• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow3223

Shadow3223

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Modding, Halo, Xbox Live, Xbox 360, DOA, making new mods on my Xbox...
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:22 AM

I think this is the only place where I can post this...

Well after modding my Xbox for the 4th time, I just got bored of modding the same thing every time and went looking in my closet for something diffrent. I found my almost dead NES in a box. I looked at it and saw that this was the perfect candidate for it. So I grabbed my notebook and started writting ideas for it and finally I started doing something. First I fixed the annoying blinking effect...(one day I wasted like 30 mins just to get duck hunt to work mad.gif ). I Opened up my NES removed the 72 pin conector and did the restoring pin thing. Then went and disabled the lockout chip that made me lose my patience in my childhood (making me suffer like 30 mins to get the game to work dry.gif ). Anyways...here are some pics of the NES and a shot of the mobo with the chips....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yeah...I know...blurry pic...well seems that my camera can't handle some shots.

Ok...now the case...

I want to make a window so you can see the cartridge in the bay. Here is a pic of the outline of the window....

IPB Image

Here is a side by side pic so you can have an idea where is going to be...

IPB Image

I masked the case so i didn't do any damages outside the cutting area.

IPB Image

20 mins later...

IPB Image

Well I got my cuts done...but they'll need sanding yet.

Lets try it out and see if it works....

IPB Image

Hmmm....not bad cool.gif OK also I'm gonna add a fan to the unit. blink.gif I still haven't heard of NES overheating or burning, but I just want to add a fan (a led one would be better) just for show...and maybe a cooler NES. So I thought putting a fan right above where the PSU heatsink and luckly suck the hot air and blow it off from the vent of the NES. But the NES vents are kinda wierd and restricted the fan airflow. OK some more pics..

If my idea it right this is what he fan is supposed to do...
IPB Image

So I needed to mod the vents in a way that the air cold flow. I grabbed my dremel and started to shave away some of the plastic from the original vents off. I didn't wanted to cut the entire vents off because I wanted the original look of the case...and this is what I managed to do so far.

Unmodded Vents.....

IPB Image

final product after sanding and filing(don't know how its written cause english is not my primary language)the rough spots and leftover plastic...its now see through

IPB Image

So far this is all I could do. I plan on painting it and installing leds on it. If anyone has a question, suggestion or comment please feel free to write. I'll be posting any updates once I buy the paint and other stuff I need.

#2 garver

garver

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

I like it. What colors are you planing to paint it.

#3 Shadow3223

Shadow3223

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Modding, Halo, Xbox Live, Xbox 360, DOA, making new mods on my Xbox...

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

I think I'll use Metallic Black on the whole case itself. Then for ilumination, maybe some blue leds to light up the window and a blue led fan for the vents. Oh and one question....does anyone knows what kind of paint can I use to write the lettering on the case again?...I want to write them in blue so it goes with the leds.

#4 Arvarden

Arvarden

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

Chrome baby! Chrome for the love of GOd! What the hell are you thinking painting it black? We are in the 21st century not the 90's.

Gluck

/grabs coat

#5 Shadow3223

Shadow3223

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE(Arvarden @ Jan 18 2007, 03:05 PM) View Post

Chrome baby! Chrome for the love of GOd! What the hell are you thinking painting it black? We are in the 21st century not the 90's.

Gluck

/grabs coat

EWW...Chrome biggrin.gif Really I like chrome, what I don't like is the crappy spray paints of chrome. You need to wait a lot of time between layer so it ends up real nice, otherwise top layer will finish up looking mate instead of shiny. Also there is the finger print issue with chrome so I don't like chrome paint that much.

#6 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

That's great man. Keep it up, and love.gif the pics.

#7 FreakSho

FreakSho

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:05 PM

system is looking awesome, and the color choice sounds perfect too, keep us updated on this!

#8 Shadow3223

Shadow3223

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:45 AM

Sorry to keep you all waiting but I have been busy all this last week. College classes are making me study and work like crazy. Anyways I'll try to update tomorrow ASAP and show you the painted case. Also need to wait for my paycheck so I can start ordering the leds....maybe gonna order them from Sickmods. Well...later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users