they have done anything to stop the DVD firmware hack.

But this is all conjecture as it probably is fake.

#15 sp1200

sp1200

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:21 PM

Why didn't someone on the Xbox team have the foresight to realize that hey, a 20 gig hard drive and no hdmi isn't a good thing if we are delivering HD content on Live? I think it's ridiculous what MS has done with all these revisions and add ons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users