PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

The 10 Commandments of a Console Launch
Posted by XanTium | 7-2-2007 11:49 EST

From gamingnexus.com:

With the launch of the PS3 and Wii 3 months behind us, we've taken a look back at those launches and as well launch of the 360 and tried to come up with a set of new rules for the next major console launch.

1. Thou shall not force us to kill for your system, thou shall have at least 600,000 units at launch
2. Thou shall have enough accessories to go with the system
3. Honor the father and the mother, do not charge more than $350 for thy next system
4. You shall not bear false witness against your system specs
5. You shall not steal extra money from us by not including key components in the box
6. Remember a gaming day and keep it holy (release new online content on a consistent basis)
7. You shall not covet your neighbors titles, make sure you have at least three solid first party launch titles
8. You shall not commit gaming adultery, backwards compatibility should be an all or nothing deal
9. Thou should have good tech support and a solid replacement policy in place for defective units
10. Future launches will launch with one and only one SKU

Full Story: gamingnexus.com (via joystiq.com)

#2 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:52 PM

It's supposed to be "thou shalt"

#3 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Feb 7 2007, 01:59 PM) View Post

It's supposed to be "thou shalt"

laugh.gif

#4 calderra

calderra

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

Some of these are great, some are iffy:.

"1. Thou shall not force us to kill for your system"
-What about working longer hours or working two jobs? "People will work more hours... people will work two jobs to get PS3", said Krazy Kenny

"4. You shall not bear false witness against your system specs"
-What about against your games? Like saying "All launch games will be in 1080p@60fps." or "Resistance is running in 1080p at a silky-smooth 60fps", or "Motorstorm is in 1080p at 60fps", or "Killzone is real gameplay".

"6. Remember a gaming day and keep it holy (release new online content on a consistent basis)"
-Like XBLA Wednesdays? Or the Free Gold Weekends with lots of content during every major game conference?

"10. Future launches will launch with one and only one SKU"
-How about if a company has 2 SKUs, the only difference whatsoever between them should be the inclusion of a hard drive, and not a lack of features like WiFi and memory card readers?

#5 skarekr0

skarekr0

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(calderra @ Feb 8 2007, 07:26 AM) View Post

Some of these are great, some are iffy:.

"1. Thou shall not force us to kill for your system"
-What about working longer hours or working two jobs? "People will work more hours... people will work two jobs to get PS3", said Krazy Kenny

"4. You shall not bear false witness against your system specs"
-What about against your games? Like saying "All launch games will be in 1080p@60fps." or "Resistance is running in 1080p at a silky-smooth 60fps", or "Motorstorm is in 1080p at 60fps", or "Killzone is real gameplay".

"6. Remember a gaming day and keep it holy (release new online content on a consistent basis)"
-Like XBLA Wednesdays? Or the Free Gold Weekends with lots of content during every major game conference?

"10. Future launches will launch with one and only one SKU"
-How about if a company has 2 SKUs, the only difference whatsoever between them should be the inclusion of a hard drive, and not a lack of features like WiFi and memory card readers?

on your last one, the inclusion of a hard drive is much more important than the inclusion of wi-fi or memory card readers as it directly effects the games. Youre one of those high and mighty fan boys that holds high regards to everything that ms does and is completely against everything sony does. I agree with this list almost completely, but the 360 didnt make alot of good descions regarding their console either and if you werent so far up ms's ass you would see that and the lack of HDD in the core was THEIR MAIN FUCK UP.

#6 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(skarekr0 @ Feb 12 2007, 01:55 PM) View Post

I agree with this list almost completely, but the 360 didnt make alot of good descions regarding their console either and if you werent so far up ms's ass you would see that and the lack of HDD in the core was THEIR MAIN FUCK UP.

first of all watch the fanboy talk, there are "some people" here who have no room to speak.

also care to explain how the lack of a HDD was "THEIR MAIN FUCK UP"? especially when there hasnt been anything to show this.

back on topic:
funny list, wont happen but i like it.

Edited by KAGE360, 12 February 2007 - 09:58 PM.

#7 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

You guys realize this list is non-denominational, right?

#8 skarekr0

skarekr0

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Feb 12 2007, 03:04 PM) View Post

first of all watch the fanboy talk, there are "some people" here who have no room to speak.

also care to explain how the lack of a HDD was "THEIR MAIN FUCK UP"? especially when there hasnt been anything to show this.

back on topic:
funny list, wont happen but i like it.

Ill answer your question with a question. How many people do you know that own the core? wink.gif

Between caching games, the vast majority of the features on 360 require the HDD (BC, DLC, Custom Soundtracks and things of that nature) and the fact that there are a couple games out there that require the hdd (the first year in), what the fuck was the point in putting the core out there in the first place? I understand, they wanted it to be affordable, but if just about everything about the 360 requires a Hard Drive, then it should have been standard in the first place.

#9 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(skarekr0 @ Feb 13 2007, 12:56 AM) View Post

Ill answer your question with a question. How many people do you know that own the core? wink.gif

Between caching games, the vast majority of the features on 360 require the HDD (BC, DLC, Custom Soundtracks and things of that nature) and the fact that there are a couple games out there that require the hdd (the first year in), what the fuck was the point in putting the core out there in the first place? I understand, they wanted it to be affordable, but if just about everything about the 360 requires a Hard Drive, then it should have been standard in the first place.

none of this explains how it was their main fuck up. all this shows is that you dont understand the true politics behind the core. it hasnt set them back, hindered them, crippled them, or worked against them in any way. with the vast majority of 360's being premium (same with the ps3s), this isnt even a factor worth discussing.

once you understand why there is a core then maybe you will get some answers.

#10 skarekr0

skarekr0

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Feb 13 2007, 08:59 AM) View Post

none of this explains how it was their main fuck up. all this shows is that you dont understand the true politics behind the core. it hasnt set them back, hindered them, crippled them, or worked against them in any way. with the vast majority of 360's being premium (same with the ps3s), this isnt even a factor worth discussing.

once you understand why there is a core then maybe you will get some answers.

It doesnt set MS back, it sets the consumers that fell for it back. No one wants the core, so theyre just sitting on shelves collecting dust. Granted, thats still a console sold in ms's eyes, but really its just a waste of money if no one wants it because it does indeed hinder the users full experience with the 360. Ms is the company that made HDD's standard on consoles for fucks sake.

#11 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:48 PM

So help me follow your logic.

MS fucked up by offering customers options that more suits their individual needs? How does that make sense?

If you want more than a strictly gaming machine (BC machine, High Definition movie player, etc.), then buy the 360 Premium, or either PS3. Sony doesn't give you an option. Sony makes you own a BC machine, High Definition movie player, etc. if you want it or not. You cannot buy a PS3 with solely the purpose of being a gaming machine. In my opinion, that is a bigger fuck up. You are forced to spend a couple hundred dollars more than necessary.

Hell, since PSN is "free", the money comes from somewhere. Nothing is free. I am willing to bet the money comes from higher priced games and/or accessories than necessary. MS even gives you the option on Live. Pay if you want it, or don't pay if you dont want. Sony is 100% forceware. I don't like being told what to do with my money, I would rather choose.

Get rid of the Blu-ray and the Harddrive, and then that is a hell of a lot cheaper gaming machine, 1 worth looking into. I personally, don't want or need BC or HD movie player or Linux. I don't own any Next-gen systems as of right now, but I know when I get enough money, I will get a 360 Core. From a strictly Next-Gen gaming standpoint it is the best Next-Gen gaming option available, hands down.

Edit: And, if I ever change my mind, I can upgrade to make the core equal to a premium.

Edited by throwingks, 13 February 2007 - 06:50 PM.

#12 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(skarekr0 @ Feb 13 2007, 11:52 AM) View Post

It doesnt set MS back, it sets the consumers that fell for it back. No one wants the core, so theyre just sitting on shelves collecting dust. Granted, thats still a console sold in ms's eyes, but really its just a waste of money if no one wants it because it does indeed hinder the users full experience with the 360. Ms is the company that made HDD's standard on consoles for fucks sake.

your missing the point of the whole idea. i'll try to help you out but then im done on the subject. also let me say that i do not agree with this multi-sku approach that both microsoft and sony has done, even though i understand why it's done.

there are multiple reasons why the core exists....

for microsoft it gives them room with pricing their console. one of the biggest issues with cost reducing is the HDD. with a standard HDD it's nearly impossible for any console maker to reach bottom level prices while still making a profit. even if the premium version could not be reduced down to $99 in 4 years, there is a good chance that the core will be. this way they can say they have a console that is at "$X" price, while still having their lead version turning a profit at a higher but good price. basically it gives them some flexibility when it comes to pricing and profit.

as for the consumers and the core, it happens too often that gamers like you and i miss the point of the core package (like you are now). its not easy for us gamers to put ourselves in the shoes of casual/non-gamers, which is the demographic that the core is geared towards. these types of consumers more then likely: do not have a HDTV, do not play over the net, do not purchase that many games per year, do not even play that much per week, and are used to buying memory cards for their system. <- these types of gamers dont know what their missing by not having a HDD, playing in HD, or playing online but at the same time they are less likely to take advantage of such functions even if given the chance. to be honest it seems to me that microsoft was aiming for the millions of casual ps2 owners who probaby dont play online, do not have HD, and are used to purchasing memory cards instead of relying on a HDD. in no way am i denying that they would benefit from a HDD, but like i said earlier, they dont know what their missing but unless they start taking the interest/effort into diving deeper into one of their past time hobbies making it an active hobby they really arent missing much.

hope that helps.

Edited by KAGE360, 13 February 2007 - 06:58 PM.

#13 KaRiL

KaRiL

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(throwingks @ Feb 13 2007, 09:55 AM) View Post

Edit: And, if I ever change my mind, I can upgrade to make the core equal to a premium.

My friends wife got him a core for chirstmas. I told him he should take it back and get the premium, but for the sake of a happy home he opened it, saying "whatever I can just upgrade it like they say"
so he bought a HDD $99
then a wireless controller $49
then hd cables $39
he ended up spending an extra $87,over the price of the premium, and still doesn't have a head set

I think thats the reason the core gets so much crap. Those of us who know, realize that you're going to get screwed if you actually want to upgrade later
If you really choose to just go with the core thats great, but I think a lot of people bought it thinking they could upgrade later and save some money for now, not realizing how much it would cost them overall.

Edited by KaRiL, 13 February 2007 - 10:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users