• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Senf

Senf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:26 PM

I followed all the tutorials on using the via card, i could not get it to work, so i tried the vcc methhod, no luck so i soldered a wire between where the resistor had been then to the other solder dot near the chip for good measure.

When i try to work my xbox 360 now it tries to read the disk for a minute then says open tray.

I have not even copied original firmware yet BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT WORK. Is there any way i can fix this, i dont really have the money to replace the whole system if i have to send the drive to one of you guys for repair then so be it ill pay so long as you don't steal it.

Im really annoyed now, and at the same time feel like crying. I asked what to do but my via card just did not work. Is it possible to still get the original firmware off even if its corrupted and extract a key? If its possible to do more flashing then please help me. Ill giv money. I got the via summat A and onboard nforce4 cannot get any to work.

Please help im desperate. thanks

#2 mianus

mianus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

depends on your soldering work. Anyone else reading this do not do the resistor trick unless you REALLY know what you are doing and have some soldering skills. Its just way to risky.

So now what you need to do is see if someone can repair it and hopefully you didn't screw anything up too bad. If all else if the chip is fine it could be desoldered and read but really that gonna be a spendy option.

#3 Senf

Senf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:30 AM

my soldering is fine the joints are fine, i connected the wire to each end of the previous resistor then to the little solder blob next to chip, i tested it with a multimetre and it seems ok. Its just the componant thats inbetween the resistor and the chip, is the bottom connector supposed to be connected on the same track as the resistor bottom track? Because it is on mine. I really need a wiring diagram to be sure but im sure its not my soldering work thats the problem. if Grim187 is the guy that can externally retreive keys from the chips where does he live coz usa is a long way to post. Anyway please give me as much info as possible as regards reading firmware, circuit diagram for that specific area, etc

I have prior soldering knowliege i have done electronics and know how to solder, its just that little componant thats next to the resistor on the chip side im unsure about

#4 Exobex

Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:32 AM

If you mean the one that's to the left of it (closest to the epoxy if present) then yes, it's linked.

#5 Senf

Senf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

yeah thats the one, so if the soldering is fine then is it corrupted firmare?if so can i still retrieve the key?

#6 cerealkillajme

cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

Check to see that you have your SATA cable plugged into the DVD drive. Reading for about a minute then stopping at open tray error is what happens when you forget to plug the SATA back in after flashing. Might not be it, but I've seen it happen plenty and done it a few times myself.

To see if it really is dead you should try putting the resistor back, solderbridge the connection where it was, or put a wire between the 2 points, it's a Ok ohm resistor, so you don't have to worry about putting the original resistor back. Once you have the 2 points connected again test the drive to see if it works.

Edited by cerealkillajme, 06 February 2007 - 02:52 PM.

#7 Senf

Senf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

Im testing it with a wire across the 2 points insted of resistor. The sata is plugged in because i used the original sata and a longer one just to see if it was that but i doubt its that. It works perfect untill it finished reading the dvd then instead of playing the game or saying there is a game in it starts reading again, then again and again then gives up and says open tray. It opens from pressing open tray on the xbox screen and closes it opens and closes from the button on the xbox it says reading when there is a game in its just it does not complete the final phase.

Im hoping i don't have to buy a core and swap the mobo and thedvd into my premium then re-actic 5 it and put the fans back in, but i guess i may have to if theres no other option if its comkpletely screwed, i cant act innocent and take it back to play.com because they will check it and see that its been opened and soldered, and if not then micro will and they will contact play.com and in turn contact me and ill get done for fraud aswell as other things.

I live in uk so i will only send my xbox to grim as a last measure when all else fails.
Thanks for all the help so far, to anyone attempting this kind of thing even if like me you have done xbox classic stuff before, think twice or get someone else to do it because if it is fixed id prefer to get it done by someone who knows what do do properly unlike me who have read about 7 tutorials bought all the hardware and it dont work.

Some people say how can you brick a drive? From reading the tutorials its almost impossible to do this, yet mine broke, what does the xbox do if the dvd is not soldered in right? I have used a multimetre on it and the resistor is fully bridged, i have connected all the ribbon cables. If there are any more tests i can do with a multimetre then let me know.

#8 Senf

Senf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:35 AM

Ive found a 0k ohm resistor on one of my ancient sound cards, tomorrow im going to desolder the wire and resolder that in and try my best to make it look untouched, the microsoft seal is not broken on my case because they put it on incorrectly. only thing thats different is arctic 5 wich people aint gonna notice. Im just wondering on return ing it weather they would notice or not. If im not supposed to talk about this on the forum im sorry i did not know.

#9 charlieaf92

charlieaf92

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:34 AM

Where are you located? If you live anywhere near Cincinnati or Columbus I'll do it.

Charlie

#10 Senf

Senf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:59 PM

Well microsoft sent me a new console instead of repair even though id opened it tongue.gif . Its an 05 model i know thats hitachi. why u reckon they sent me an 05 model? the hitachi drive seems more noisy than my old samsung too.

#11 Methadon

Methadon

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE(Senf @ Feb 23 2007, 12:06 AM) View Post

Well microsoft sent me a new console instead of repair even though id opened it tongue.gif . Its an 05 model i know thats hitachi. why u reckon they sent me an 05 model? the hitachi drive seems more noisy than my old samsung too.

Because it's a repair center. They get all the broken consoles sent in, and send out refurbed ones. They're not particular on making sure you get YOUR system back, just as long as you get one that's passed their tests (to help reduce the risk of you having a problem again). When they reached for a tested system to send you, the one they grabbed was from '05. Very possible that it's got hardware it wasn't manufactured with as well (ie, might have a new DVD drive, or possibly have something new soldered to it somewhere, though unlikely in this case).

Just thought I'd add that the "somethign new" I was speaking of is simply what I've noticed in general electronics, refurbished models will sometimes have some "bootleg" looking fixes on them, possibly due to an area of the mobo being deemed "corrupted", but able to be bypassed and re-routed (small pcb sometimes) to cover the same functions. Again, in this case, it's highly unlikely, considering how the 360 is designed. You'd run into this more on general consumer electronics (TVs, portable devices, etc.).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users