• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:46 AM

Microsoft: We Like DRM
Posted by XanTium | February 9 23:46 EST

From forbes.com:

Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things are, says media exec Robbie Bach.

* Forbes.com: What do you make of Jobs' pitch?
* Bach: You kind of have to put that in a certain context. They're under a lot of pressure in Europe. They have to figure out how to deal with that. They really don't want to license FairPlay, for whatever reason. We don't completely understand that, but OK. We've been very focused on producing a DRM system. We're willing to license it across the board.
We think that's important. Certainly the content providers are the people who determine what the rights are. Our view is it's our job to provide the technology and the content providers can tell us what kind of restrictions and policies they want to apply to that.
We think DRM is important, and you can decide if you want to do it in the clear, that would be fine with us. You can decide you want to do it with a certain set of restrictions. Our job is to provide the technology you need for that. It's not just for music players--it's for phones, it's for other devices, because all that kind of media is going to flow through the ecosystem. It was an interesting letter, but I don't think it's anything that's particularly surprising.

Full Story: forbes.com

#2 fiveonefive

fiveonefive

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:05 AM

fuck DRM grr.gif

#3 Kraptreon

Kraptreon

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:they smell like cheese but they're not they're more like frogs

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:09 AM

Anyone who likes DRM, please raise your hand now.

Anyway I think Jobs is doing this more for publicity than anything and either way DRM goes, Microsoft is going to lose after making it clear that they like it.

#4 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:15 AM

they can keep DRM in that crap for all i care... but one things for SURE... ill NEVER pay for stuff thats limited like that.

Edited by grim_d, 10 February 2007 - 12:48 PM.

#5 DeathWishkid666

DeathWishkid666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:44 AM

haha he is pissed.....i dunno about the whole ibm dream thing but he is right danm M$......but the new zune sounds cool lol.....

#6 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:54 AM

I hate DRM. grr.gif

#7 schizzlefuzz

schizzlefuzz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Del Taco
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:59 AM

Then run Linux if you don't want Microsoft's DRM.

#8 carllfo

carllfo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:30 AM

biggrin.gif yep, a simple solution that works for me.

#9 TyphoidHippo

TyphoidHippo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:31 AM

Well.... I will. But that's still not going to prevent all the new hardware from taking the "protection" plunge with MS. When the "safe computer" is finished, and "attacker-friendly" computers are outlawed (don't think for a minute that's not where our extremely powerful lobbyist friends - the RIAA and MPAA are headed), I'm afraid things won't seem so simple anymore...

Edited by TyphoidHippo, 10 February 2007 - 07:33 AM.

#10 BRD

BRD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:BMX, Riding Unicycles, Video Games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:09 AM

Jobs is a pretty cool last name.

My friends and I: We hate DRM

#11 quarky42

quarky42

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

DRM is a waste of time, money, bandwidth, and power... I don't want my battery dying in my cell phone because the 20 songs I played took up twice the energy to decode because they came with some completely unnecessary encryption bullshit.

I refuse to buy a single song until: 1. Unlimited personal usage and 2. Cheap downloads. NO! $1 per track is NOT cheap... I need a plan that provides unlimited downloads for a monthly fee and tracks don't die just because I decide to shitcan the service for a few months when I don't have time to download.

I'm sick of this one-size-fits-all and pandering to the media outlets... There is a HUGE market on the internet and if they want in to play and make even larger assloads of money than they already have raked in, then they need to get with the program here...

When I buy a cd it is MINE! Even if I buy that CD used or in a package deal 10-14 cds at a time... I can do whatever the fuck I want with that disk including ripping the tracks and compressing them to replay on my phone, pda, laptop, or MP3 CDs in my car...

If the media industries spent more time working on coming up with good business models and less time worrying about DRM / encryption bullshit the consumers would be a lot better off, happier, and more likely to buy something.

#12 comokepa

comokepa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Feb 10 2007, 05:53 AM) View Post

We think DRM is important, and you can decide if you want to do it in the clear, that would be fine with us. You can decide you want to do it with a certain set of restrictions. Our job is to provide the technology you need for that.

I would have sworn their job was to provide the technology their CLIENTS need. Who the fuck is paying the bills MS?

#13 Knasen

Knasen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

I wont install Vista ony because the DRM crap thing. Making stuff copyprotected isn't the right way to go, instead lower the price on legal music/movies and alot more people will start buy instead of copying it.

If I buy hardware "X" I want to be able to do what I like with it and not being told that I am only allowed to do stuff a few people have decided for mes, screw that !

#14 mojoman

mojoman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Knasen @ Feb 10 2007, 03:27 AM) View Post

I wont install Vista ony because the DRM crap thing. Making stuff copyprotected isn't the right way to go, instead lower the price on legal music/movies and alot more people will start buy instead of copying it.

If I buy hardware "X" I want to be able to do what I like with it and not being told that I am only allowed to do stuff a few people have decided for mes, screw that !

You know whats funny, "cough cough" not funny, i have not seen any forum on the net, that have people saying anything good about drm. Discussing the topic is now exausting, and dosent do any good.

We all need to take action literally. Write your congressmen, write whoever. seriously!!!! educate your friends and your families, strangers whoever.

I will not upgrade to vista, my minds been made up. I tried and loved ubuntu, Now im sticking with it. It really kicks ass. Anyone reading this should try out ubuntu. You wont regret it.

#15 ashlar42

ashlar42

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE(fiveonefive @ Feb 10 2007, 05:12 AM) View Post

fuck DRM grr.gif
Well, you took the best answer and made it your own, so I guess I'll have to add something.

When CDs came out I started buying tons of them (and I still do, I have about 800 of them all payed with hard earned money). With CDs I was and I am still able to create personalized tapes and, more recently, Vorbis compressed files to transfer to my DAP.
Now these fuckers are trying to "explain" to me that this path is bad, and that I'd be much better off paying the same money for a digital copy with less quality (compressed 128 kbs), no hard copy and DRM limitations?

Yeah, sure. On my dead body.

Here you have a music buying customer that you're starting to royally piss off with all this crap. You greedy little shits.

Edited by ashlar42, 10 February 2007 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users