baggiestbullet

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

So, quick question I want to buy a 360, but I'm still worried that I might get a defected version or that it may overheat, I was wondering if these problems that people are still facing are a result of neglegance or is it a manufacturing problem. If it's neglegance what can I do to not run into the same problems. Or should I just wait until MS comes out with a new 360. I'm really confused and worried that people are still posting problems with their 360s

#2 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:17 PM

My apologies for not being directly helpful but it seems that there are hundreds of these topics, some even just a few topics down... the answers are right infront of you

keep lots of cool air around it, keep it free from obstructions, dont take it apart... and some of them just die. its a combination of both just like anything

Edited by hamwbone, 16 January 2007 - 08:20 PM.

#3 baggiestbullet

baggiestbullet

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

thanks for your response, I have been reading everywhere on this site. But I'm still worried, like you said some just die. Should I wait until the new version of the 360 comes out? Or do you think that if a console is bought now the chances of failing are minimal.

#4 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

nobody has used the 360 that comming out later this year, its a crap shoot really. do you want to play the 360 now or a wait months? its really up to you in the end. any advice given at this point would be opinion based on technical specs, and that never works out.

as far as some dieing, consider spending a few extra dollars on an extrended warranty like at gamestop or something along those lines. insurace inst always a bad thing (says the man who works for an insurance company =) heheh

Edited by hamwbone, 16 January 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#5 baggiestbullet

baggiestbullet

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:47 PM

thanks again, I think I will fork down the money for a 360 along with the insurance as you stated.

#6 SphtKr76

SphtKr76

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:05 AM

Just get one now. Keep it out in the open where it can breathe, or get an intercooler if you are really worried about it. I myself would forgo any extended warranty, it has a one year built in, and if it fails after that you should be able to pick up a used console for pretty cheap. If you do need an extra warranty, get the MS one as it tacks on after the one year expires.

#7 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:11 AM

Youve got fairly slim chance of getting a 360 that overheats or is defective..........if you really want to you can wait until the 360's with 65nm CPU's come out, but you could be waiting a while for that........

And even if you do get a dud, M$ tech support is pretty good now....(unless your planning to pull it apart...)

#8 Super-Mari0

Super-Mari0

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:29 AM

The Lack of Moving cool air through the console.

Can't get anymore plain than that.

Hint: Don't leave ontop of cable box, closed cabin space, or on carpet.

KEEP IT WELL VENTED!!!!!

Hope that helps.

-Super Mario

#9 amb7247

amb7247

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE(Super-Mari0 @ Jan 16 2007, 08:36 PM) View Post

The Lack of Moving cool air through the console.

Can't get anymore plain than that.

Hint: Don't leave ontop of cable box, closed cabin space, or on carpet.

KEEP IT WELL VENTED!!!!!

Hope that helps.

-Super Mario

And if you place it openly on a flat surface also make sure to clear any dust on the surface as this can get collected and cause it to over heat. I've had mine since march and it's been solid.

#10 baggiestbullet

baggiestbullet

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:49 AM

Hey thanks this is all usefull information , I feel a lot better about picking up this console. One more question though I heard and read that the intercooler causes some voltage problem. Is this true? Or is this due to the user also. Should I even pick up a intercooler? My only problem with sending in a 360 to ms is that I'm worried that they'll just send out one that might be in a worse condition than the one that I might have sent in. Does this make sense? Thanks again for all the help.

#11 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:00 AM

intercooler is evil. do not purchase it. if you feel you'd like your 360 to run cooler get the pelican cooler. it uses usb and doesn't take over the power input on the box.

#12 b15ginz

b15ginz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:graphic design, web design.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:01 AM

what causes something to over heat?

what causes you to sweat?

heat.

if you run around in a blanket in summer youll sweat or maybe even over heat (faint)

when electronics overheat they getto the point where they r 2 hot and they start to fail (pass out - faint)

the componets in the electronics are working to much. if your worried, get fans and cool it down..because it wont heat after that.

#13 peachy997

peachy997

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

why is the intercooler evil? any particular reasons? was jus contemplating ordering one for my 360 and most of the technical reviews said it did lower the operating temp, is there something wrong with it i havnt heard bout?

#14 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:43 PM

The intercoolers aren't stable and can short a 360.

Another reason it can overheat is if the thermal is crappy. Bad placement or way too much.

#15 baggiestbullet

baggiestbullet

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

So, should I or shouldn't I buy the warranty. I spoke to a bestbuy rep yesterday and said for 60.00 it will cover 2 years, during the first year it can break an infinite number of times and they will give me a new one out of the store, but after the first year they'll only do it once. So in short should I buy the warranty? And also buy the pelican intercooler thingy? thank you. Any other info will be great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users