gg22mm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:24 AM

Hey everybody, I need help identifying this part of a Seagate ST380011A HDD controller board. What is it? Is a transistor, resistor, capacitor?? Its got a 100 written on it. Mine's been thorned apart from the board, and i think thats the reason why the HDD is not working now tongue.gif. Could it be replaced by something different?
Thanks for the help, being able to properly name the part will make buying the replacement much easier!
IPB Image

#2 DarkMatter

DarkMatter

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:24 AM

The component in question is an SMD inductor.
You may possibaly get away with replacing it with a wire link, but its there for a reason, and may cause the HDD to run erratically due to noise.
The inductor is there to filter out noise at a specific frequency, and hard drives can be extremely sensitive to any voltage rail or EMI interferance. It may cause disk read/write errors or just refuse to work outright.
You really need to locate the componet and try refitting it. You may find another on a junked hard drive if you can't locate the original.
Regards,
DarkMatter

#3 gg22mm

gg22mm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:34 AM

Thank you sir, that is exactly what I needed to know! I owe you a beerchug.gif.

Regards,

G2

#4 gg22mm

gg22mm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:38 AM

Sorry for the double post but I can't edit.

The point is that thank's to you, Mr. DarkMatter my HDD is working again. After googling for inductor I found out that its a like a coil. Since mine had been thorned from the board, after testing for continuity and finding that it was still on 1 piece inside, I assumed that ony the casing and connectors were damaged. I got a tiny bit of double sided tape, some really tiny pieces of wire and some solder, put it back on, and had it working again.

Now I can get back the gamesaves and use Live again without getting banned because of swapping HDDs.

Thank you again!

G2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users