The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:29 PM

Just thought id share, just picked myself up this nice little package..

Mint Dreamcast console Boxed (VGC, all manuals, paperwork, bags, dreamkey etc) with controller and VMU + copy of sonic adventure

Mint copy of skies of arcadia

New and Sealed Controller x2

New and sealed VMU x2

New and sealed Rumble pack x2

New and sealed composite cables

all for just under 120, not bad i thought for all the new and selaed stuff.

I plan on picking up some more games, keyboard blah de blah when i get paid at the end of the month, because i just put all of that on my overdraft laugh.gif

So guys what games come recommended? i LOVE RPG's (hence skies of arcadia) and i plan on picking up shenmue when i get paid and if i can find mint copies, what other games should i look out for? im open to anything.

Any accessories or anything i should pick up?

Cant wait to get this bad boy through.

#2 nimicitor

nimicitor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:17 AM

good buy you got there.

its worth going into gamestation as they have dreamcast games from 50p.
even if the game is shit you can use the case as a replacement for any broken ones you have.

you have noticed how loud it is?
do you plan on modding it etc?

have fun

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

RPGs to get on the Dreamcast:

Elemental Gimmick Gear (E.G.G.)
Evolution: The World of Sacred Device
Evolution 2: Far Off Promise
Gauntlet Legends
Grandia 2
Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Online Version 2
Record of Lodoss War
Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue
Shenmue II (should be available in Europe but it was never released in the US)

Shenmue II on the Dreamcast might be a bit difficult to find because it was so limited in production, but it's also availble on the Xbox which makes it a bit easier

most of the RPGs on the Dreamcast are done old school sprite based style, EGG and Evolution are, I think Grandia and Skies are half and half

Gauntlet Legonds is more of an Action RPG, though I don't remember whether it was 2D or 3D.

and the Phantasy Star and Shenmue games are full on 3D.

Some unique titles that you probably wont find anywhere else that don't really fit in a proper genre:
-Cannon Spike - Street fighter/Capcom characters meets geometry wars/smashTV gameplay in 3D... AWESOME
-Chu Chu Rocket - an awesome puzzle game I'd easily pay 1600 points for a XBLA version
-Ooga Booga - a 3D brawling game... so much fun, unlike anything else I've ever played
-REZ - a 3D shooter, that is as much a work of art as it is a game you MUST get this title
-Samba de Amigo - think DDR or Guitar Hero, but with maracas, it's even fun without them
-Seaman - Like a tamagachi, very very unique game, make sure it comes with the microphone attachment though, you can't play without it.
-Space Channel 5 - a simon says type music game, (think Parappa the Rappa but more dance based then lyric based)
-Space Channel 5 part 2 - only released in japan but IMO the better of the two and one of my personal favorite games of all time, it even features cameos by Michael Jackson and Boy George (real motion capture and voices by both of them)
-The Typing of the Dead - It's house of the Dead 2 but you need to type words and phrases to kill the enemies, you'll need the keyboard (get the original, the adapters are too laggy) really really fun.

Any other genres you want suggestions on? I have much experience with the Dreamcast catalog. I've been collecting Dreamcast games for quite some time and own nearly every title released for the system.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 12 January 2007 - 03:45 PM.

#4 nimicitor

nimicitor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

just thought id add that chu chu rocket (as twistedsymphony suggested) is one of the 50p games that gamestation always have in stock.

#5 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

damn... now I have a hankering to play some of these again... and the Chu Chu Rocket commercial song stuck in my head.

#6 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:56 PM

yeah thanks alot twisted now im gonna be skint as soon as i get paid buying dreamcast games. laugh.gif

i looked up a few of those titles, that REZ in perticular, there were 2 copys on ebay, one was a buy it now at 70, god damn.

I can get my hands on a copy of shenmue II pretty easily here.

im not so keen on 2D sprite based RPG's unless they are REALLY good, i'm a bit of a graphics whore sometimes. ill chekc them out though.

ill take note of everything youve suggested there and look into it, i can see straight away there are a few im not interested in.

Im also a big fan of racing games/survival horror/adventure. apart from a couple titles like MSR and sega rally ive not seen much in the way of racing, well TBH ive not looked much at games yet, i was trying hard enough to get a good console.

on the survival horror side of things i think there only really RES:CV?

#7 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:36 AM

Racing games:
4x4 Evolution - A pretty decent Truck/SUV off road racer. the sequel "Evo 2" is available for the Xbox as well if you've ever played that
18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker - This game is friggin awesome, you race and 18 wheeler, it's a direct port of the equally awesome arcade game. Basically real taxi driving is to crazy taxi as real truck driving is to this game.
Demolition Racer: No Exit - AFAIK it's a demo derby game, I haven't played much of it so I can't comment
F1 World Grand Prix - An F1 racing sumulation it's a last gen port so it's only so-so graphically
F355 Challenge - hands down the best racing simulation game ever made... EVER, a direct port of the arcade version, most people consider this game TOO realistic (meaning to the point where it's no loger fun). It's essentially the MS flight sim of driving games.
Flag to Flag - yet another very nicely done F1 racing sim.
Hydro Thunder - Jet boat racing, EXACTLY like the arcade version, if you've never played it, think of san fran rush but with jet boats. it's pretty fun if you've got friends to play it with.
Looney Tunes - Space Race - kind of like Mario Kart but with Looney Tunes characters, it's not as fun as it sounds but it can be entertaining if you've got a group to play with.
Metropolis Street Racer - This games is almost identical to the first PGR, though I personally like MSR better, it was harder and it just had a few cool quirks that made it unique
Monaco Grand Prix - yup, another F1 racing simulation
Re-Volt - RC car racing... it's a really fun little title.
Roadsters - don't bother, it's an N64 port...
San Francisco Rush 2049 - IMO one of the best racing games ever made, the 4 player battle mode alone is worth buying this game. It also earns the #2 spot for the Dreamcast game I've played the most of, right behind DOA2.
Sega GT - essentially the same games as the Xbox version.
Sega Rally Championship 2 - one of the best damn rally games on the planet, nuff said
Test Drive 6 - if you like the test drive series...
Test Drive Le Mans - racing sim of the le mans 24 hour race... with a REAL 24 hour mode... yes you can race for 24 hours in real time if you want... or if you're just crazy.
Test Drive V Rally - a rally game, I was too busy with Sega Rally to pay attension but I believe this one is more of a simulator.
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1/2 - TXR1 is a port from the PSX but TXR2 was built for the DC and the graphical difference shows... this is the predecessor to "Import Tuner Challenge" on the Xbox 360 but TXR2 is a FAR FAR FAR better game. I played through this one completely and loved every moment of it. It's easily the best street racing game for any of the last gen consoles.
Vanishing Point - Titled as such because it's engine can graphically render everything right to the vanishing point (in other words no pop-in EVER) Graphically it was beautiful for it's time, it's a pretty solid racer with semi-realistic physics, real cars and fake courses. IMO the best part is an extra feature that has you performing stunts like going off jumps, doing barrel rolls, 180s etc. unlike other games where you do that this one is using realistic physics so it's much more interesting/challenging.

Survival Horror:
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare - AFAIK the last version of this game made, it's got some good graphics and spans 2 discs I believe
Blue Stinger - I don't know anything about this one except that it's an adventure horror title laugh.gif
Carrier - zombies on a ship at sea, I haven't played much of this but people either love it or hate it, not much middle ground
D2 - More adventure then horror but it's the sequel to "D" that was released on the PSX and Saturn. It's a great title IMO, it spans 4 discs so make sure you've got all of them.
Dino Crisis - adventure horror with dinosaurs, I've never played it but they made 3 sequels including a special limited Edition Xbox for the 3rd release so it must have something redeeming.
Illbleed - you're caught in a weird circus/dreamworld the graphics are pretty good from what I remember but I haven't played much of this one, again they've made a few sequels so it must have been good laugh.gif
Resident Evil 2 - much better graphics then the PSX version, probably comparable to the GC release
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - same as RE2
Resident Evil Code: Veronica - this game was made for the Dreamcast, it looks better on the DC then on the PS2... about the same as the GC version, definitly pick this up
The Ring - Yes.... the same one as the movie, but this is an americanized version of a game made based on the original Japanese film... so while it's technically the same... it's completely different. I haven't played it so I can't comment further.

Action/Adventure
Armada - kind of an adventure/RPG supports up to 4 players
Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm - a really nicely done adventure game, it's hard to describe so you'd be better looking it up.
Headhunter - kind of a spy action title like Splintercell/MGS it has a sequel on Xbox and PS2 but this version is WAY WAY WAY better, probably one of my favorite Dreamcast games.
Stupid Invaders - you play a group of idiotic aliens trying to repair your crashed space craft, its reminiscent of the old sierra/lucas art adventure titles but with more modern day graphics... 2 discs so make sure you've got both of them if you buy it.
KISS: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child - it's kind of a 3rd person shooter/action title.... staring the band KISS, it's pretty fun though.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - BUY THIS GAME, it's easily the best game in the Legacy of Kain series and one of those titles that truly stands the test of time as something you can keep coming back to years down the road.
Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights - the predecessor to Sands of Time, not as good as SoT but still a very solid title if you're a fan of the series.
Silver - another Action/RPG type game... takes place in medieval times, I don't know much else about it.
Sonic Adventure 1/2 - Awesome games if you ask me, some people didn't like them but IMO they're the best 3D Sonic games made. I've played through both of them twice, which is something I rarely ever do.
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand - Almost exactly the same game as KISS Psycho Circus.. basically just the same game with a different skin and spawn characters instead of kiss characters... the Spawn version is a little better IMO.
Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage - another action/adventure title set in medieval times, this one has a giant living sword that lets you destroy massive amounts of stuff... I don't know much past that laugh.gif

I'm sure there are a lot of titles I may have missed... but this should give you an idea as to what's out there... if you come across some other titles you're not sure about let me know... I've played about 90% of the US and EU Dreamcast catalog.

and just for fun:

DC vs PS2:
Chu Chu rocket Commercial:

Edited by twistedsymphony, 15 January 2007 - 03:19 AM.

#8 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

Thanks very much twisted, ill print that list off anf take it into town later, see what i can find.

I got a question though, so far ive only played a tiny bit of skies of arcadia, but a couple times, during cutscenes and such, the screen would darken, and sort of flicker for a moment then return to normal, it did this a good few times.
My buddy is playing sonic adventure right now and it's done it once or twice

Im using an aftermarket composite av cable.

Do ya think theres a problem with my dreamcast or the cable, im trying out the standard RF cable again.

EDIT: doesnt do it with the standard RF cable, damnit, just gonna have to put up with grainy RF signals laugh.gif

Ill snap a few pics later of my goods when i (hopefully) retreive my controllers and VMU's from the post office later

Edited by grim_d, 15 January 2007 - 01:27 PM.

#9 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:37 PM

Buy yourself one of the VGA boxes... you can get them for about $10-$20 here in the states (not sure what they go for near you)... they usually have a single breakout box with a VGA connector as well as composite and S-Video so you can go with whatever you like... VGA runs in 640x480 so essentially 480p and it works with 90% of the DC's library.

Also IIRC there's an RGB/SCART cable available as well (though I've heard they're fairly rare)

Unfortunately Sega never made component video outputs for any of their consoles so you'd have to convert VGA or RGB if you wanted component output.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 15 January 2007 - 02:39 PM.

#10 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 15 2007, 01:44 PM) View Post

Buy yourself one of the VGA boxes... you can get them for about $10-$20 here in the states (not sure what they go for near you)... they usually have a single breakout box with a VGA connector as well as composite and S-Video so you can go with whatever you like... VGA runs in 640x480 so essentially 480p and it works with 90% of the DC's library.

Also IIRC there's an RGB/SCART cable available as well (though I've heard they're fairly rare)

Unfortunately Sega never made component video outputs for any of their consoles so you'd have to convert VGA or RGB if you wanted component output.

i can get an RGB scart cable here easy peasy, can get them for a couple quid, but i don't have a spare scart socket on my tv and i use composite on my switcher so i'm not sure. I'll look into the VGA box route.

Ive just been to town, i picked up

Dead or Alive 2
Resident Evil : CVX
Wetrix+
Timestalkers
Evolution : The world of the sacred device
F355 challenge
ChuChu Rocket
Space Channel 5

Best of all, ALL dreamcast games were Buy one get one free, so i got all those for 20, bargain.

Snapshot!

IPB Image

Edited by grim_d, 15 January 2007 - 04:36 PM.

#11 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

I realize you are in the market for some good DC games, but you gotta check out some homebrew too. There are 3 (homebrew) games I really reccomend to everyone.
1. Dr. Xlax, it's a multiplayer only game, up to 4 players, It's a asteriods/geometry wars death match game. Controls are a bit strange at first but after a game or 2 you will get it.
2. Amanda the Witch. Fly through all the blocks to see how far you can go, Ultra addictive.
3. Cool Herders: Caddle prod your friends and some sheep, multiplayer game also.

I can most certainly say that Twisted has compiled one of the best mini list of games on the DC to date right here!

Rez is indeed a must have.
Sega rally 2, simply fantastic.
Vanishing Point, also great.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, most certainly a top game.

Some other worthy mention games for me are:

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, IMO the best Tony hawk game ever (Although I'm not really into the whole genre),
Power Stone 2: One of the best multiplayer Fighters on DC
Rayman 2: Beautiful game, and it's fun.
Quake III Arena: Nuff Said
Wacky Races Interesting little racer, I think it's fun. cell shading adds to the games beauty.
Bust-A-Move 4 Same as the rest but just as fun as all of them!
Gunbird 2: Crazy fast and fun shooting action
Mars Matrix I've never come across this game, nor played it but this game is supposed to make the difficulty of Radient Silvergun look like side scroller kindergarden.
Crazy Taxi 1 & 2: Must haves!
Jet Grind/Set Radio: Possibly the most important must have.
Daytona Usa: I wont go as far to say that it's above and beyond where the Saturn ver. left off but a damn fun play none the less.
Wetrix: Puzzle gaming to the max!
Seventh Cross: Evolution: Abstract game, RPG, You start out as a single cell organism and you "evolve" from there. Personally, I hate RPGs for the most part but I found this game entertaining, it's time consuming and in some parts it can get boring. Unfortunately I was never able to complete the game, it was stolen and I haven't found it locally since. sad.gif
Grand Theft Auto 2: I really liked this version more than the Pc version, I thought the lighting and gameplay seemed a little better, but then again most everything is better on a Sega.

pop.gif

#12 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

Some good suggestions there... I can whole heartedly 2nd Jet Grind Radio, I'm a bit ashamed I left it off my list ph34r.gif

Crazy Taxi is another must own... just because. Also Soul Calibur, I think you're required to own that title if you own a Dreamcast, the system gets lonely and commits seppuku if you don't have that game. laugh.gif

Other titles like THPS2 and DOA2 are great, but IMO they've been bettered by more recent Xbox releases, and you'd be better off picking up those titles if you're serious about playing them... for instance THPS2X, and DOA Ultimate 2. As both of those titles have far better graphics and more features on the Xbox release, the Dreamcast version really doesn't have anything unique to offer by comparison...

Also if you're looking for shooters Outtriger is IMO the best FPS on the DC, Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament are also fantastic... all of them support local split screen multiplayer, as well as support keyboard and mouse (actually there are a surprising number of games that support the mouse, REZ is one of them and is much more fun with it). I've even seen an official Beta disc for Half life... as they made the game complete but never released it... obviously that title is super rare and would probably cost you way more then it's worth.

If you're into 2D shooters there are a TON of them on the DC... some of the best ones released on any platform as well... Mars Matrix, Ikaruga, Bangai-O, etc. The DC also has one of the best and most diverse collections of 2D fighting games on any console from Capcom, SNK, midway, etc. Quite a few 3D fighters also.

oh an another adventure game you might want to check out is Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles ... I've never played it but I've heard it's fantastic... it was a late European only release (there seems to be quite a few of those actually, head hunter, and Rez also fall into that category).

#13 deakphreak

deakphreak

Ting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

I got me the special black "sports" edition when the DC came out. I would definately suggest grandia 2 which was a great RPG game!! But the main reason I still have my dreamcast is because of the game Soul Reaver. Ive got the other games that came after but have not played any of those because im still trying to free up time to beat the original on the dreamcast.

#14 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 15 2007, 04:06 PM) View Post

Also if you're looking for shooters Outtriger is IMO the best FPS on the DC, Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament are also fantastic... all of them support local split screen multiplayer, as well as support keyboard and mouse (actually there are a surprising number of games that support the mouse, REZ is one of them and is much more fun with it). I've even seen an official Beta disc for Half life... as they made the game complete but never released it... obviously that title is super rare and would probably cost you way more then it's worth.

damn i saw outtrigger today, i should have picked that up instead of f355, i can't say im into it at all laugh.gif

man im gonna be so poor this month because of retro gaming...i love it.

#15 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Jan 15 2007, 11:14 AM) View Post

damn i saw outtrigger today, i should have picked that up instead of f355, i can't say im into it at all laugh.gif

man im gonna be so poor this month because of retro gaming...i love it.

I warned you it might be too realistic laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users