• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

Microsoft Ad-Share Promises Devs $250K
Posted by XanTium | February 8 12:53 EST

From next-gen.biz:

Microsoft Casual Games has unveiled plans to share a percentage of in-game advertising revenue with casual game developers.

Developers of Web-based titles hosted on MSN Games have been invited take part in the 'Ad-Share Program'. Funds will accrue monthly, with developers sharing a percentage of the gross revenue received from the advertisements shown during online gameplay for their titles. Microsoft estimates that the developers of the five most popular titles are likely to share nearly $250,000 annually, based on current in-game advertising revenue rates.

Full Story: next-gen.biz

#2 minimoebius

minimoebius

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:01 PM

Um, if I pay $60/game, I dont want ANY advertising. I dont want to pay to be advertised to, thats why I no longer to to the theater. If they are making money off advertising as well then there should be no reason for such high game prices.

#3 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

Ingame adds are a way of life now. Look at EA's game like Need for speed carbon and you will see a ton of adds.

Depending on how they do it I probally wont care what adds are there, its like online adds if they dont get all in my face and get in the way I wont care.

You dont want it, but then dev costs are so high these days that anything to get more money back to the dev teams for their games is a good thing as it means more games for us in the long run.

You cant get away from adds, they are everywhere in the real world so its a given they will come to the game worlds as well.

#4 snowcrash8

snowcrash8

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(minimoebius @ Feb 8 2007, 01:08 PM) View Post

Um, if I pay $60/game, I dont want ANY advertising. I dont want to pay to be advertised to, thats why I no longer to to the theater. If they are making money off advertising as well then there should be no reason for such high game prices.

read: Developers of Web-based titles hosted on MSN Games have been invited take part in the 'Ad-Share Program'.

#5 dmitri

dmitri

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(No_Name @ Feb 8 2007, 07:06 PM) View Post

Ingame adds are a way of life now.

Not true. EA is one company that stands out in this crap.

I will specifically avoid any game that has obstructive advertising.
Advertising has no place in purchased media.

-dp

#6 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:22 PM

So, movies should not do product placement
Same with TV shows??

And EA is not alone in this.

Even as bad as EA are, its not that bad.. While the T-Mobile adds on the text messages annoyed me a little in carbon the ingame stuff like the autozone stores I found to be cool. Its a way to blur the game world with the real world.

Also, if it gives teams more money back from making a game and offsetting the huge costs than I am willing to accept it unless it becomes so bad it spoils gameplay and then if it does I will vote with my wallet and not buy those games.

Some games will get it right others will get it wrong but dont go all, this is wrong add have no places in games when its getting to the point where a company may not want to do it but they are being offered alot of money to do it and when your in business and want to make a profit anything that can help should not be overlooked.

Games are a mainstream media now and add companies have noticed how hard it is to sell stuff to young males who like to play games and this is a means for them to try and sell you stuff.

You dont want this to happen then I susgest everyone who does not agree with adds writes to each developer and publisher and tell them so.

#7 Mr Invader

Mr Invader

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

Ads are a part of alot of games now. It makes the game look more like real-life, like in Fight Night Round 3, Need For Speed, GRAW, and others.

#8 vanxman

vanxman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

The issue here is that the developers are now "profit-sharing"... BRILLIANT move from Microsoft! Let me tell you why:

Before, in the golden olden days of ad-free gaming, the developer wanted to protect his little baby (his game) from the big bad corporations that's intent on tapping blood from a stone. He thoughts ads would "ruin the experience" or "dilute the essence".

Now, the developer can make more money with ads. That means the developer will actively strive to put as much advertising in the game as possible. Hey, a game these days is simply a billboard just waiting for a place to happen.

Best of all, it will probably be the developer's responsibility to source these ads as well. So, Microsoft can now passively make some cash, leaving the developer to do all the work.

Did you notice, nowhere did it say the intent is to make games cheaper. It's to make the developer share in the extra bounty...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh wellllllllllllll...

#9 HamSandwhich

HamSandwhich

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

It's for web based games, keep your knickers on.

#10 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

Why would people think this was poised towards xbox 360 games? oh, wait...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users