• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 diaz_ruy

diaz_ruy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:55 AM

Hi everyone, I'm going berserk trying to figure this one out. I just bought a third party HD AV pack and just can't get it to work and I don't know if it's because of the cheap pack or my failure to configure stuff correctly.

My setup:
Xbox Crystal Edition, soft mod
Evox 3935
NTSC Toshiba 27" (27A45C) - manual indicates only 480i is supported through component input (Color Stream)
Third party (cheap) HD AV Pack

The symptoms:
I connect the HD AV pack and the component cables to my TV, and when I turn on the XBox, the initial logo displays fine. As soon as the dashboard loads (evox), it all goes to hell. The image is completely misaligned (scrambled, like out of sync somehow, can't make any sense). I have managed to navigate into MS Dash (same scrambled result) into the video settings and guessed my way to disabling all the progressive modes and switching through the different video modes with no improvement in the result. I have also tried holding the L and R triggers and pushing the L and R joysticks while in video settings to no avail.

I have contacted the guy that sold me the AV pack and he says he can give me a refund because he's seen this happen before and doesn't know how to remedy it. However, it feels like it's something that should be fixable since the initial splash screen displays correctly.

Am I missing some configuration or am I better off getting the refund and looking for another AV pack?

#2 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:18 AM

Why buy a high definition pack to run on a standard definition tv? If you want optical sound, you need to look at an advanced AV pack.

#3 diaz_ruy

diaz_ruy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

Yes, what I want is optical sound, that is correct. However, isn't component video supposed to be better than S-Video? That's the only reason why I chose the HD over the advanced sad.gif

#4 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:04 PM

You won't see any difference between Composite/S-Video/Component on a 480i TV. S-Video is better than Composite because it carries 480p, and Component is the best since it does 480i all the way to 1080i on the Xbox, but you won't see a difference if your TV doesn't support these resolutions.

#5 diaz_ruy

diaz_ruy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

In that case I guess I'll send the HD pack back. Thanks for your help!

#6 burstofspeed

burstofspeed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:35 AM

I've got a similar problem.

Im on a SDTV 480i, with component inputs (btw there's a difference between composite/yellow and component even on a SDTV, less bleed and easier to see text)

Starting my xbox regular (with regular ms dash) it works fine, plays all regular games fine with dolby digital by using the Xbox brand component cables and a optical cable.

The problem occurs when I start up my xbox using Unleashx or xbmc. The X green flubber screen is fine but then it changes out the resolution to one my TV cant handle, the result is black and white lines. mad.gif Audio works fine though my optical cable

Ive been though all the setting and disables all settings over 480i. Ive changed the settings in the MS dash, in UnleashX, and XBMC. Everything is set to Ntsc and standard or 4:3 resolution.
BTW everything works fine when using the standard A/V composite cables that came with the xbox.

I just want to get either unleashx, or xbmc working with the component cables.

Edited by burstofspeed, 22 January 2007 - 02:36 AM.

#7 Sageice

Sageice

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Jan 18 2007, 04:40 PM) View Post

You won't see any difference between Composite/S-Video/Component on a 480i TV. S-Video is better than Composite because it carries 480p, and Component is the best since it does 480i all the way to 1080i on the Xbox, but you won't see a difference if your TV doesn't support these resolutions.

You are wrong on so many levels. S-video does not do 480p it only does 480i and 576i. The reason S-video is better than composite is s-video carries luminance and chrominance on separate wires, while composite combines the signals on the same wire. Component on a 480i TV does look better than S-video but the difference is not a dramatic as with S-video vs composite.

#8 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

Well, I must have been misinformed on that front, but there's one thing I certainly am not wrong about and that is the fact that your sig is far too big. See your PM box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users