appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:31 AM

This tutorial is for those who like to do things in the terminal. If you're not one of those people, go check out iDog's iBurn 360, an all in one GUI application that does everything you need. You can get it here: http://idog.appleguru.org/ There's even a manual wink.gif

If you happen to be someone who likes the terminal, or you just want to learn more... read on.

First and foremost, thanks to cyberdork33, milocoon, 2gunsup, and Pandor over at xboxhacker.net for supplying the information to make this possible.

Requirements:

A Mac running Mac OS X

A dual layer DVD burner

Software:

growisofs: growisofs

Instructions:

1) Download the growisofs installer and run it.

2) Open up the terminal application; you can find in in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder.

3) Type ls /dev/rdisk? in the terminal window and hit return.

It should output something like "/dev/rdisk0".

4) Put a CD/DVD (NOT BLANK!) in your dual layer dvd drive. Wait for it to mount.

5) Once the disk mounts, type type ls /dev/rdisk? in the terminal window again and hit return. You should see an additional entry this time. This additional entry is the address to your dvd burner.

6) Type "file " without quotes (notice the trailing space). Drag your Xbox 360 disc image (.iso, .000 depending on how you made it) to the terminal and hit return. If it says your file is "data" then go to step 7. Otherwise if it says you have an ISO (Ex, ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'XBOX360'), skip to step 8.

7) Do this step ONLY If you see type "data" in step 6. Type "java -jar /usr/bin/imgbpatch.jar " without quotes in the terminal (again, notice the trailing space). Drag your Xbox 360 disc image to the terminal again and hit return. Once it says "Finished!" go to the next step.

8) Now put a blank dvd+r dl disc in the drive. Click ignore when the finder asks you what you want to do with the disc (If it doesn't ask you, go to system preferences --> CDs & DVDs and set it to ask you).

9) Copy and paste the following: growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dao -use-the-force-luke=break:1913760 -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/rdiskX=

Where X is the removable media device number we got in step 5.

10) Drag your Xbox 360 disc image to the terminal again.

11) Hit return and wait for it to finish (Should take ~ 47 minutes @ 2X... You'll see a bunch of text on the screen; you know it's done when you get kicked back to the command prompt, after seeing "/dev/rdiskX: closing disc")

Notes: If you have a faster drive (say an external one) that supports writing DVD+R DL @ speeds faster than 2.4x, feel free to change the speed to 8X or whatever your drive supports.

Edited by appleguru, 22 March 2007 - 04:18 AM.

#2 appleguru

appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:06 AM

Updated with v 1.2 of the installer (which is now a universal binary and has PPC support now). Now PPC AND Intel macs are supported smile.gif

#3 cack33

cack33

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

Finally 360 backups on a mac! I am currently trying to accomplish backing up games on my mac through this tutorial. The only question I have is how do I combine all the files in order to create the .iso or .000 disc image on the mac?

#4 appleguru

appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:21 AM

Currently the only way to backup your original game discs is via Windows with a samsung 360 drive or a drive with kreon's fw. Once you make the image you can use these tools to burn on the mac if you want. An 'all in one' solution for the mac like xbox backup creator on the pc would be nice, but as of now I just don't have the time and information to do it.. I'm sure someone smarter than me will come up with such a solution soon though smile.gif

Edited by appleguru, 24 January 2007 - 12:23 AM.

#5 crashtron

crashtron

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:22 PM

Nice that you did this biggrin.gif

Could you tell me if I need to use an Pioneer burner or could I use my built-in Superdrive MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846?

Thx
crashtron

#6 fulleffect2005

fulleffect2005

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:08 AM

I tried the tutorial and have a problem. After I downloaded growisofs and ran terminal, everytime i type Is/dev/rdisk? it keeps saying "no such file or directory found" even with a game in the dvd-rom. Is it because i am using a regular superdrive? I thought a superdrive on macs supported dual layer. Maybe i am just completely wrong. If someone could help let me know

#7 cyberdork33

cyberdork33

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Linux, Space
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE(fulleffect2005 @ Feb 19 2007, 06:15 PM) View Post

I tried the tutorial and have a problem. After I downloaded growisofs and ran terminal, everytime i type Is/dev/rdisk? it keeps saying "no such file or directory found" even with a game in the dvd-rom. Is it because i am using a regular superdrive? I thought a superdrive on macs supported dual layer. Maybe i am just completely wrong. If someone could help let me know

You should be typing:
CODE
ls /dev/rdisk?

That is an "L" as the first letter, and a SPACE after the S. copy and paste it if you need to. There is a utility called iBurn360 being worked on that you should try out. Checkout this thread:
http://forums.xbox-s...o...559408&st=0

appleguru, maybe you (or someone else) could add a note about iBurn360 to the first post?

Edited by cyberdork33, 20 February 2007 - 05:05 AM.

#8 JKirk

JKirk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:44 AM

Thanks for posting this guide, AppleGuru, it's always good to see someone out there (whatever subject it may be) that does things for the Mac users out there. I'm usually the guy who does it for something I've learned. tongue.gif I will be doing this sometime this week so expect something to go wrong. laugh.gif

#9 appleguru

appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE(cyberdork33 @ Feb 20 2007, 12:09 AM) View Post

Appleguru, maybe you (or someone else) could add a note about iBurn360 to the first post?

Good Call.. Done wink.gif

#10 credible

credible

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:22 AM

has anyone tried using iburn 360 or through termial using a power-pc (non-intel) mac and also a matshita burner (apple superdrive).
i have made at least 12 coasters.
all the files check out but i cant get the burn to work (burns from friends do work though).

could it b bitsetting/not able to do a forced layerbreak?

getting desperate for help.

#11 nevrozel

nevrozel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

I followed the instructions closely and all the games worked with the exception of one. During step 7 (after copying and hitting return) I get this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: jsr/imgbpatch/main (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:539)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:55)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:194)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:274)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)

I don't know Terminal so I have no idea what it means? Does somebody know?
Thanks.

#12 aRZie

aRZie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:42 AM

so will this work with a single layer DVD disc? cuz i can hotswap...

#13 King818

King818

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(appleguru @ Jan 23 2007, 03:57 PM) View Post

Currently the only way to backup your original game discs is via Windows with a samsung 360 drive or a drive with kreon's fw. Once you make the image you can use these tools to burn on the mac if you want. An 'all in one' solution for the mac like xbox backup creator on the pc would be nice, but as of now I just don't have the time and information to do it.. I'm sure someone smarter than me will come up with such a solution soon though smile.gif

How exactly do I do that part? Any guide on that part alone?
I need a guide on how to convert the game that I insert into my DVD drive to an image file so that I can burn it using your nifty tool.

Thank you. smile.gif

Edited by King818, 31 December 2007 - 09:01 AM.

#14 Kinryuu

Kinryuu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

I just want to say that iBurn360 makes a change to valid, stealthed ISO's that causes them to fail CRC checks in XDVDMulleter. So, with the recent bannings, I'm no longer 100% sure that iBurn360 can be trusted to burn 100% stealth images. The terminal method outlined in this tutorial should probably be okay, though.

#15 wolfienuke

wolfienuke

X-S Member

• Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(Kinryuu @ Jan 13 2008, 01:27 AM) View Post

I just want to say that iBurn360 makes a change to valid, stealthed ISO's that causes them to fail CRC checks in XDVDMulleter. So, with the recent bannings, I'm no longer 100% sure that iBurn360 can be trusted to burn 100% stealth images. The terminal method outlined in this tutorial should probably be okay, though.

Try this...
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=640355

I created this software to burn Xbox 360 images on mac by setting the layer break and not modifying the disk image in any way. It's still just proof of concept, but it works great for me. I programmed this in about 3 hours, so it's not pretty but it gets the job done.

It was fairly easy to do, I don't know why it has not been done yet. I think the mac developers are not as advanced as their pc counterparts as far as the hacking community goes. There are some incredibly smart programmers for the pc community here.

Tell me what your results are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users