13 replies to this topic

#1 Intex

Intex

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

The modded 360 that I've used for some time has just decided to play up. This appeared to be after the recent mandatory MS update. You can turn on the 360 and it will simply freeze at the boot-up sequence, other times it will go straight through to the dashboard quite happily.

In pretty much all instances the console will freeze if you play any games. This does however seem to subside if I change back to the normal MS video cable rather than the HD lead I'm using - but it still freezes, so I'm thinking that's coincidence.

What do you think? Is it:
  • Bricked as a result of the Jan Update detecting a DVD firmware mod?
  • Coincidental problem with underlying hardware?

Would flashing it back to the original firmware help? What's people's experience of the Jan update? I've done all the previous live updates and it's never caused a problem.

Any guidance appreciated.

#2 kidman64

kidman64

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:46 PM

i'd go with technical malfunction, since i haven't heard of any bricks because of january's update

#3 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:10 PM

Xbox 360's are just unreliable... thats why modding is so risky because you void your warranty...

It has nothing to do with the update it is coincidence...

#4 Knasen

Knasen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:00 AM

If all people with flashed drives were bricked in Jan update you would have heard it here on the forums. Mine is modded and working perfectly. I say hardware fault also.

#5 Intex

Intex

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:50 AM

That's what I reckon as well. It was one of the very first 360's and I never had any problems with it even when other people were experiencing issues with freezing.

I guess I'll open it up and make sure everything is seated correctly.

Thx.

QUOTE(Knasen @ Jan 28 2007, 12:07 PM) View Post

If all people with flashed drives were bricked in Jan update you would have heard it here on the forums. Mine is modded and working perfectly. I say hardware fault also.

#6 dirkoneill

dirkoneill

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

I have not modded my 360 and the latest Gears of War or system update did the same thing to mine. I also have an early model from December of 2005. Sometimes I can start up to the dashboard and play a movie, most of the time I freeze at the MS spash screen, other times I get the 3 red lights. Is anyone else having this issue?

#7 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(dirkoneill @ Jan 29 2007, 04:31 PM) View Post

I have not modded my 360 and the latest Gears of War or system update did the same thing to mine. I also have an early model from December of 2005. Sometimes I can start up to the dashboard and play a movie, most of the time I freeze at the MS spash screen, other times I get the 3 red lights. Is anyone else having this issue?

It is unrelated to any update... with 10 million consoles sold there is always a percentage that fail cooincidently with a given action...

3 red lights is a hardware issue. Most likely your console is overheating.. another thing to check is the power supply, make sure it is well ventilated, try having it not sit directly on the carpet and see if it helps.

#8 dirkoneill

dirkoneill

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

Mine is definitly a software issue. There are a few things that give this away.
  1. Everything was working perfectly until I installed the update
  2. The system will sometimes give me the red lights after the console has been off for two days. No heat.
  3. Sometimes the sytem will boot and I can watch HD movies. I am pretty sure that two hours of decoding HD would heat the system up more the 2 seconds of connecting a controller.
  4. Sometimes I can get gears of war to load but when I turn on the second controller, the system freezes right away.
Thanks for the suggestion about the power brick though. I will check that out but nothing has been moved in over three months and everything had been perfect, even after six hours of HD play. The day that I did the update, the system had been off for three or four days and it did the update as soon as the system started up. I think that I will be on the phone with MS tonight.

Edited by dirkoneill, 31 January 2007 - 02:48 PM.

#9 georaldc

georaldc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:32 PM

So, there aren't any real problems with the latest January update huh? I haven't been on live for a while. Need to fix my network settings again, but I was kinda afraid to update it since I was thinking it might brick my console.

#10 bonsc2

bonsc2

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(georaldc @ Feb 1 2007, 02:39 PM) View Post

So, there aren't any real problems with the latest January update huh? I haven't been on live for a while. Need to fix my network settings again, but I was kinda afraid to update it since I was thinking it might brick my console.

I havent updated since the end of november 07 update as that caused a few problems to

#11 greenhead90

greenhead90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

I after ages with the same games got bored and chucked in a copied ver of forza motorsport... which required an update! BTW... it was a really early firmware hack, way back when firmware hack was only available for the type of one drive!

Anyway,

Hit yes, and now I am getting exactly the same symptoms as above:

sometimes boots into dash
mostly hangs at ms splash (fuzzy screen + wierd noise)
sometimes boots games then fuzzy screen + wierd noise
sometimes i get the red lights

So... did u guys ever manage to resolve this issue or is it try ur luck with microsoft??

#12 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

Does it work any better with the hard drive removed??

If so... try clearing the hard drive cache.

#13 greenhead90

greenhead90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

Same issues with or without the HD unfortunately...

#14 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:34 AM

Ms will tell you to send it in... but you can only do so if you didn't void your warranty which you already have...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users