#1 ikillself

ikillself

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

I'm going to buy an Xbox 360 next month, and was wondering which to get? Xbox 360 Premium or Xbox 360 Core plus a Memory Unit--I really don't care for backward compatibility the HDD supports. I'm just afraid a bit because I read a couple of posts about HDDs causing problems to the console, and when you remove it, everything runs stable again. I don't want to buy Premium then buy a Memory Unit. Any help would be much appreciated!

#2 dvsone

dvsone

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

Never had or heard about any major problems with the HDD. If you plan on using xbox live you would be crazy not to get the premium. Demos, Trailers, Arcade Titles, Movies etc...

#3 Raven88

Raven88

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

purchase the PREMIUM as you will get more out of your 360 console. The CORE is very basic and boring and i guarantee you will have more problems with that then the PREMIUM. Also you have a guarantee as long as you don't VOID your console by opening the case. Hope this helps in any way.

#4 Helliano

Helliano

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

Premium. No doubt

#5 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:58 PM

HDD problems are fairly rare and seem to be limited to launch window units... at this point I wouldn't worry about it.

Go with the premium... it's by far the better deal... also Walmart sells the premium bundled with games I've seen it with COD2, MotoGP 06, or Burnout... When you consider the cost of the game that works out to be essentially the same price as a core+memory unit. and you get way more functionality out of it.

Toys R Us had a deal in December where you got a $100 gift card with the purchase of a premium... look around there are some good deals to be had

#6 soul-assassin

soul-assassin

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:46 PM

Definately premium. You also get the component HD cables and a wireless remote instead of a wired one on top of the HD. Oh, and don't forget a sexy "chrome" DVD bezel.

#7 greenday54261

greenday54261

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

Premium is definitely the way to go. HDD issues are really a thing from launch consoles and almost no others.
And if you're really worried about HDD issues, then try it for a few months before you mod anything. M$ gives you a 1-year warranty... it'd be foolish not to take advantage of it if you're so worried about the HDD.

#8 Knasen

Knasen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

I agree with everyone that premium is the best deal. Not only do you get some nice accesories like the AV cable, you will also want the HD for saving content from xbox Live (demos, movies, gamerpictures, map packs/expansions and so on) but also for storing gamesaves (if you don't buy a separate memorycard for this).

I would never buy a new console without the HD.

#9 satchef1

satchef1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:44 PM

Got a question to add to this, dont see the point in making a new thread.

Ive got the option to buy an Xbox 360 Core + PGR3 for 150, is it worth it or should i save up another few months and buy the Premium for double that?

The way im seeing it at the moment is i can buy the Core today, then in 2 months but the HDD and Wireless controller or i can save up for 2 months and pay the same price for the Premium pack as the Core + HDD + Wireless controller cost. Does the Core have any special limitations?

oh, and is it possible to save games onto anything other than hdd or memory card? i.e. is there a way to save on to PC or usb stick?

btw, im not bothered about High Def at the moment. The Xbox is coming out of the TV fund sad.gif

Edited by satchef1, 15 January 2007 - 09:50 PM.

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(satchef1 @ Jan 15 2007, 03:51 PM) View Post

Got a question to add to this, dont see the point in making a new thread.

Ive got the option to buy an Xbox 360 Core + PGR3 for 150, is it worth it or should i save up another few months and buy the Premium for double that?

The way im seeing it at the moment is i can buy the Core today, then in 2 months but the HDD and Wireless controller or i can save up for 2 months and pay the same price for the Premium pack as the Core + HDD + Wireless controller cost. Does the Core have any special limitations?

oh, and is it possible to save games onto anything other than hdd or memory card? i.e. is there a way to save on to PC or usb stick?

btw, im not bothered about High Def at the moment. The Xbox is coming out of the TV fund sad.gif

1. there is no functional difference between the core and the premium... if you've got a core and slap on a HDD it's performs exactly the same as a premium unit.

2. it's really up to you whether you buy that unit now or wait and just buy a premium. I think the biggest difference is buying a used vs. a new system, it's your call if your comfortable with that or if you can wait. If it was my money I'd just wait and get the premium, we're entering the post-holiday game release dead zone so it's not like you'll be missing much by waiting anyway.

3. you will have to buy a MU or HDD, you cannot save games on anything else.

#11 satchef1

satchef1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

Cheers for the quick reply. Think i'll go with this deal, seems almost too good to be true. Comes with 1 year Microsoft Warranty too so must be new!

#12 Knasen

Knasen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(satchef1 @ Jan 15 2007, 10:29 PM) View Post

Cheers for the quick reply. Think i'll go with this deal, seems almost too good to be true. Comes with 1 year Microsoft Warranty too so must be new!

As far as I know, MS can sell repaired 360s and apply a new 1yr warranty, so its not sure its a brand new console. But either way, if its a good price I say go for it.

Edited by Knasen, 16 January 2007 - 12:51 PM.

#13 baggiestbullet

baggiestbullet

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

Hey, I'm in the same boat I was given a hdd from a friend so I don't see the need to buy the premium, or should I still pick up the premium and use my hdd as and extra.

#14 alex thunder

alex thunder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Becky and my Mustang

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(baggiestbullet @ Jan 16 2007, 02:06 PM) View Post

Hey, I'm in the same boat I was given a hdd from a friend so I don't see the need to buy the premium, or should I still pick up the premium and use my hdd as and extra.

Premium also come with wireless controller whicvh is a big plus, plus it has the chrome tray which is good. I say get the Premium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users