5 replies to this topic

#1 snowbound

snowbound

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:14 PM

Okay here's my question. I need hard drive space on my PC and want the drive in my XBOX. The XBOX is modded with a 160 gig drive and running EvolutionX. I want to basically format the spare 20 gig drive that is in my PC, and FTP the contents of the XBOX to that drive...then throw the 20 gig into the XBOX and 160 XBOX HDD into the PC.

I don't keep many games on the XBOX these days and thus 20 gig is more than I need right now.

Will this work? I had someone do all the original modding etc, so this is pretty new to me, but I am not a novice to similar stuff. Cheers in advance.

EDIT: Title of topic is not really right, but I can't edit it. But you get the gist.

Also, when swapping, will the 20 gig need to be set to Cable Select? I think I read this was the case.

Edited by snowbound, 10 February 2007 - 07:18 PM.

#2 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:54 AM

You can build the new drive with XboxHDM. FTP the C and E drives from the Xbox to the PC, making sure you have the eeprom.

Read the tutorial with Xboxhdm. Build the CD, prepare the 20 gig drive with the CD. If you have a softmod, you will need to lock the drive. Reboot and use option 3 then type lockhd -a.

Put the 20gig in the Xbox and make sure it works.

Use the boot CD in the PC to unlock the 160 gig, if locked. I use a 98 boot disk and run fdisk on the drive then format. It is ready for any PC.

#3 DEEhunter

DEEhunter

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:54 PM

well i kind of want to do the same thing but i just wanna veiw the file of the xboxx on my pc i have the xbox hd in my computer now but it wount show and then i try to do boot with the floppy is does nothing when i start it up and i realy wanna fix it be cause i...replaced...evox dash...wit......original......by..ftp..........

#4 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(DEEhunter @ Feb 11 2007, 05:01 PM) View Post

well i kind of want to do the same thing but i just wanna veiw the file of the xboxx on my pc i have the xbox hd in my computer now but it wount show and then i try to do boot with the floppy is does nothing when i start it up and i realy wanna fix it be cause i...replaced...evox dash...wit......original......by..ftp..........

You need to create a bootable floppy or CD. I prefer the CD made by Xboxhdm. You boot it up with your Xbox HD set as primary master and go to option 3. Then you can type unlockhd -a and it will unlock the drive for you. Use Xplorer360 to view the drive in Windows. After you are done, boot the CD again and go to option 3 then type lockhd -a. That way you aren't typing in the key and having a chance of screwing up your drive.

#5 DEEhunter

DEEhunter

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

well i just tried a hot swap and nothin happened also i cant use the boot floppy thing it wount work it seems like is doesnt detect it it there any other way to unlock it or cant i just use another like 5 gb hd wit the normal dash and do it?

#6 snowbound

snowbound

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Feb 11 2007, 01:01 AM) View Post

You can build the new drive with XboxHDM. FTP the C and E drives from the Xbox to the PC, making sure you have the eeprom.

Read the tutorial with Xboxhdm. Build the CD, prepare the 20 gig drive with the CD. If you have a softmod, you will need to lock the drive. Reboot and use option 3 then type lockhd -a.

Put the 20gig in the Xbox and make sure it works.

Use the boot CD in the PC to unlock the 160 gig, if locked. I use a 98 boot disk and run fdisk on the drive then format. It is ready for any PC.

Thanks for the input.

I followed the tutorial for xboxhdm. The tutorial states I need a copy of slayers evox setup. I obtained a copy of the latest, but it is an ISO image and I cannot extract its contents. This creates an issue with xboxhdm in that I can't put the files its asking for into the linux folder. I knew that the slayer setup would be able to setup my evox on the 20 gig drive, so I decided to burn the image of slayer to a CD and see if I could get the 20 gig all setup. I put the completed slayer disc in the xbox and everything went well. So the XBOX is setup with the 20 gig drive. Now I again switched the HDD's in the XBOX, putting the orginal 160 gig back in the xbox and ran slayer again. I ran the option to unlock the drive...and powered down the XBOX & put the 160 back into the PC. It's recognised perfectly ok in the bios, but when I boot into windows it still doesnt show...so I guess it's not unlocked?

I guess my question is, do I NEED the slayer files in my boot disc for xboxhdm? or will it work ok if I dont add those files? I'm trying to avoid having to search for a non iso copy of slayer. If not then I will go with the advice you gave about reformating the 160 gb drive. Cheers.

Edited by snowbound, 14 February 2007 - 10:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users