Rotfloljfk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

Ive never hacked a rom before, but I basically just wanna fool around with Super Mario RPG and learn how it works and maybe create an expansion or something to the game.

Where do I start?

#2 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:47 AM

moving...

Get a hex editor. There are some decent free ones. Then start looking around. There are guides on the net if you search google. Search for Zophar.

Edited by throwingks, 05 February 2007 - 12:07 PM.

#3 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

www.romhacking.org

#4 Rotfloljfk

Rotfloljfk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

Well, it doesnt look like you can create a whole different event or story for this game...I was kind of aiming for what they did in The Legend of Zelda Parallel Worlds.

#5 Shadow3223

Shadow3223

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Modding, Halo, Xbox Live, Xbox 360, DOA, making new mods on my Xbox...
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:08 PM

Most things that are out there are for translations or so you can edit and add your own text into the game. If you wanna make something like adding levels and such, you have to be really good working with Hexadecimal codes and have a good Hex editor for this. If you wanna learn how to change or modify ur own SNES game start with Super Mario World and use a editor called Lunar Magic cause is very easy to do. With this you can change all the levels in SMW and make your own. Also if u can find a Hex editor and the SMW table you could also change the text and dialouge in the game. Hope this helps....if you make a SNES game let us know...I want to play it. tongue.gif

#6 Methadon

Methadon

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:07 AM

You should start with some NES roms. I used to dabble in the romhacking scene on the translation side (if anyone remembers what little Enygma Soft released). Anywayz, there's many different ways to go about it. There's good ol' hexediting, which is mainly good for uncompressed text (uncommon in your RPGs, though). There's tons of tools available from general graphic hack tools and what not, to custom per-game utilities that let you custom build your own levels.

Your SNES games usually have the stuff you want to hack compressed somewhere. I remember spending mad hours on IRC talking with NC and some others about certain assembly hacks to output stuff into formats I could manipulate. Then you have to get it back in (harder, usually). Anywayz, if you don't know x86 assembly, or aren't willing to learn it, I doubt you'll do as much SNES romhacking as you'd like. Still, give it a shot and see what you come up with. Zophar.net(if they're still around) has a bunch of tools & tutorials to get you started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users