Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:49 AM

BenQ VAD6038 - New DVD Drive in Xbox360
Posted by XanTium | February 5 22:49 EST

GaryOPA mailed in to let us know Microsoft has finally started using the new BenQ VAD6038 drive for the Xmas'06 production run (MFR date November 06 and up) to replace the Toshiba-Samsung and Hitachi-LG drives Microsoft dropped. Of course they didn't change all production lines to this new drive at the same time ... but starting November 2006 (Xbox360 MFR date) it's possible you'll get this new drive.
According to XBOXIZGOOD, who already got an Xbox360 with this new drive, the BenQ VAD6038 runs super-quiet compared to the TS and HLG drives and even loads stuff a bit faster and smoother.
The new drive is based on Philips design (remember the Philips VAD6037 drive was already found before in some Xbox360 dev kits (no AES key), never in retail 360s though).
It was already announced for a while the retail Xbox360 would soon get a new 'BenQ-LiteOn-Philips' drive (these 3 companies merged their ODD business).

Cilix posted some pictures on our forums of this new drive he found in his November-13-2006 retail Xbox360:
BenQ VAD6038
BenQ VAD6038
More Pictures: pic03 | pic04 | pic05 | pic06 | pic07

Of course right now there is no modified firmware for this drive yet. Drive hardware has to be analyzed and firmware dumped first before work on a modified FW can start.
According to GaryOPA prototypes of this drive in March 2006 were based on the BenQ 1650V PC drive and you could use MTKFLASH to dump the firmware. If you have one of these final (November 2006+) BenQ VAD6038 drives and can help them get this drive or dump the firmware: let 'em know. There's also a XBH thread (serious/hacking posts ONLY - thx) about the new drive.

#2 garver

garver

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:03 AM

If this is true I hope my 360 breaks so I can use my best buy warranty.

#3 ebphondaprelude

ebphondaprelude

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:06 AM

Wow i didnt know they dropped both other drives,

any1 have a shot of what the dvd tray look like on that? is it diffrent from the preproduction photo from a while back?

#4 Cilix

Cilix

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:13 AM

sweet pictures. me and my extremely dry hands haha.

#5 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:18 AM

I broke the story first..... tongue.gif

#6 Grim187

Grim187

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE(impimpin206 @ Feb 5 2007, 07:29 PM) View Post

I'd rather see an HDMI port. And something like a 120 GB drive.

defantly, o well i knew they where gonna come up with something more to stop us,
i wonder how long it will be before we see a hacked fw for this one...lol

I'm not really a big fan of the noise but its not like i can even hear the DVD drive over the 8 fans total that i have in and on my 360

#7 garyopa

garyopa

X-S Genius

• Admin
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Embedded Hardware and Firmware
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:31 AM

The prototypes of this drive in March 2006 were based on the BenQ 1650V PC drive.

As such if this is still the same design, you should be able to use MTKFLASH to dump the drive,
as the BenQ 1650V uses a SPI Flash eeprom with the MTK1359SE chipset.

If anyone gets one of them and does not want to send me the drive, and has a VIA SATA chipset,
which is known to work with the MS28 drives, please do the same as you do on dumping the MS28
drive and email us the contents of what you get with this drive.

Thanks for all your support.

And thanks to XBOXIZGOOD to be brave enough to post about his new drive and take all that
flaming at first. Wish I could have stepped in earlier and stop some of the flaming he got.

#8 Cilix

Cilix

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE(garyopa @ Feb 5 2007, 10:38 PM) View Post

The prototypes of this drive in March 2006 were based on the BenQ 1650V PC drive.

As such if this is still the same design, you should be able to use MTKFLASH to dump the drive,
as the BenQ 1650V uses a SPI Flash eeprom with the MTK1359SE chipset.

If anyone gets one of them and does not want to send me the drive, and has a VIA SATA chipset,
which is known to work with the MS28 drives, please do the same as you do on dumping the MS28
drive and email us the contents of what you get with this drive.

Thanks for all your support.

And thanks to XBOXIZGOOD to be brave enough to post about his new drive and take all that
flaming at first. Wish I could have stepped in earlier and stop some of the flaming he got.

Dammit, I wish I had known that. I have a VIA SATA chipset. sad.gif

#9 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE(garyopa @ Feb 6 2007, 04:38 AM) View Post

Not a problem. I've lurked around these boards long enough to know that a lot of BS gets posted or misconstrued. I wish I would have had the means to post pics, but I didn't. I understand everyone's skepticism, so no hard feelings towards anyone. From alot of play time on this new drive, I can tell everyone that this drive is SUPER QUIET. You still hear the drive spin very fast, but when the game is constantly loading data it's nearly inaudible. I have been sitting very close to my 360 to try and determine how the drive sounds and behaves, and IMO it's alot better than the SAMSUNG and Hitachi in nearly every aspect of operation.

I think everyone will agree that Oblivion sort of bogs down or pauses briefly in certain areas, but this new drive really helps with all that. It doesn't ELIMINATE all the issues, but it certainly makes load times quicker and smoother when moving between rooms and areas.

Also, when turning on the system, or retracting the dvd tray without a disc, you will hear two "bonks" and then hear the spindle spin once very quickly and briefly. When you are booting a disc, you should notice a slight decrease in the time it takes for the game to actually get up and running.

#10 47_M450N_47

47_M450N_47

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, anything with computers and networking. Gaming. Shooting stuff, blowing up stuff.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:29 AM

Before I had read that it isn't possible to switch out the DVD drives in 360s, is this still true? If not, is there any way to purchase the drive by itself? I'd like to get a drive that is quieter, yeah the noise can easily be overcome by turning the speakers up, but that often times results in unhappy or annoyed family members.

#11 Deihmos

Deihmos

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE(47_M450N_47 @ Feb 5 2007, 11:36 PM) View Post

Before I had read that it isn't possible to switch out the DVD drives in 360s, is this still true? If not, is there any way to purchase the drive by itself? I'd like to get a drive that is quieter, yeah the noise can easily be overcome by turning the speakers up, but that often times results in unhappy or annoyed family members.

Go buy a new Xbox if you want the drive. That's the only solution as of now.

#12 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:58 AM

Nice. Now all they need to do is introduce HDMI - and the Xbox 360 will be on par with the PS3 (media player wise). I'm looking forward to buyng an HDMI 360 now, when they're released.

Someone needs to do a BenQ 360 drive VS. Sony B-D PS3 drive noise comparison. The PS3 drive is very quiet, I'm hoping this new drive is the same.

#13 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Feb 6 2007, 06:05 AM) View Post

Nice. Now all they need to do is introduce HDMI - and the Xbox 360 will be on par with the PS3 (media player wise). I'm looking forward to buyng an HDMI 360 now, when they're released.

Someone needs to do a BenQ 360 drive VS. Sony B-D PS3 drive noise comparison. The PS3 drive is very quiet, I'm hoping this new drive is the same.

I was just about to post a comparison. I have the 60GB PS3, which I've had since launch. I only have Resistance to judge the PS3's mechanical noise, so other games may or may not make as much noise. As you all know, the PS3's BD doesn't spin as fast as the 360s, so it IS quieter in that it doesn't make as much noise when at full RPMs. HOWEVER, my PS3's BD drive is MUCH noisier than the BenQ drive in my 360 when it's actually pulling data off the disc. My PS3 actually sounds like the LG drive that came in the original XBOX late in it's lifecycle, when it's pulling data. I've even put my ear to the vents by my 360's HDD and I could still barely hear the BenQ while continually loading areas while playing Saint's Row and Oblivion. Both games pull data constantly, and you know what they sound like on your T/S or Hitachi. So again, the PS3 isn't as noisy as the BenQ drive at max RPMs(though it is better than the Hitachi and T/S), but when reading the game the BenQ is VERY QUIET in comparison. It all boils down to which noise you're more comfortable with.

QUOTE(Trance Mix @ Feb 6 2007, 05:36 AM) View Post

How does the BenQ Tray look like?

It looks exactly like the tray in the Philips VAD6037, except the tray is GRAY.

#14 xtreme_360fw

xtreme_360fw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:my girl, fixing shit, gaming, Street Fighter, arcades, the truth, knowledge... and my girl
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:39 AM

Wow, now i might resell my modded console or even trade it for one of these quieter BenQ drives. I got a small LCD screen setup myself when i play in my room and I have my console close by and the drive noise is honestly too much for me. I got a Talismoon Whisper Fan in there but that only lowers it by so much, that leaf blower of a DVD drive makes too much noise when i'm playing a game with the volume low. I would also like to get a hold of one of these drives to test out the firmware dumping capabilities to contribute into the R & D of another firmware solution but maybe M$ have added some extra security... either way, it'll be fun to play with and easy on the ears when it comes to night-time gaming. So at first i was afraid, but now i'm actually welcoming this drive! This BenQ drive + smaller processor + HDMI port = Almost perfect 360 console! smile.gif

=Xtreme=

#15 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:46 AM

You're still gonna get wind noise from the drive, albeit much quieter. Mechanically though, it's killer how quiet it actually runs. Saint's Row really keeps the drive busy, and even that game can't make it loud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users