Photo

Anyway To Play An X264 ".mkv" File On The 360?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 geoman2k

geoman2k

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:24 PM

so i have an HD movie on my computer, in ".mkv" format. it says it is "x264", whatever that means.
anyways. i have my xbox hooked up to stream files from my computer with Windows media player 11. i've noticed that i can play all of my mp3s on the xbox this way, as well as a lot of videos i have in ".wmv" format.
anyways. i would really like to play this MKV movie through my 360 (on my hdtv), since my modded xbox isn't powerful enough to play HD video obviously. is it possible to do this? would i be able to stream the movie, or would i have to transfer it onto my 360 hard drive to play it? i'm assuming i would have to convert the mkv file into a wmv file, but so far i haven't been able to find any program that will do this.

so basically i'm just asking if it is possible. if it is, and someone wants to explain how, i'd appretiate it. otherwise just knowing if it is possible or not would be a great starting point.

thanks a ton!!!

#2 ashlar42

ashlar42

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(geoman2k @ Jan 8 2007, 10:31 PM) View Post

so i have an HD movie on my computer, in ".mkv" format. it says it is "x264", whatever that means.
anyways. i have my xbox hooked up to stream files from my computer with Windows media player 11. i've noticed that i can play all of my mp3s on the xbox this way, as well as a lot of videos i have in ".wmv" format.
anyways. i would really like to play this MKV movie through my 360 (on my hdtv), since my modded xbox isn't powerful enough to play HD video obviously. is it possible to do this? would i be able to stream the movie, or would i have to transfer it onto my 360 hard drive to play it? i'm assuming i would have to convert the mkv file into a wmv file, but so far i haven't been able to find any program that will do this.

so basically i'm just asking if it is possible. if it is, and someone wants to explain how, i'd appretiate it. otherwise just knowing if it is possible or not would be a great starting point.

thanks a ton!!!
It is possible... only it's far from being very easy. Maybe somebody knowledgeable enough will point you to a good guide. But rest assured it is possible. I have done it but it's kind of complicated to explain and I am in a hurry now. smile.gif

#3 Pinko

Pinko

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:59 AM

The 360 doesn't want to see an mkv file, among others. So you must add registry values. Add these to a .reg file:
CODE
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ogg]
"PerceivedType"="audio"
"Content Type"="audio/x-ogg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ogm]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/x-ogg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.m2v]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/mpeg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mka]
"PerceivedType"="audio"
"Content Type"="audio/x-matroska"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/x-matroska"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/mp4"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.ogg]
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.ogm]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.m2v]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mka]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mkv]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mp4]

And get transcode360

#4 rmeyers

rmeyers

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

if you want to convert, use Encode360
if you want to transcode use transcode 360

make sure you have the k-lite codec pack FULL edition

#5 vuhuyle

vuhuyle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(rmeyers @ Jan 18 2007, 09:55 PM) View Post

if you want to convert, use Encode360
if you want to transcode use transcode 360

make sure you have the k-lite codec pack FULL edition

I'm trying to run Encode360 on an x264 .mkv file and running into an "audio codec missing" error. I'm assuming I just need to install the k-lite codec pack, but I'm always weary of installing too many codecs when things are running fairly well.

I'm running :
HDTVpump
ffdshow-rev770
MtraoskaSplitter (Halil splitter (sp?))

Should I uninstall these codecs first and then install the k-lite codec pack?

Will installing this codec pack destroy my current setup?

#6 Poopchute

Poopchute

PIRATE KIDDIE

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:39 AM

.mkv files suck. Whoever developed them should be made to watch video of Lindsay Lohan "Acting". .mkv files are completley useless. Kinda like Lindsay and Paris and Britany.

#7 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:17 AM

QUOTE(Poopchute @ Jan 25 2007, 11:15 PM) View Post

.mkv files suck. Whoever developed them should be made to watch video of Lindsay Lohan "Acting". .mkv files are completley useless. Kinda like Lindsay and Paris and Britany.

they cant be that bad since that format is pretty much the standard for high def (blu-ray etc) like xvid is for dvd wink.gif

#8 thezet

thezet

X-S Enthusiast

• Validating
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(Poopchute @ Jan 25 2007, 10:15 PM) View Post

mkv is just a container not a video format smile.gif kind of like a zip file that combines video, audio and subtitles in a single file...

#9 elliotreid

elliotreid

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:47 PM

lol, nothing funnier than newbie pirates.

Edited by elliotreid, 21 May 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#10 mdntblu

mdntblu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:06 AM

Not sure if you guys have figured it out but I'm sure there are others that need to know how to do it.

The best way is to use a software called GOTsent and their website is http://sentry23.googlepages.com/

This converts the container to .MP4 but then you just rename the file to .AVI, copy it to your windows media player library or put it on any media server (Twonky, etc) and it plays without any quality loss.

And another thing - this software is super fast - 1GB file in under 20min. Like 15 min and it's ready.

#11 DJLink

DJLink

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

wow. mdntblu, that is by far the fastest, easiest and best method to convert mkv files to play on an x360 without quality loss. I have been looking for a good solution forever and I cant believe GOTsent and their website is http://sentry23.googlepages.com/ didn't make news on x-s scene becuase its so much better than any other method. wow. I cannot thank you enough

#12 mdntblu

mdntblu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:21 AM

Glad I could be of service. I love forums and always find out ways to do things and never had been able to help other people. I finally was able to help others. smile.gif

I just posted this on the xbox.com forums too

http://forums.xbox.c...t.aspx#26490466

#13 wulfie

wulfie

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

I use tmpgenc xpress to convert my mkv to hdwmv and then throw 'em on my portable usb hdd and play that way biggrin.gif

#14 medjit

medjit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

You'd better visit http://www.convertfiles.com/
The site takes care of everything.... you just have to upload the file
and select your desire output format

#15 lefos

lefos

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:03 AM

Just my 2 cents on this old topic:
.mkv is AMAZING for a format when ripping bluray. It also has the ability for a 0 compression rip for those with lesser powered media pc's, aka, codecs do almost no work when playing the video. As for gotsent, I run windows xp pro x64, and gotsent has given me nothing but trouble. I tried three different bluray quality .mkv files, and all of the results came out corrupt to where I just couldnt even open the file on the 360. Also you have to split it into like 4 files! thanks 360!

I am trying encode 360 now, will see if it has some better results, but I have a feeling it wont. It's time to go back online and get a real transcoder to do this(or similar to gotsent, with more quality to it)

Many people have no problems with gotsent, I ENVY YOU! and no HD movie takes 20 minutes to convert, it took almost an hour on that 9GB movie, note the person above said 15min/1GB wink.gif

Good luck all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users