15 replies to this topic

#1 XBoxin

XBoxin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 07:29 PM

hello.

well i spent a hour reading up on some of the entry stuff, like mod chips. and some tutorials. and soldering. yadda yadda yadda.

well im just gonna say it. I TRULY HATE READIN lol, i like the basics.

so if anyone can tell me wut would the basic parts needed to mod my xbox are. i basically wanna back up my current games, and future purchased games.

im not trying to do anything technical or difficult.
i'd like something easy to work with, yet still have potential for other possiblities. and i am not leaning towards the matrix chip or the ones that dont need soldering(as they say).
well thanks. and im sure someone will say SEARCH. i am, but i really hate reading long "essays" on modding lol. thanks. beerchug.gif

#2 Flea420

Flea420

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 08:32 PM

Dude, noone wants to sit here and hold your little hand.

But, fuck it, basics are.
Buy a X2 Lite, its a 9 wire chip.
You need to install it, then really thats about it, you can then upgrade the Hard Drive and store games and shit on there and run shit from there, or copy crap to DVD-R.

Oh, and if you want to run copys of your games, you'll need to Flash the chip with a Illegal Bios, and dont ask where to find one, as your already asking to have you hand held because your to lazy to read the Tutorials and Search like everyone else has had to do in the past, if you really want to mod, then you NEED to read the details.

#3 Sephiroth311

Sephiroth311

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 08:36 PM

I agree fully with Flea420, do not be the 10,000,000,000th person to annoy everyone with your lazyness.
If you have a serious troubleshooting issue, or are genuinly confused on a topic you may ask, but this forum is NOT an interactive tutorial.
I do not mind n00bs, but I DO mind lazy n00bs, I (and most other people on this board) will not help those who wont help themselves.

#4 XBoxin

XBoxin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 09:30 PM

okay i get the point.

i've been reading since i found the site.
and well i really wanted to get some input. i mean there are lots of stuff that can do the job.

well its hard for someone who has no experience to just UP AND PICK up a mod chip, HDD, and start flashing shit and gettin deep into the xbox game. i mean i know i should search, and I HAVE. i am, and i will.

i've read some tutorials. and i know noone wants to talk bout the illegal stuff. im not a dumbass.

this stuff can either help ur xbox or fuck it up. so no reason to get mad.
im sorry that i've stirred yall up. but it is the noob chat room or forum and i just wanted peoples opinions.

thanks for replying non the less.

#5 XBoxin

XBoxin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 09:33 PM

okay. well i have a problem now

i want to upgrade the HD.
and someone that offered to mod my xbox. said that "that is not a good idea" , and they over heat. and cause problems.

is this true in some cases or is this bound to happen with a HD?

any recomended HD's that are novice friendly?

thanks again.

#6 Flea420

Flea420

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 09:42 PM

That guy is an idiot.
Replacing your HD is one of the best and coolest things you can do with the system.
Being able to put everything you want and run everything you want including games from the HD is the best.

No, there are no overheating problems.

I have a 7200RPM 120Gig Maxtor in my system, never had any problems. Plus EvoX reports my MB and CPU temps at the same range as most people on here, including those without a HD replacement.

Edited by Flea420, 25 May 2003 - 09:43 PM.

#7 XBoxin

XBoxin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 09:49 PM

wow! i KNEWIT!!

he sounded fishy!

started saying i can mod it, and i asked him wut chip, he said he makes his own, then he recomended "sie" chip and that u can play burned games, and THAT HE HAD ALL THE GAMES EVER BURNED so that way i'd have to keep gettin it from him till i figured how to burn em!

then i told him i have to research this.!! cuz i really want the upgraded HDD. to store stuff.
lol

thanks for clearing it up.

so the X2lite chip is wut u recomend. and is a WD 120gig HDD good?

thanks man.

#8 51mmz0rz

51mmz0rz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 09:50 PM

No, that really isn't true. I haven't heard anyone having their Xbox overheat due to a harddrive replacement. It may be true that a 7200 RPM drive may generate a little more heat (and noise), but nothing significant. However, it may depend on the brand, but the good ones (Maxtor, Western Digital, etc.) seem to work fine.

You do have to "lock" your hardrive if you want to play Xbox Live, so you should always look for harddrives that are lockable. You can find a list of lockable drives in this 13-page thread! http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=41&t=30117
There is also a list here: http://www.merkosh.d...ox/xboxhdd2.htm

I'm not sure if there is a 'novice friendly' harddrive. You shouldn't jump in to a modification like that. Installing any new harddrive is about the same difficulty.

But you should definatly replace your harddrive eventually. With all the awesome things you can do with a modchip installed, 8-10GB just isn't enough.

#9 XBoxin

XBoxin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 09:52 PM

okay. now when i get all this installed and up and running fine(hopefully)

the INTERFACE will basically have options to do all the STORING, playing.etc..

and its easy to follow and all.

only reason im asking is cuz i havent seen any pics of how it looks or know anyone with it.

thanks again. sorry if i've become an annoyance.

later.

#10 XBoxin

XBoxin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 09:55 PM

oh i most likely wont play XBOX LIVE ...ever.

i leave my PC for multiplayer stuff. and thats enuff for me.

so this is a good thing in my case..right?

i most likely will have all the stuff installed by a modder in houston(my location) and i've seen a guy, he is a "certified PC tech" so thats a lil relieving.

basically i just wanted to know wut HD's , Mod chips, and Dashboards are recomended .

thats all i really wanted to know.

thanks yall.

#11 vidgms4me

vidgms4me

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 May 2003 - 09:59 PM

basically i just wanted to know wut HD's , Mod chips, and Dashboards are recomended .

HD: 7200rpm 120gb drives. If you dont need to lock, then whatever is on sale. Don't use IBMs though, ive heard bad things about those.

Mod Chip: for newbies, an x2lite probably is best. Get an x2pro if you want multiple bios.

Dashboards: Evox.

Bios: newest x2bios

just my 2 cents.

#12 Flea420

Flea420

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 10:05 PM

HD - Maxtor, WD or Seagate, whichever is cheapest really.
ModChip - X2Lite
Dashboard - EvoX

You'll need to be able to at least burn CD-RW's to get everything working.
You can copy games to the Console without using a PC, but your best bet is to use Network cable and connect directly to the Xbox using a FTP program.

And dont go for anyone selling "his own" chips, in all likleyhood he would charge you for a Chip, but then turnaround and flash the Tsop (Xbox Bios) which is the cheapest way to go, but definatley not the best. Make sure you do get a X2Lite installed into the system.

#13 Sephiroth311

Sephiroth311

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 02:19 AM

I respectfully desagree with both vidgms4me and Flea420 on modchip choice.
You sound like someone who has virtually no experience with any type of hardware modification (i.e. PC hardware config).
If you know how to take your PC apart and put it back together then you should have no problem with your box's "guts", however if you dont even know what your PC looks like on the inside I would seriously recommend practicing before you attempt modding.

The X2 IS a good chip, I have no reason to deny that, but in your possible case I would HIGHLY recommend the Matrix, no soldering. If youre anything like me you dont know the first thing about soldering (and in my case I didnt have the interest to learn).

#14 gamemaster14

gamemaster14

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 May 2003 - 07:18 AM

Forget the matrix get a X2 Lite plus it has he larger bios ability and all the featurse you want wih a 100% solderless install.

#15 Flea420

Flea420

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 08:45 AM

i most likely will have all the stuff installed by a modder in houston(my location) and i've seen a guy, he is a "certified PC tech" so thats a lil relieving.

Sephiroth311, as you can see, it dosnt seem he plans on doing this himself at all, with someone with some knowledge doing the isntall, anyone would reccomend the X2Lite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users