6 replies to this topic

#1 supergrafx

supergrafx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:05 PM

Anyone try Maya on Linux on their ps3? I have yet to upgrade my hd and install linux. I didn't think Maya required a graphics card on my mac quicksilver. Just wondering if this could work. Use the ps3 to make games! Let me know...

#2 Elusid

Elusid

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:27 AM

Ummm well Maya does require a GFXs card how else can you see? I mean a GFXs card doesn't need to be a totally different card it can be on board video and also Maya is a 3D graphics program, it doesn't make games. Maya would work on your PS3 if you had Linux installed I just bet it would be slow as hell... at least for now until a better version of Linux comes out that can use the PS3 hard ware to it's full capabilities.

#3 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

i would imagine maya would work on it, especially if you were using the native maya for linux.

Might i suggest trying blender on it? it's free and open source software. I've seen some really amazing stuff done with it. AND it's the only 3d software with an integrated games engine smile.gif

#4 supergrafx

supergrafx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Feb 15 2007, 06:45 AM) View Post

i would imagine maya would work on it, especially if you were using the native maya for linux.

Might i suggest trying blender on it? it's free and open source software. I've seen some really amazing stuff done with it. AND it's the only 3d software with an integrated games engine smile.gif

I was thinking of trying to install the maya 8.5 unlimited since my copy'z for mac/linux. I'll try blender too!! Didn't know of that option. Been working mainly in the mac scene only for past decade or so, so the pc toolz, I don't know about too much... I really hope this would work, even at a slow speed, until a more user friendly linux is optimized for the ps3's architecture! I missed out on a 200gb sata internal last night, so me trying this, might perhaps be procrastinated until I get the hd. I'm thinking of waiting for more external options rather than the limited 2.5" option.... So please, if any one has linux and is so inclined, could one see if blender or any maya for linux installs and performs? This will fully justify the spring of the moment 2.5" hd purchase!!!

#5 machineman9

machineman9

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

hmm, they might work, but consoles aint designed for much else more than games and simple applications... you will probably get many errors with the graphics and actually running the program. blender is good (well, for me it doesnt work on PC atall) but unless you are definately using the linux version, expect problems

#6 Echelo

Echelo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:11 AM

Maya v8.5 does not run on a PS3 with Fedora 6. It does install from the rpm, but it will not run. I have been unable to verify any other OS at this time, but it is highly unlikely that it will run on any nix distribution for the ps3.

I have determined this by trying to start it from a shell.

Maya returns the error. "'Wrong Architecture"

Even if it were possible to install OSX on the PS3, due to the fact that the PS3 is using a cell processor, I predict that it will return the same error.

Edited by Echelo, 26 April 2007 - 06:18 AM.

#7 supergrafx

supergrafx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

I just checked my post and thank you all for your predictions as well as trials. I'm in Cali now and my ps3 is in DC for the last two months so I can not test this further. I can't wait until my ps3 replaces my mac. That will be the day. 3d composites on ps3 just would be awesome to say the least. Can't wait...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users