Photo

Post Your New Custom Folder Icons Here! Part 2! (the New Icon)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 TomLoth

TomLoth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

Hey everyone, since team blackbolt decided to use a different folder icon for MC360 from now on, we can all start over again with creating icons.

So far I created the following icons (I'll post them up soon):

Da Ali G Show
Dirty Sanchez
Futurama
Jackass
Kyle XY
Mastermovies (Dutch Online Series)
Mythbusters
Oz
Pimp My Ride
Pimp My Ride International
Prison Break
Robot Chicken
Rutger Haalt De Krant (Some More Dutch Online Series)
Rutger Leert Stappen (And Even More)
SBS6 (More Dutch Stuff)
South Park
The IT Crowd
Welcome To The Scene
Welcome To Teh Scene
Wildboyz

I will be making quite a few more I need myself, and if I feel like it, and have the time I can do some requests as well!

So; start creating some fancy icons and post them up here!

Edited by Blackbolt, 20 January 2007 - 08:59 PM.

#2 Jezz_X

Jezz_X

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:42 PM

I think it will be easier for the people who made the old ones to just reup them again and hope that they have the original files :\ anyway I'll get started on the ones I did and maybe some others today

#3 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:20 AM

Wheeeeeeeeew!!!!!!!!! Ehhhhhh. Hope i saved all my psd files still. Should've known this might happen some day. Oh well. Life goes on i guess.

#4 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:51 AM

Ok, here's some for now. 4 1/2 hours of sleep, 14 1/2 hours at work, and 1 1/2 hours making these again, time for some sleep, getting delirious!! blink.gif biggrin.gif sleeping.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Edited by djdafreund, 14 January 2007 - 10:01 AM.

#5 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

Ok, a few more, now i'm sleeping for real this time.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#6 TomLoth

TomLoth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:48 AM

first: djdafreund, not to be harsh or anything, but can you read? I allready made 2 of your icons...
second: The other icons PSDs can't be used, the tilt is totally different.
third: again for djdafreund, and again not trying to be harsh or anything, but your icons look kinda blend and are a little too big, (imo) it looks better when they don't hit the edges.

Keep on posting everyone! wink.gif

#7 Blackbolt

Blackbolt

Skin God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

Yeah I agree with TomLoth.

Lets try to keep the quality on these icons high ok? Its not fair to users if people are putting out quick rush job icons that dont really look all too good. It may be harsh to the people who create these sub-par icons, but its best for everyone all around.

If you are gonna make some icons put some effort into it, its not just a case of copying and pasting a pixelated .gif logo over the folder icon and saving. Use some skill, some effort and create something that looks good.

Edited by Blackbolt, 14 January 2007 - 02:07 PM.

#8 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(TomLoth @ Jan 14 2007, 05:55 AM) View Post

first: I allready made 2 of your icons...
third: again for djdafreund, and again not trying to be harsh or anything, but your icons look kinda blend and are a little too big, (imo) it looks better when they don't hit the edges.

1st-Sorry, i already made those and thought i'd post them until your were posted. Sorry. Will make sure in the future not to do this.
third: Not taking harshly, it's ok. What is meant by "icons look kinda blend"?, i understand the little too big part, and i can change and repost those. I was used to the other folder icon where you HAD to make it ABAP, or else it wouldn't be barely readable on the screen. I haven't honestly looked at them on the xbox yet, so i'll do that, but i was just too tired last night to do it.

QUOTE(Blackbolt @ Jan 14 2007, 08:14 AM) View Post

Lets try to keep the quality on these icons high ok? Its not fair to users if people are putting out quick rush job icons that dont really look all too good. It may be harsh to the people who create these sub-par icons, but its best for everyone all around.

If you are gonna make some icons put some effort into it, its not just a case of copying and pasting a pixelated .gif logo over the folder icon and saving. Use some skill, some effort and create something that looks good.

I could possibly use a few tips then. The others i made were apparently fine all that time. The default icon is only 128x128, how much quality can i cram in that? I am using artwork, mostly at a resolution of either 1024x768 or 800x600 (most of the logo's) and almost 'camera ready' 300dpi resolution. But when i shrink it to fit the default icon, it makes it look much worse.
Please, could you give me just a few tips as to what your doing to keep it able to look good? So i can check things in the future? I want to help contribute, and i am definitely skilled at photoshop, but might be missing something here, since i usually always work with artwork/graphics at 1280x1024 - 3072x2304.
Also maybe post a finished good PSD, so i can take a closer look at a considered good one. Then i can remake mine, and future ones, with a better understanding of what you want as expectations, using your sample, and tips. Thanks a bunch guys. Just wanting to do the right thing here.

#9 TomLoth

TomLoth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

Glad to see you take it so professionally smile.gif
With blend I meant the colors look a bit washed out (I hope that clears it up)

And for the resizing; Just Google for a logo and try to get one around 300x300 or something like that.

I can't post my icons at the moment (server is being ass) but I'll post them ASAP!
I'm off to create some more icons, See Ya!

#10 Blackbolt

Blackbolt

Skin God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

I havent actually made any icons yet. But a tip from me, is if you have Adobe Illustrator, use the LivePaint function, and turn the JPEGs of the logo's into vectors, and use that to resize in photoshop as a smart object.

Also another tip is shadows, use shadows below the logos correctly, some of your shadows are hard edged and it just looks jaggie and amateurish. Blend your logos into the background icon, not literatly, just make the image fit together better. Avoid jpeg artifacted logos too, beware of jaggie edges once resized, like your family guy logo has just been shrunk down and plonked on the folder, its jaggie and not at the right aspect ratio, like you stretched it to fill the folder. Just take care and make use of all the tools photoshop has to offer. The biggest tip I can give you is DON'T RUSH, thats the biggest mistake people make with photoshop or other art apps, rushing to get it done because you can't be bothered, is bad. Take a break untill you want to continue. God knows I get pissed off doing graphics as I do it so much in life, but usually a break away from it for a few hours then I can continue fresh minded.

Edited by Blackbolt, 14 January 2007 - 06:45 PM.

#11 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

Ok, i value both your opinions, and appreciate your tips. I'll implement them in my future icons. They all make more sense now actually. The family guy logo i used (cleanest one i can find, might just scan my box art from dvd collection if i end up needing to.) was 400x264 so i tried to restrech it to match the original one.
Thanks so much guys for your tips and help!! That will definitely help me out in the future. And i will try not to rush also. I see your point, and i do understand what you mean about after doing some, you don't mean to rush more in the process intentionally, but to just stop, and come back later with a fresh mind.

#12 Blackbolt

Blackbolt

Skin God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

And remember now, as an artist, PIXELS are your enemy.

NEVER use lo-res artwork with hi-res artwork, I hate that more than anything, its like people actually don't understand the difference when mixing the two resolutions together.

Jaggies are your enemey, try to work towards NO jaggies and NO pixelation and you will be on the road to success. You should get into doing your art in vectors as much as possible.

#13 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:45 PM

Gotcha. I personally hate pixels, but at 128x128, it's not dealing with a perfect world. But i will try for sure. Now in all fairness though, a good part of the original artwork i did use was pretty good size in resolution. (Car-640x480,Family Guy-400x264, Living color-400x300) Not making excuses here of course, just letting you know i am totally also a hater of EVER using low quality with high quality.
I do side jobs of doing picture's for customers wanting special favors, or custom making pictures using different shots.(IE-Family picture's where a certain member couldn't be there at the time, removing certain objects, or indivuduals, or changing backgrounds, etc.) and am much more skilled with using high resolution images then i am at using low quality detailed images (200x200 or below), so all that info both you gave me will really be of help to me.
Can CS2 and CS3(Beta tester) can do Vector imaging? I'm not to experienced with vector imaging. I used it here and there when i did jobs when i managed and worked in the copy center at an Office Depot for 5 years. I understand the concept behind vector imaging (can scale without loosing any loss) but not in terms of proper programs to do it the right way, as well as how to actually work in to my advantage. Any links to guide me in the right direction would help if you have any though, on the side of course. Thanks BIG TIME!!

#14 Blackbolt

Blackbolt

Skin God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

I personally use Adobe Illustrator, love it. But I think you can use Photoshop to vectors, well I KNOW you can, just not with as much control as illustrator has.

#15 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:03 AM

Ok. I think i have a friend that has is. I'll mess with photoshop til then and see if it works for me for this at least. And thanks again, seriously, for the help. I might clip these and save them as some guidelines. I always appreciate good help. One is never old enough to learn. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users