TruBlue89

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:51 AM

Ok so i just got done installing my backlit start and back buttons in my wireless controller. They work fine and everything and then something happened to where only the back and start buttons work and the ring of light doesnt come back on at all. Here is a rundown of what i did. I ran the two buttons in parallel with the negative wire going to the collector on my NPN transistor, and the positive wire going directly to the + on the battery terminal. As for the - on the battery terminal it is ran directly to the Emitter and the base is ran to the bottom pin of the set of three under the A button. I have tested this out and it does work but something that i did or didnt do caused only the start and back buttons to light and caused the ring of light to not light in sync. Any help would be appreciated.

NOTE: The only thing that went wrong later on was that the pad on the 3rd pin under the A button came lose ... i fixed it though and got it working again. Not sure if that would cause anything to happen. Also I even tried removing everything i installed including the NPN transistor, all wiring and the leds. The ring of light still wouldnt light up .. whats the deal????

Thanks

Edited by TruBlue89, 21 January 2007 - 07:03 AM.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,785 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

Does the controller still work? Have you tried connecting it with the PnC cable (if ya have it) and see if it sync'd up that way? Plugging it in with the cable forces it to sync to the 360, if it can.

#3 TruBlue89

TruBlue89

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:07 AM

No I dont have the PnC kit. Also i tried connecting to the 360 even though the ring of lights didnt light up .... i got nothing. Another thing is that i just searched the board over and over again and discovered that the pad on the - battery terminal was lose ... which would case problems for the emitter to work right on the transistor. Wouldn that be the problem here...now just to get the pad back on ... any helpful tips for that cuz i hate fixing pads.

Edited by TruBlue89, 21 January 2007 - 07:14 AM.

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:07 PM

Anyway you can get pics of what you believe is damaged? The pad can technically be "loose" and still have a good electrical contact and work. Are your LEDs lighting up when you turn the controller on? If they are then the - terminal is still making contact, but should be fixed up anyway.

Do you have a multi meter handy? I've seen a few Wireless controllers now with a bad Via that keeps them from powering up. I thought the first one was a pure fluke, untils I had 3 more with the exact same problem in the exact same spot. I can show ya where to check voltages and see if it's the problem or not. You'll either need a 3v power supply, or a way to rig up 2xAA batteries so you can power the board up out of the shell.

#5 TruBlue89

TruBlue89

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Jan 21 2007, 12:14 PM) View Post

Anyway you can get pics of what you believe is damaged? The pad can technically be "loose" and still have a good electrical contact and work. Are your LEDs lighting up when you turn the controller on? If they are then the - terminal is still making contact, but should be fixed up anyway.

Do you have a multi meter handy? I've seen a few Wireless controllers now with a bad Via that keeps them from powering up. I thought the first one was a pure fluke, untils I had 3 more with the exact same problem in the exact same spot. I can show ya where to check voltages and see if it's the problem or not. You'll either need a 3v power supply, or a way to rig up 2xAA batteries so you can power the board up out of the shell.

Alright yes the start and back buttons light up right when i put the batteries in. No i dont have a multi meter to test any points. What are you talking about when you say "Via"? Also i do have a way to power up the controller from outside but how do you actually repair the controller so it will work again?

#6 TruBlue89

TruBlue89

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:07 PM

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#7 wutitdo

wutitdo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

Hey, what size are those LEDs?? Thinking bout doing the same very soon

#8 TruBlue89

TruBlue89

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

RDC i need your help man ... here are some pics .... i ended up swapping the board with another one and installing the leds in on that board. I am now stuck with a controller that doesnt work still. All i want for the broken controller to do is work i dont care if i get backlit start and back buttons in it. Here is the end result. Oh and the buttons were purchased from llama. You will also need a NPN transistor if your wanting to install them in a wireless controller. Installation in a wired controller is a sinch.

IPB Image

VIDEO BELOW ... WATCH

http://s103.photobuc...nt=MVI_0170.flv

Edited by TruBlue89, 21 January 2007 - 04:28 PM.

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

The LEDs shouldn't light up until you turn the controller on, if they're turning on as soon as you put the battery pack in then that controller has another problem. Without a multi meter you're not gonna be able to do checks for me so I can tell what's going on where on the board. I really don't see what ya could have done to made it get in that condition, though you should be running a couple of Resistors with that Transistor, but that wouldn't cause the issue you're having with it.

Via = (Vee-uh) They're all those little circles you see all over the board in different spots. They're basically a "tube" that goes thru the board and provides an electrical connection, so the trace on the top can connect to the one on the bottom.

We can do a test right quick, since you don't have a meter, to see if the Via is bad or not anyway. See that row of 4 pins there in the middle of the board? Going by your pics, |1|2|3|4| What you'll need to do is jumper the Left pin |1| to TP1 on the back of the board, it's next to the Left Trigger at the very . Solder a wire in place to make that connection from the one spot to the other. The TP1 spot is a Test Point and you can get new solder onto it very easily to get the wire to "stick" there. Once you have that jumper wire in place, see if the controller powers up or not and let me know.

#10 TruBlue89

TruBlue89

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

Im still getting no power at all ... prob one of those vias your talking about. Possibly excess solder could have dropped into there and caused it? I usually try to be careful about things like that but that could be it. What else can i do ... if nothing else can be done should i go buy a meter? If the meter cant help me sort this prob out then i dont want to waste any money on it. I appreciate your help RDC biggrin.gif

#11 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

No problem. If that jumper wire didn't get it going, then it has a problem I haven't seen yet and will need to have some troubleshooting done to it. There's not really too much more you can do, not having the multi meter is one thing, and no offense intended, but without some background knowledge of what parts do what, having a good one to go by and use for part swapping (that you don't mind possibly getting tanked in the process also) troubleshooting something like that is just about impossible. I really don't know what more to tell ya man, even if ya had a meter, we could chase readings all over the board, and it may still be a dead duck. It's entirely possible that the thing just up and died on it's own also and you did nothing at all to it, it just happened at that exact time when you installed the LEDs.

#12 TruBlue89

TruBlue89

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:53 PM

Wow thats crazy .... pm sent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users