• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:19 PM

Microsoft Expands XBLA File Size to 250 MB
Posted by XanTium | January 19 12:19 EST

From 1up.com:

The Xbox Live Arcade file size was capped at 50 MB to accommodate consumers who purchased the hard drive-less Xbox 360 Core SKU (those consumers had to use one of Microsoft's memory cards). Under condition of anonymity, sources revealed to 1UP that the file size for Xbox Live Arcade titles has been increased from 50 MB to 250 MB and with Microsoft's approval, that size can be expanded to 450 MB. When asked for comment on the reported change to file size, Microsoft said, "We do not comment on rumor and speculation and so we can not confirm that rumor. Aside from the exception we granted for 'Castlevania: Symphony of the Night,' we have not announced any plans to alter the file size standard for Xbox Live Arcade games. However, adjusting the size limit is certainly an option in the future, and as always, we are listening to feedback both from gamers and developers on what will provide the best user experience. Whatever choice we make, we will hold a position that provides for the best possible Xbox Live Arcade gameplay experience."

With games potentially expanding to 450 MB, an oft-rumored 256 MB memory card (EB Games lists one for $59.99, expecting it to ship March 1) wouldn't be sufficient, either. If there is a memory card upgrade (and there will be, eventually) expect it to hold 512 MB of data.

Full Story: 1up.com

#2 pholly

pholly

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

Why don't they just let us use external storage or make an adapter for the memory card slot that will take flash memory and be done with it.

#3 amexie

amexie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

that size we will start seeing n64 ps1 ports soon

#4 tNCecil

tNCecil

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

n64 games almost all fit under the 50mb rule. And I doubt it anyway.

#5 signal-to-noise-ratio

signal-to-noise-ratio

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:51 PM

Now we definitely need a bigger HD. Does Ms even use their own equipment? They have to be annoyed by running out of hd space also.

#6 newf

newf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

make it as big as they want as far as I am concerned. Just give us the option to delete them and redownload them in the future if we need since we already paid for them.

50 meg is too small, and with live arcade having the potential that it does, why restrict it? I know old cartridege based games were generally small anyways, but live arcade could be SOOOO much more then what it is right now so obviously something needs changing.

#7 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE(newf @ Jan 19 2007, 12:12 PM) View Post

make it as big as they want as far as I am concerned. Just give us the option to delete them and redownload them in the future if we need since we already paid for them.

You can do that right now... infact you could do that way back when the 360 launched rolleyes.gif

#8 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:14 PM

i think this is great news, i cant wait to see what types of new and old games they release now.

forget about ps1 and N64 ports, i say bring us the saturn games!

#9 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

WTF? How could the 256 memory card be "oft-rumoured" if it was anounced at e3 last year!!! it was one of the peripherals at the show.

Now we definitely need a bigger HD. Does Ms even use their own equipment? They have to be annoyed by running out of hd space also.

The dev kits use some huge 100+ gig HDDs. A n64 game would be way bigger on the 360 cause the download will have to also include the emu.

Edited by incognegro, 19 January 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#10 jimjom

jimjom

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Interests:4 8 15 16 23 42
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

Nice, I knew this was gonna happen. Just too limiting! Now we'll see some real class!

#11 Pheidias

Pheidias

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

Why don't they just let us use external storage or make an adapter for the memory card slot that will take flash memory and be done with it.

MS Just wants to make money, they don't care about what you want or don't want. They want total control of the environment. Thats why they use propriety.

Edited by Pheidias, 19 January 2007 - 07:22 PM.

#12 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Jan 19 2007, 07:28 PM) View Post

MS Just wants to make money, they don't care about what you want or don't want. They want total control of the environment. Thats why they use propriety.

WRONG! because MS is scared of piracy. So they rather make most everything propriety so that piracy isn't as easy as say....the ps3 rolleyes.gif

maybe if they just sold u a computer then u wouldn't complain, there is nothing proppriety about that and its also a haven for piracy.

#13 Lordscr

Lordscr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

Who really cares about the size of a game, we have almost 3 decades of great game that would use less than 50 megs of memory and what about all of the flash games avalible on the net that are fun and use a hell of alot less than 50 megs.

#14 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(incognegro @ Jan 19 2007, 12:25 PM) View Post

A n64 game would be way bigger on the 360 cause the download will have to also include the emu.

Why include emu's when you can do it right and make it native?

#15 mister.shine

mister.shine

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Jan 19 2007, 06:21 PM) View Post

i think this is great news, i cant wait to see what types of new and old games they release now.

forget about ps1 and N64 ports, i say bring us the saturn games!

I would love to see revamped versions of the original Daytona(not the crap CCE edition), NiGHTS, Dragon Force and of course Radiant Silvergun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users