X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Interests:KoRn
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:20 AM

Sorry to say but after the years of the widescreen TV a lot of producers decided to film in widescreen or whatever.. Ok fine, I caved in because I couldnt stand those damn black bars or stretching. Oh sure it was fine for a while, then all of a sudden the almighty god HD format comes out. So I go and buy the addon for 360. First I pop in king kong on my widescreen to see some of those beautiful black bars. Widescreen movies, fine.. Whats the point of this resolution. I dont see ANY reason at all why there should be black bars. I also was told that only some movies had the "super widescreen" resolution. So I checked out two more HD-DVD movies (V for Vendetta, and Terminator-3) Hmmm what do I see, blaaaaack!!! I refuse to watch any more black bars on my widescreen. So anyone know of a list of what the resolutions are for all the HD movies?

#2 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:24 AM

Your HDTV has an aspect ratio of 16x9 (1.78:1).

If you were to watch a 1.78:1 movie (list), then you would have no black bars, horizontal or vertical.

Most widescreen movies are filmed in 1.85:1, and 2.35:1. Since these are wider than the 1.78:1 format, you'll still get black bars on top and bottom.

HERE is a pretty comprehensive list of DVD aspect ratios.

And yes, V for Vendetta and Peter Jackson's King Kong are among the "widest" DVDs, at 2.35:1...

QUOTE(gordita37 @ Jan 24 2007, 01:27 AM) View Post

Sorry to say but after the years of the widescreen TV a lot of producers decided to film in widescreen or whatever.

Most theatrical movies have been filmed in widescreen WAY before any widescreen televisions were available. The original (1976) King Kong movie was ALSO filmed in 2.35:1...

#3 gordita37

gordita37

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:23 AM

yes.. just noticed when I rented regular non-hd talamega nights.. nice ultra widescreen.. Thanks for the list, didnt know imdb had one. Should have, I go there enough to read reviews and junk.

edit: took a quick look and seems the list is for regular DVD movies. Im trying to find any decent films worth watching in HD in a nice 16x9 format. Unless the list lists HD movies which I dont think it does because im not finding king kong under the 2.35:1 section.

Edited by gordita37, 30 January 2007 - 02:26 AM.

#4 gordita37

gordita37

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:41 AM

oh duh.. netflix tells you the screen format at the side. At least now i'll know what to get and what not to get! pop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users