138 replies to this topic

#1 BlackOmega

BlackOmega

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

OK, this one deserves to be posted here, let me get into a bit of the background first.

Ok, the xbox360 was just recently launched in Brazil, but many ppl had already imported the console a year or half a year before..

The problem is that lots and lots of consoles started failing due to problems with the xbox solder. Brazil is a tropical country, and it's common to see temperatures going above 40C especially in summer, and the xbox360 using a lead free solder is suffering heavy stress due do constant overheating of the consoles here.. and thus the high rate of "3 red lights of death".

Ok, since Microsoft Brazil refuses do suport imported consoles (who knows why..) some eletronic shops are starting to specialize in repairs, Owning 2 broken consoles myself I was searching brazillian forum for info on what to do when I strumble upon this thread:

http://forum.jogos.u...c.php?t=1048000

Here I'll post the pics and translate the first post

Originaly posted by megamania2004

Lifting the "little bastard"

IPB Image

This is a bit hot, but nothing that some pre heating can't solve!

IPB Image

The BRUTAL difference between the lead free solder and the normal one with lead that the industry knows and is used to work for YEARS!

Both already cold!
IPB Image

Some dots really BLACK shows the oxidations caused by short-circuits generated on the dots in the GPU.

IPB Image

Now the Reballing, we cleaned everything and replaced the spheres, here it's almost ready:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now the GPU with 100% new spheres using normal solder (with lead)

IPB Image

another picture:

IPB Image

And this one is for you pacote!!!
If it wasn't for the critcism I would never feel motivated to go further each time!!!

IPB Image

Just complementing, it seems that there is a law in the US that prohibts the use of LEAD on eletronic components used by children, and therefore m$ is using some really crappy solder for the GPU, resulting in all those failures we are seeing, (especially 0102).
Brazil been hot like it is just adds insult to the injury, many many imported consoles have failed (BOTH MINE FAILED) and we are finally getting some hope for repairs since microsoft trew us aside..

cheers!

ps: A little video on BGA, helps to understand what is going on..

Edited by BlackOmega, 15 January 2007 - 12:09 PM.

#2 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:10 PM

very cool! Nice pictures. I'll move this to the right section though.

#3 BlackOmega

BlackOmega

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:25 PM

=p thanks

btw, I forgot to post the video, here.
http://training.ipc....ovies/vt96p.mov

#4 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:53 PM

That is indeed a very nice job, ive always said this would be the best way to fix the 360's that get this error, but to completely remove the GPU and resurface it like that isn't an easy job. Replacing the GPU and soldering it down properly would also prove abit of a challenge.

Excellent job to the guy who did it, i'm quite impressed. smile.gif

#5 Tortuga2112

Tortuga2112

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:refs: <br />toraxe<br /><br /><br />scammers:<br />none
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

I couldn't play the vid . so its working ok?

#6 GeToChKn

GeToChKn

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Wow. And I hate doing PS2 cd/dvd controller legs. That, I don't fricking think so. lol.

#7 P4dge

P4dge

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

Very good job indeed, i wouldnt have the guts to do something like that.

#8 Dr. HD

Dr. HD

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:03 AM

Very impressive. Need balls to reball.

#9 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE(Dr. HD @ Jan 15 2007, 07:10 PM) View Post

Very impressive. Need balls to reball.

No, you just need the right tools

But no doubt it's still impressive

#10 mygameswirelesscom

mygameswirelesscom

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Repair PSP PS2 XBOX
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:26 AM

hey very NICE !!
good job!!
i will try with my 360 thats fuc.,. up!!
thanks for info!!

#11 davidrose9

davidrose9

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:42 AM

Anyone out there repairing 360s this way, would be getting my business I bought a new heat gun and have been waiting, not wanting to use it for a more permanent solution, this is obviously the way to go, and I am not going to heat my board up if there are reputable repairs reballing like this. If anyone is recommended please pm me I sure would like to send it out and get it fixed the right way. Seems to me a waste to heat gun it for a couple weeks of play and lead free solder separates again. No the answer.

#12 IcBlUsCrN

IcBlUsCrN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Wii-KEYED<br />360<br />ps3+linux<br />XBOX+xbmc<br />dS LITE+r4<br />PSP 1.5<br />FTA-ultra
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

did it work when it was done? from the pics it loos like the "reballed" the motherboard as well, i dont think they should have; its asking for shorts. and by the way i think its actually a EU law that it has to be green/rohs/pb free, The US just followed suit.
I did this very thing to a 360, removing is not that hard with the right tools, but putting it back on is, the one i reinstalled seems to damaged, not sure if its the gpu, or the board, I know the connections have been made because the board was xray'ed, looks ok. I would like to try it again but this time have a gpu ready to go when, the one comes off the board as not to apply twice the heat,
I have fully removed and reinstalled memory chips on the 360 and worked after. i have

I still maintain that the issue is the lead free solder and ground pins, The grounds under the ground pad itself are larger then the pad, thus needing more heat to melt the solder to make proper contact.

again i sure would like to know if the x360 worked after the fix, i would give it a go again...
I would also like to know what they used those tabs on the hsf holes are for?

Edited by IcBlUsCrN, 17 January 2007 - 09:20 AM.

#13 davidrose9

davidrose9

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE(IcBlUsCrN @ Jan 17 2007, 03:25 AM) View Post

I still maintain that the issue is the lead free solder and ground pins, The grounds under the ground pad itself are larger then the pad, thus needing more heat to melt the solder to make proper contact.

again i sure would like to know if the x360 worked after the fix, i would give it a go again...
I would also like to know what they used those tabs on the hsf holes are for?

I guess my biggest question, which I think is most important to me, anyway, does the heat gun method, if done correctly, ever become a permanent fix? I see all over the net success with heat method, great it works, then tracking same success stories with the ring is back a few days or weeks later, are some of these boards, that where fixed still up and running, or should I wait and send it out for a more permanent solution. I see one post was started trying to track longevity of this fix but it went south and never kept up seems like even not knowing if the newer 360 still will be effected by this or is this a early production problem? I read many stories all speculative. So this is fun isnt it? Unbelievable?

#14 Stonewall78

Stonewall78

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:05 AM

Ok for one it is not the lack of lead that is causing all these problems. Almost the whole world has gone to a lead free process for parts and soldering. You have to think about how many electronic items end up in landfills and how much lead is contained there, not so good for future generations. That said lead free solder has a higher melting point and that is why there are bad solder joints on that processor. Sure you can reball them like that and hope to hell you align it perfectly when you put back on but without specialized equipment most of the time you are going to fail. A heatgun method could work and work permatly but for most people it is just going to ruin it even more. The best thing to do would be to sent it off to a company with an xray machine and proper BGA rework tools, they might be able to fix it is the processor is not dead. Or heck you could go again and ruin it even more, what do I know I just do that stuff for a living smile.gif

#15 IcBlUsCrN

IcBlUsCrN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Wii-KEYED<br />360<br />ps3+linux<br />XBOX+xbmc<br />dS LITE+r4<br />PSP 1.5<br />FTA-ultra
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:12 AM

Well the only pernament fix would be to remove/reflow the bga pins like what the op shows, the problem is knowing what to repair, the gpu or memory, i was lucky enough to have the 360 xrayed and was able to tell exactly what pin's were not making proper contact. then you just have to worry about heat damage.
I dont think most heat guns will work. I use a hot air rework station. hakko 850B , set heat to 5.25 and air to 0. But then again my 360 did not work either after the gpu re-install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users