Lesaras

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:54 AM

Okay, I know Rwolf put out his guide, and its actually an easier way, because my way was using an XDK converter and a wave bank extracter. But this guide was made to also instruct people on the folder locations and making a mod both PC and Xbox compatiable. Plus I typed out 8 pages and that won't go to waste. You can skip the section about converting to Xbox ADPCM with XACT and EkszBox and just use Rwolf's conversion methods.

Have fun with the sounds and remember, if you make a mod, try to make it as compatiable with Xbox and PC Morrowind as you can.

Custom Morrowind Xbox Sound

Custom sounds on the Xbox version of Morrowind have been impossible up to now due to a sound folder layout change and strange WAV files. Here is how to add a custom sound.

Required:

For Voice:
Construction set
Recommended to use the Morrowind Compatibility Pack methods for the Xbox plug-in conversion
Windows Sound Recorder
XDK Xbox Audio Creation Tool (Or another Windows PCM to Xbox
ADPCM Converter if you can find one)
Ekszbox ABX v 1.4
Recommended to use the Morrowind Compatibility Pack methods for the
Xbox plug-in conversion
For Music: (To be added soon... Somebody try it with an mp3 in you'd like. It's mostly new explore and battle music that I need to figure out. Others can be called in scripts.)
Construction set
Recommended to use the Morrowind Compatibility Pack methods for the Xbox plug-in conversion
For Creature Noises:
Construction set
Windows Sound Recorder
Ekszbox ABX v 1.4
Recommended to use the Morrowind Compatibility Pack methods for the
Xbox plug-in conversion
For Sound Effects (Spells, Animations, etc):
Construction set
Windows Sound Recorder
Ekszbox ABX v 1.4

Folder layout:
It's really simple. Basically, the Morrowind xbe takes any file path of "Vo\" "Cr\" or "Fx\" that is in the plug-in file and changes it to the main directory of Morrowind (Where the Xbe is located, D:\ on the disc). The folders normally inside of the Voice, Creature, and Effects folders are still present, however, just mixed together in the main directory. And the battle, explore, and special MP3 music folders are still within Data Files.

For a WAV File (Voice)

You need the sound file to be in a Windows PCM WAV (Just a regular .wav file on the computer, like the ones recorded through Sound Recorder). The Xbox plays Xbox ADPCM WAV files however, so the first step is to convert it. I'd recommend keeping a backup though, and putting the regular Windows Wav in the PC Morrowind Sound folder when the time comes, if you want a PC and Xbox Version of your mod.

1. Open the .wav in Sound Recorder.

2. Goto File -> Properties

3. In the combo box select "All Formats" and click Convert Now...

4. In the box for Format put "PCM" and for Attributes "16.000 kHz, 16 bit, Mono 31 kb/sec"

5. Click the box for Save As... and enter "Xbox Pre-mastering" to keep the setting for later. (You can pick it again instead of changing the Attributes".

6. Hit okay.

7. Goto File-> Save as and save your .wav in another folder but keep the same name as the PC version, to avoid complications.

8. Now the file is ready to be converted to Xbox ADPCM.

If you know where to find a Windows PCM to Xbox ADPCM converter, use it now. I’ve only found one and these are steps to do it. The Xbox Audio Creation Tool (XACT) in the XDK will convert the files, but forces them into an Xbox Wave Bank (.xwb). However, modders’ tools have allowed for extraction of these Wave Banks. The tool I’m using is EkszBox ABX v 1.4.

1. Open up XACT.

2. Goto File -> New Project

3. Make sure the wave bank folder is selected in the left hand window.

4. Goto Wave Bank -> Insert Wave and find the file you want to convert

5. Click on your WAV in the file list window.

6. Goto Wave Bank -> Convert to Xbox ADPCM.

7. Goto File -> Build

8. Open up EkszBox

9. Click the folder icon next to Kenny and open your .xwb file

10. Check “Xct Database”, “Auto-Clear”, “list” and “Tidy Names” Enter names in the rename files, unless you are okay with the Bank 00001.wav it outputs. Select Auto on the all the drop down boxes. Click the folder with a checkbox icon next to “Auto-Clear” and select where you want the converted file to go.

11. Click the floppy icon next to Kenny and it will extract the .xwb

12. Go to the extract folder and the .wav there will be an Xbox ADPCM file for the Xbox! You may need to rename it.

Now you need to add the sound into the plug-in.

1. Go into your Morrowind sound folder and the Vo folder.

2. Now pick a folder or make your own and put the .wav inside it. Let's just say I used Vo\i\f\GW_woman_yell01.wav as an example. (The Xbox ADPCM files will not play on the PC, so if you want to make the mod testable on the PC or PC and Xbox compatible, add the original (Windows PCM) .wav to the PC folder)

3. Open up the Construction Editor

4. Goto Gameplay -> Sounds

5. Click the new button

6. Enter a name for the sound. (Try to make the name something unique, like when you name scripts. Use your initials or something.)

7. Click okay

8. Click on Sound Filename while your sound is selected and navigate to the location of your sound. Change the volume if you want. I don't yet understand the range, though.

9. If you want the sound on a creature, you will need to add it onto the creature for animation movements in Gameplay -> Sound Gen. Otherwise, you can call it through a script.

Now, when you go to copy your mod over to the Xbox, go into the main directory (with the XBE) and follow the folders as though they were inside the Vo folder and place your folder with the new sound in the same place it was on the PC. Or if your folder was right inside Vo, just make a new folder in the main directory.

For a MP3 File (Music) (To be added soon... Somebody try it with an mp3 in you'd like. It's mostly new explore and battle music that I need to figure out. Others can be called in scripts.)

For a WAV File (Creature (Cr))

You need the sound file to be in a Windows PCM WAV (Just a regular .wav file on the computer, like the ones recorded through Sound Recorder). The Xbox plays Xbox ADPCM WAV files however, so the first step is to convert it. I'd recommend keeping a backup though, and putting the regular Windows Wav in the PC Morrowind Sound folder when the time comes, if you want a PC and Xbox Version of your mod.

4. In the box for Format put "PCM" and for Attributes "16.000 kHz, 16 bit, Mono 31 kb/sec"

5. Click the box for Save As... and enter "Xbox Pre-mastering" to keep the setting for later. (You can pick it again instead of changing the Attributes".

6. Hit okay.

7. Goto File-> Save as and save your .wav in another folder but keep the same name as the PC version, to avoid complications.

If you know where to find a Windows PCM to Xbox ADPCM converter, use it now. I’ve only found one and these are steps to do it. The Xbox Audio Creation Tool (XACT) in the XDK will convert the files, but forces them into an Xbox Wave Bank (.xwb). However, modders’ tools have allowed for extraction of these Wave Banks. The tool I’m using is EkszBox ABX v 1.4.

1. Open up XACT.

7. Goto File -> Build

8. Open up EkszBox

10. Check “Xct Database”, “Auto-Clear”, “list” and “Tidy Names” Enter names in the rename files, unless you are okay with the Bank 00001.wav it outputs. Select Auto on the all the drop down boxes. Click the folder with a checkbox icon next to “Auto-Clear” and select where you want the converted file to go.

12. Go to the extract folder and the .wav there will be an Xbox ADPCM file for the Xbox! You may need to rename it.

1. Go into your Morrowind sound folder and the Vo folder.

2. Now pick a folder or make your own and put the .wav inside it. Let's just say I used Cr\Alamlexia\GW_Alamexia_Scream01.wav as an example. (The Xbox ADPCM files will not play on the PC, so if you want to make the mod testable on the PC or PC and Xbox compatible, add the original (Windows PCM) .wav to the PC folder)

5. Click the new button

6. Enter a name for the sound. (Try to make the name something unique, like when you name scripts. Use your initials or something.)

7. Click okay

8. Click on Sound Filename while your sound is selected and navigate to the location of your sound. Change the volume if you want. I don't yet understand the range, though.

9. If you want the sound on a creature, you will need to add it onto the creature for animation movements in Gameplay -> Sound Gen. Otherwise, you can call it through a script.

Now, when you go to copy your mod over to the Xbox, go into the main directory (with the XBE) and follow the folders as though they were inside the Cr folder and place your folder with the new sound in the same place it was on the PC. Or if your folder was right inside Cr, just make a new folder in the main directory.

For a WAV File (Effect (FX))

5. Click the box for Save As... and enter "Xbox Pre-mastering" to keep the setting for later. (You can pick it again instead of changing the attributes.)

6. Hit okay.

1. Open up XACT.

7. Goto File -> Build

8. Open up EkszBox

1. Go into your Morrowind sound folder and the Fx folder.

2. Now pick a folder or make your own and put the .wav inside it. Let's just say I used Fx\envrn\GW_Wind_Breeze.wav as an example. (The Xbox ADPCM files will not play on the PC, so if you want to make the mod testable on the PC or have the end result PC and Xbox compatible, add the original (Windows PCM) .wav to the PC folder (You’ll add the Xbox version to the Xbox separately)

5. Click the new button

7. Click okay

9. If you want the sound on an item, you will need to add the item on to the sound through its tag in the Object window. The buttons vary for each tag, so just look for a Sound ID button or Add Sound.

Now, when you go to copy your mod over to the Xbox, go into the main directory (with the XBE) and follow the folders as though they were inside the Fx folder and place your folder with the new sound in the same place it was on the PC. Or if your folder was right inside Fx, just make a new folder in the main directory.

Some notes on the sound files

When converting to Xbox ADPCM through XACT, don’t have an 8-bit PCM file. The reason is because XACT can also convert to an 8-bit PCM file, and won’t convert them to Xbox ADPCM (The option is grayed out).

The specs for the Xbox sounds, in the format used in GhanBuriGhan’s “Morrowind Scripting for Dummies” are as follows:

“Cr”, “Vo” and the “Fx” folder
Xbox ADPCM (.wav)
16000 kHz, 4-bit, Mono

The specifications that I put a wave into to be converted to Xbox ADPCM are as follows:

“Xbox Pre-mastering Format”
Windows PCM (.wav)
16000 kHz, 16-bit, Mono

The one way I can find to test the current format of a .wav is to try to play it on your computer and if it fails to play (No sound) it was converted. Unless you have the Xbox ADPCM codec installed.

#2 Rwolf

Rwolf

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:I like everything! from toys to boys its all good! ^_^
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:29 AM

8 pages? damn. my tutorial was like 3 sentences long LOL!! anyways, great job, some parts are a bit confusing and your method requires you to allready own alot of programs... but i think you did a fantastic job at explaining things and you have a much highter understanding of the format than i do...

#3 atomic_kangaroo

atomic_kangaroo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Gaming
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

and no offence you're both terribly vague, thankfully I've worked out how to convert the sounds seeing as Lesaras' tutorial isn't clear on what you are pressing, like for instance.

when it should say:

3.Make sure the wave bank folder is selected, then right click it and click "new wave bank"
so you can actually insert the file in part 4, otherwise you can't select anything if you just "Make sure the wave bank folder is selected"

and Rwolf, you 3 line tutorial no offence doesn't explain squat. you just say use "amWave Pro" and that you got sounds working, with no mention of how you got them going exactly.

So thankfully Lesares is a bit more detailed so not as impossible to work things out, but some aren't that astute at picking up on the errors and correcting it themselves.

Even the references to Ekszbox: In case anyone is wondering I'd assume "Kenny" is the orange icon in the tool bar? as it's not exactly clear it's kenny from southpark, and another thing people may overlook.
Including "auto Clear" which one? AutoGui-Clear or AutoEdit-Clear or both? I'm assuming AutoEdit-Clear.

And add sound in Ther Construction set.... this is classic

"9. If you want the sound on a creature, you will need to add it onto the creature for animation movements in Gameplay -> Sound Gen. Otherwise, you can call it through a script."

Ok so your directing us on how to add a sound to the game, but not how to make it functional, and if we want to add the sound to a "creature" then we just have to guess how the hell we do it?

As this is an old thread and I won't hold my breathe it will be updated anytime soon, can anyone direct me to a proper Morrowind sound editing tutorial now I have worked out how to convert the audio. because it's a bit pointless doing so if you can't damn well use it in the game now is it?

Would appreciate it if anyone does, cos I have been googling without much luck and plan on converting quite a few mods "WITH SOUND" and not just the usual texture/model hacks doing the rounds for the xbox that I plan on uploading the converted files to save people the hassles of doing it theselves as I've been experimenting and should be able to get "Children of Morrowind" and "Tamriel Rebuilt" Converted, Landmass a 3rd the size of Morrowind anyone? (I have it working, just need to resize textures and "CONVERT THE AUDIO" or should I say, reassign the audio as I have now got it worked out.

Sorry if I sound like an ass, just when peeps write tutorials it helps if they write them correctly, something I will do when I have it all sussed out and get time as many people do still play MW on the XB and PC.

Edited by atomic_kangaroo, 29 August 2009 - 08:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users