• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tiger72

tiger72

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:12 AM

I have an nforce5 motherboard. I purchased an xecuter connectivity kit v2 thinking I could flash the 78 that way. My BIOS displays the Hitachi drive just fine but when I boot to windows it's not there. I figured out that's because the 78FK doesn't accept the mode-b switch on the xecuter 360 connectivity kit. Of course, I didn't know that beforehand because although there's lots of info about hacking drives, there's very little info on what you can and can't do with the 78FK (besides it being difficult to hack). Anyways, here's my problem.

I've got Slax inserted into my PC's DVD drive, and I've got the 78FK hooked up to my SATA port on my PC. As I mentioned before, the BIOS detects the drive just fine. When I boot up my PC with slax2.0_alpha1, I get the slax login screen, it then starts loading up slax. The login screen goes dark, and then my monitor stays black and my PC locks up. I try ctrl-alt-del - no rebooting. I can only reset my computer.

So I try Slax 2.1, and instead I don't get a loading screen, but a bunch of errors:
Total of 1 processors activated (4403.60 BogoMIPS).
ENABLING IO-APIC IRQ's
..TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=0 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
..MP-NIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ... failed.
...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ... failed.
...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ... failed sad.gif.
Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work! Boot with apic=debug and send a report. Then try booting with the 'noapic' option

Any ideas?

#2 KingNZ

KingNZ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

I have only done a few 78Fk's but everytime slax has NOT fully loaded, I cant remember the specific error but I would test to make sure the drive is in modeB by pushing the eject button if it takes two clicks to open and two to close it is in modeB hit reset and let windows load. When I get home I will check which version of slax i use just to confirm

#3 daz1968

daz1968

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:59 PM

Mine runs through ok ends up with a screen asking to enter login name, then I reboot pc and then drive is recognised in windows fine, the only problem I have is that I have to eject tray when I get the drive spinning message, Never seen an error though, I have via6421A and xecuter kit, I have latest slax.

#4 tiger72

tiger72

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:10 AM

alright, I used the power brick for the 360 to power it on. Once I turned on the 360, I turned on my PC and tried to boot to slax. Once Slax started loading up, I ejected the drive on the 360. Still no dice. It gives me the exact same error as above about the IO timer.

Any other ideas?

#5 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:13 AM

Try this: (it works for me)

1) Connect SATA cable from PC to v78
2) Boot PC with Slax in drive
3) As soon as the Slax starts to boot connect the power using your kit, but make sure the eject button is down and the mode b button is up.
4) You should get the "Drive spinning" message, just press the eject again and everything should work.

#6 scrano

scrano

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:23 AM

I just replied to your post over at Xecuter. Going by your original post your saying that you're using Slax 2.0. I'm pretty sure you need Slax 2.1 to get a v78 drive into modeB.

#7 Captain00

Captain00

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:11 AM

note to anyone having problems with a 78FK using the VIA 6421 in windows, BigSteel's method worked like magic after many many failed attempts.

#8 bigtone0777

bigtone0777

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

I can't even get slax to boot!

#9 elyk1212

elyk1212

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE(tiger72 @ Jan 18 2007, 06:48 PM) View Post

I have an nforce5 motherboard. I purchased an xecuter connectivity kit v2 thinking I could flash the 78 that way. My BIOS displays the Hitachi drive just fine but when I boot to windows it's not there. I figured out that's because the 78FK doesn't accept the mode-b switch on the xecuter 360 connectivity kit. Of course, I didn't know that beforehand because although there's lots of info about hacking drives, there's very little info on what you can and can't do with the 78FK (besides it being difficult to hack). Anyways, here's my problem.

I've got Slax inserted into my PC's DVD drive, and I've got the 78FK hooked up to my SATA port on my PC. As I mentioned before, the BIOS detects the drive just fine. When I boot up my PC with slax2.0_alpha1, I get the slax login screen, it then starts loading up slax. The login screen goes dark, and then my monitor stays black and my PC locks up. I try ctrl-alt-del - no rebooting. I can only reset my computer.

Any ideas?

Yep. I had the same issue. Go into your BIOS menu and simply disable APIC functions. From my understanding, though I haven't investigated much into the reports, there is a bug in the Linux kernel (APIC timers functions) for this version of Slax (2.1).

Anyhow, it was simple to get around once I poked around the BIOS menu a bit. I have a Asus m2n-MX motherboard, in case anyone was wondering... this detail might be helpful smile.gif

#10 elyk1212

elyk1212

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:07 AM

Oh btw, I had to eject the drive a few times while the on screen status said:

spinning disc........

I had NO NEED to turn on the power the Xbox360 at weird times. I simply turned on the power well before booting the PC... and had the Sata cable connected to my Motherboard before turning on my PC, of course. Then simply booted to slax 2.1 and ejected when prompted that it was "spinning disc...".

Hope that helps someone...

#11 Maximize

Maximize

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

make sure the 360 is on its own power the fk does not stay in mode b after power is shut off, so when you restart your pc mode b will be lost, unless it is powered by the 360

#12 Traviss63

Traviss63

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

Use Jungle Flasher! JF has integrated Podgers Mode B utility. All you have to do is plug in the drive press 'Mode-B' then insert a retail dvd and read/spoof/erase/write.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users