• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SeanLazer

SeanLazer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

I soft-modded my Xbox using Krayzie's NDure package and then installed XBMC as the default dash and now the DVD drive doesn't work. I put a DVD or game in and it spins up and XBMC says the drive is "Busy" but after a few seconds it just says it's empty. If I look at my Xbox info in XBMC and go to the DVD-ROM tab it says "getting info" but nothing ever comes up. If I exit to the MS Dash and try to load up a game I get the standard "Your Xbox cannot recognize this disc" error. My DVD drive was kinda sketchy before I modded my Xbox but it was never like this. It would always load games but would occasionally freeze after a few hours of gameplay.

Does anyone know why my DVD drive would go from working-ish to being almost unrecognized by my Xbox? Thanks smile.gif

#2 SeanLazer

SeanLazer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:14 AM

Update on this kinda... I went back and made UnleashX my default dash and I'm having the same problem. It detects the drive as empty even when there's a disc (retail game or retail DVD, I don't have any burned media to try out and I doubt it would make a difference) in it.

I guess something must have fucked up at the initial install. Is there some way to update my DVD-ROM firmware or something? I'm really at a loss here and as much as I'm enjoying having turned my Xbox into something of a HTPC, I'd like to be able to play my games and watch my DVDs! Any help is appreciated.

#3 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:20 AM

My DVD drive was kinda sketchy before I modded my Xbox but it was never like this
if it can't cold boot orignal games then the DVD drive must have died
the softmod is not active with a cold boot

#4 SeanLazer

SeanLazer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE(xman954 @ Feb 5 2007, 12:27 AM) View Post

if it can't cold boot orignal games then the DVD drive must have died
the softmod is not active with a cold boot

I've considered that possibility but it seems like a pretty wild coincidence that my drive would completely stop working at the exact moment that I installed a new operating system.

As well, what does "the softmod is not active with a cold boot" mean? When I boot up with the eject button it still loads XBMC or Unleash, not the default MS Dash. Could that be part of the problem?

Thanks for the help

Edit: Hmm... so I just tried something different... I hit eject to turn on the xbox, and then quickly put in Halo and closed the tray. Halo loaded up fine, so I can say for sure that it's not a hardware failure.

Edited by SeanLazer, 05 February 2007 - 06:50 AM.

#5 SeanLazer

SeanLazer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:59 AM

Alright upon further testing it seems like it really is a hardware problem. I guess I'll go get one of those CD/DVD player cleaning kits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users