metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:23 PM

Some of us in the lit forum were tossing around the idea of having a LOTW associated with the graphics forum. In the GFX, the graphics will be produced, and in the lit forum, the text will be added.

Confused? Don't be. This contest is to be graphical only. Your task is to make a comic template. It can be in color or black-and-white. It can be a full comic book page or it can be a small comic strip. The characters and situations you draw are up to you. You don't need to use any existing characters; you can create your own if you like. It doesn't have to be a visually stunning template. It can be made in MS Paint with a mouse if that's all you have. You must include speech and/or thought bubbles (at least, one in each panel).

Requirements:
  • Must be no larger than 650px (width) x 1000px (height). If you choose to make a comic strip (instead of a regular comic book page), you can stack them until the height reaches 1000px if you like. If you make each line of your strip 400px tall and end up with 3 lines (which totals 1200px in height), I'll allow it.
  • Must be one image. If you make a stacked comic strip like previously mentioned, make sure you put everything into one image.
  • Each panel must include at least one speech bubble. Thought bubbles are optional.
  • You can do as many as you like. I'll enter the one you tell me is your best one.
  • Very important: DO NOT add text in the speech/thought bubbles.
  • Although I'd prefer you create your own characters and situations, you can use existing ones.
  • Make it interesting.
I have several speech/thought bubble shapes for Photoshop I can upload if anyone's interested or too lazy to make their own. Let me know. After the voting ends, we'll take the winning entry to the lit forum and fill in the bubbles in another contest.

Submission Deadline: Friday, January 19

Feel free to ask any questions. I can post an example if anyone wants a little more clarification. The links in my sig will take you to the lit forum. Have fun, everyone. beerchug.gif

Edited by metaldevil, 12 January 2007 - 03:41 PM.

#2 Areohbe

Areohbe

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

I LOVE YOU!!!!!

This is the most fun I've had in PS since the worm on DD...
I'm not done yet, but I wanted to share what I have made so far:
IPB Image

#3 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

I'm here. My socks are over there. Somehow, they got knocked off. laugh.gif

Way to take the bull by the horns, man. That's awesome! Since this is a contest, I don't want to play favorites before voting begins, but that's a damn fine way to kick things off. smile.gif

#4 Areohbe

Areohbe

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

Thanks, leave your socks over there because I have many more to come... like I said this is my favorite thing ever!!! I may go beyond the contest and do these weekly, with my own text, just for the GFX forum viewers...

It's hard to do these, not knowing what the text inputer will do, because I have it very clear in my head what the consoles say...it'll be interesting what comes of these...

Who is doing the text again?

and I look forward to other entries biggrin.gif

#5 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:03 PM

If you are good at writing, you should take a shot at the LOTW also. You have the potential to win 2 contests in 1 week. As far as I know that has never been done in the history of the internet. biggrin.gif

The text is going to be written in, in the LOTW #5 contest.
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=564094

P.S. That is 1 sexy-ass sig!

Edited by throwingks, 12 January 2007 - 07:06 PM.

#6 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(Areohbe @ Jan 12 2007, 01:51 PM) View Post
I may go beyond the contest and do these weekly, with my own text, just for the GFX forum viewers...
That's what I was telling tks: that we should run an ongoing thread for these comics. That way, someone can either make a template in the gfx and/or add the text in the lit forum. No one would be excluded. Some would draw, some would write, and some would even do both. happy.gif

I told Haz about a similar idea I had for DD. I told him that members could make their own comics/comic strips to fool around in the PS Playground. My first idea for a theme was "Death to Celebrity X" where you were to put the celebrity you hate the most in a violent but funny death. I'm getting sidetracked... lol

QUOTE(Areohbe @ Jan 12 2007, 01:51 PM) View Post
Who is doing the text again?
Anyone that enters the contest in the lit forum after the winning template from this contest is chosen. So, if one of your templates wins, you can also enter that contest and fill it out along with everyone else that enters.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. smile.gif

Edit: I'm too slow. :/

Edited by metaldevil, 12 January 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#7 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

I have some extra webspace. If these comics are popular enough, I can host a website. I even have a domain name, that I am not using right now.

What's DD?

#8 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

^ That's cool, man. I'm looking forward to seeing the response from everyone else.

DD = Digi-Design

Haz's site got hacked not too long ago. I'm not sure about the progress of its return.

#9 Areohbe

Areohbe

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:10 PM

I do not think DD is ever returning...Haz had a post a while ago about how him and Wahoo were gonna go off and do there own thing...

I just saw the thing in the first post:
"-Each panel must include at least one speech bubble. Thought bubbles are optional."

There are a few panels in my strips that don't have bubbles.... am I disqualified?

#10 Hazanko

Hazanko

X-S Senior Member

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:GFX, Computers, Life, Friends, the basics i suppose ;) i like to fool around with my Xbox also tho.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:07 PM

trying to come up with an idea for this... i'd like to try this out!

as for DD - DD is gone.. or it's not being managed anymore rather. we're working on Sivign(which is going to be more portfolio and webdesign than forum-based). Sivign will have forums tho, we're working on it slowly, and we're anticipating the launch of it within the month(hopefully).

#11 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE(Areohbe @ Jan 12 2007, 05:17 PM) View Post
There are a few panels in my strips that don't have bubbles.... am I disqualified?
Since you said you weren't done with it, I didn't mention it.

From post #1:
You can do as many as you like. I'll enter the one you tell me is your best one.

Revision to the bubble requirement:
  • Each panel must include at least one speech or one thought bubble. You can have more than one in any panel, but the minimum is one per panel.

#12 Areohbe

Areohbe

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:34 AM

ok...i see

I'll probably just submit the top strip.... that meets the requirements...but I'm still gonna do some more biggrin.gif

#13 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:51 AM

IPB Image

#14 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:04 AM

Ha, if you edit out the word and add a bubble, you have the beginnings of a good strip.

#15 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

Since there's only one entry, then there's no need to start a voting period. sleep.gif

I'll take your strip like that, Rob. Don't worry about the panels without bubbles; we'll use it as is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users